Increasing fan RPM

chikit

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2005
Is it possible to increase rpm and therefore get more CFM? How is one able to increase power. I have limited knowledge on power, power supplies and rails. Anyway, can a fan controller increase the rpm of a fan (beyond its capability)? or does it only allow it to reach its maximum rpm sugegsted by the manufacturer. A lot of the fan controllers allow a max wattage of 18-20 per fan. What does this mean? For e.g a 80mm case fan it says on the label 12V DC and 0.13A. 12V x 0.13A = 1.56 Watts i know that much. So does that mean the fan maximum wattage is 1.56W but i can use the fan controller to up it use to 18W? Can we increase the voltage beyond 12volts for the fan?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, you can't go backwards. Your wall outlet for example allows 1800W, but you can't magically turn your 40W bulb into an 1800W bulb, no risk of blowing the bulb trying because it simply can't be done: the voltage is regulated.

12v is the highest DC line in your computer, 12v is what your fan is designed to run at. If it were a 5v fan, you could speed it up with 12v.

If you'd like to modify your power supply to feed a negative 12v line to the black wire and a positive 12v line to the hot wire, you could get a 24v difference, but it's not worth the effort.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Resistors (I believe)
Only downwards though.
But if you have a maximum, you could set up a couple of paths with a larger resistor on each and just redirect the current.

850mhz... How fast are you?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, if you hacked the power supply to use the -12v connector for the fan's negative terminal, and used a 12v lead for the fan's positive terminal, giving you 24v difference, you could reduce that difference with resistors.

Or you could hack your power supply to use the -5v line and get a 17v difference, which probably wouldn't burn out the fan's motor very quickly.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
ive seen a design for a circuit that would convert 12 volts to up to 16 volts, whether or not it works very well is another story. i guess its the same kind of thing that converts 12 volts into 300 volts or whatever for those cold cathode tubes.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's easy for AC current, for DC you need to convert it to AC or pulsating DC to charge/discharge the transformer.

RichPLS

Champion
<A HREF="http://www.corporatedump.com/random/opened.jpg" target="_new"> This works for me. </A>

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>