Hot pc

chikit

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
Today, i changed my power supply because i thought it was hell noisy. It was originally a 350W P/S and has 2 80mm fans. Now i have a 400W P/S with a massive fan churning at a low rpm. Its maybe a 120mm. Anyway, temps have risen: CPU has risen by about 9C, Board sensor1 about 6C and Board sensor2 about 8C. I dont know where the board thermostats are. I have a Grandmars NF3 250 chipset (you must be thinkin who is Grandmars. Anyway.) My original temps with the 350W P/S were CPU 40C, B1 34C, B2 31C. I have 4x80mm front case fans and 2x80 rear case fans. Do you think changing the P/S could change the case temps so dramatically? I mean i would think, with so many case fans and with the side panel off it wouldnt make such a big difference. What should i do?

chikit

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
Oh and also, the CPU fan is running faster than before by about 300-500 rpms faster.
When i tried my usual overclock on my graphics card, it started artifacting like mad. So this clearly shows its hot inside? But i really really dont get it. Side panels off, 6 case fans... What difference would it make having a different P/S with only one fan?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by chikit on 07/16/05 10:40 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
this is indeed a strange case.... my first thought is the new psu is rather inefficient, dumping a lot of heat in the case. so if it has low efficiency like 60%, that means, around 150-200 watts of heat is dumped into the case.

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>

chikit

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
[-peep-]. so did i waste $35 bucks? should i change back to my 350W P/S? Is there anyway to refund it or change it do you think? I made the big mistake of getting a no brand P/S. Could i up the voltage on the 120mm fan then?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, a $35 400W power supply? It's probably feeding line noise into the system and making it hot. Yes, I've seen that, I've also seen motherboard capacitors pop in short order from that condition.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
with all the fans you have there is no way a change to a different psu (assuming it blows air out still) would make a difference like that. unless you did somthing stupid like have all your case fans blow out, sucking air from the psu into the case and overpowering the slower fan. or maybe the psu you got is just crap and its somehow causing different readings (unlikely). as far as the cpu fan spinning faster, its probly getting higher voltage now from the new psu.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

chikit

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
well, i changed back to the 350W PSU and temps reverted back to normal. I didnt change anything else but i think it was a cheap PSU, and now i regret buying it ofcourse. Im either gna return that thing or put it in my older pc.
Thanks for all the helps and ideas guys.

RichPLS

Champion
Advice, do not buy another $35 PSU. A descent one should cost double that.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>