Motorola T730C 1x instead of [A] or [D]?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 7, 2005 1:03:13 PM

Hi all

I am posting this message, as my old Motorola T730c got a little water
logged and I had to get a replacement. I was able to find one on eBay
for a good price. After doing an ESN change, so the new phonw would
work I noticed that, rather than standard [A] or [D] to indicate
analog or digital service I get a 1x instead. Can anyone tell me what
this means?

Thanks
Michael

More about : motorola t730c

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 1:17:07 PM

> analog or digital service I get a 1x instead. Can anyone tell me what
> this means?

1x (short for 1xrtt) is the newer standard of CDMA digital service
released about 1-2 years ago. It's biggest impact is that it provides
higher speed data 56kbps vs. 14.4kbps.

It also has a different algorithm for encoding voice, which is why you
are seeing it on your display. Verizon likes the new encoding because
it uses half as much bandwith to deliver a converation, so they could
squeeze more customers onto the same amount of spectrum. Your prior
phone probably had older firmware and wasn't able to use the 1x signal.

-MVL
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:12:06 PM

Thanks

Just wondering, as my mom has the same phone, but hers does not show
the !x.

Thanks again
Michael
July 7, 2005 9:32:16 PM

Please check the firmware version and post here?
I'd be interested in what version you have.

settings / other info / SW version

Thanks!!

<mgrahm@trib.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I am posting this message, as my old Motorola T730c got a little water
> logged and I had to get a replacement. I was able to find one on eBay
> for a good price. After doing an ESN change, so the new phonw would
> work I noticed that, rather than standard [A] or [D] to indicate
> analog or digital service I get a 1x instead. Can anyone tell me what
> this means?
>
> Thanks
> Michael

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 11:55:58 PM

mgrahm@trib.com writes:

> Just wondering, as my mom has the same phone, but hers does not show
> the !x.

Your phone has a newer firmware version. Your mom's can be reflashed
at a Verizon store.

The older firmware supports 1XRTT as well, but did not indicate it.

Thanks.

Jeff
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:58:52 PM

> <mgrahm@trib.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am posting this message, as my old Motorola T730c got a little water
>> logged and I had to get a replacement. I was able to find one on eBay
>> for a good price. After doing an ESN change, so the new phonw would
>> work I noticed that, rather than standard [A] or [D] to indicate
>> analog or digital service I get a 1x instead. Can anyone tell me what
>> this means?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Michael

Sounds like it's setup to run in data mode. Check your menu settings to
reset to voice?

Joe
!