Is it possible to overclock a Pentium 166? >_>

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I've recently been getting into some retro gaming, and I've borrowed my dad's old Pentium 166 PC which has Windows 95 and DOS on it.

The specs I know (as detailed as I can get):
Pentium 166
nearly full 2 GB HDD
a broken tape backup drive, a noisy floppy and a weird non-tray CD-ROM
64 MB RAM (now we're talking! ;P)
Imagine 128 4 MB video card (using some Hawkeye95 driver or something)

I'm forgetting something... Anyway, that's what I can remember right now. I haven't a clue what motherboard or BIOS it's using, haven't even tried to go into it yet.

Anyhow, is it possible to overclock the thing to get some extra performance, and should I even bother or would performance results not be worth it? The video card is the main thing giving me a not-so-hot framerate (borderline playable) in some games, but I figure maybe the CPU can help compensate since they made a big difference back then.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Yes it's possible. I have a few Pentiums - a 120 that could only make it to 133, a 166 that run ok at 200, and a 200 that somehow I blew the 200 multiplier but runs fine at 166...

Most boards back then didn't have the fine-grained controls (1mhz increments) of today, they just had 50/60/66 mhz for fsb (if that) and a multiplier adjustment (up to 3.5x). Generally those were jumpers on the mobo - bios just reported what was jumper set. Some had a 75 and 83 mhz fsb (but rare). Most of the times the fsb adjustment also changed PCI - 25/30/33 resp. 200mhz is 66fsb and 3.0 multiplier

Usually have to use the 'finger test' to see if its getting too hot, but if it boots and is stable...

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Cool, thanks. I'm no stranger to using jumpers or dip switches to overclock... >_> My current motherboard has multipliers on dip switches and BIOS controls over FSB. I'll try the 200 Mhz overclock and see if it works.

RichPLS

Champion
We are not all fortunate enough to have that kind of money just sittin around collecting dust! ;)

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
That is a 18 pack of BEER!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Um, I guess you didn't read my post closely enough, but this is for running retro games, and I gave up on emulation... >_>

My real PC has an overclocked Athlon XP 2700+, 1.5 GB RAM, an overclocked 6800 GT, an 80 GB HDD and a 200 GB HDD. Well, I guess it could be considered "cheap" being 3 digits pricing, but yeah, it'll run all the games maxed out, so I'm happy.

But I haven't been depending on the Pentium 166 since 2000.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some 166's were multiplier capped, others weren't. You can try the 3x multiplier, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

claudehl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sure it is. I did that with an old Abit motherboard. Don't waste your time with the increase the clock multiplier. Increase the FSB instead.

Gotta love the old DOS (now there's a real OS :) ).

Claude

Breeman

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2005
hehe my dos gameing comp is a pII 400 i do believe, and ive only got an 850 mb drive for it.... sorry off topic but hey... i love dos best OS ever made

-bre

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
WELL NOW WE ARE TALKING...

yes yes, i know, im back, for anyone who remembers me anyways...its been a godo 2 years since ive posted here...

anyways as far as the Pentium 166 goes, is this a Pentium classic or a P55c 166mmx??

I overclocked my brothers 166mmx to 233mhz..rock solid stable ran like that all its life minus the first month he owned it...still works too...

-Jay

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I overclocked a Pentium 200MMX to 100MHz bus. That's 300MHz. My highest clock was a Pentium 233MMX at around 375MHz.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
^Good old Super 7 boards eh Crashman??

Those were the days...

Screw this dual ddr 64bit computing BS... Lets play pong!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wanted one of the mobile Pentium MMX 266's, because they used the smaller die process for ultra-high clocks...

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
yea...well my apple IIe went to 9mhz from 5...er ah yea

=P

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+ (down)][2500+][2400+][2000+][1.3][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][X 2.8x2][P4 3.0x2][P4-M 2.4][P4 1.4x5][P4 1.3]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time