fishhawk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
I have over clocked my amd barton xp
will not restart after a certain speed
will bench mark fine and run fine
just will not restart
have to shut down and restart.why is this.

fishhawk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
ya i tried that,got a new power supply antec 430
just cant figure it out bugs the [-peep-] out of me
see others with systems close and the barton 2500xp
best i can do is between 2112 and 2148 depending on settings to run stable and restart with out completely shutting down

fishhawk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
the highest i have hadthis is 2250,temps run between 38 and 54c depending on all the settings.I have a good heat sink and am using artic silver3.Have used MBM and bios and they are very close.But that was my guess that temps are just to high some where.will not restart after about 2125.but starts to freeze around 2185. I know it can do better, just cant figure it out.how hot is to hot for this cpu.what was the best fsb x cpu you had.

fishhawk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
no gigabyte ga7vax-a.i had my fsb at 195 x 9 and 10 then she would reboot.right now 11.5 x 193 but will not reboot and would not finish 3dmark o5.kicked me out saying some erro message with 3dmark.i know i need better memorry but this is still crap.runs fine right now no freeze ups just will not reboot or finish benchmarks.I can run all tests with sandra go figure.oh temps now are 37mobo 45cpu.even maxing out the voltage on everything doesnt work.well try try again.at least i will gain finding things out.

fishhawk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
I installed or think i installed the new VIA.
I have installed them before but this set installed quite differrent.It is the newest one.right now i am at 2207 with all voltage maxed.no freeze ups and will run 3dmark and pcmark.but no higher am using 184 X 12 temps are pushing 57-59c cpu and 40-42c mobo.this is not what i had hoped for.it should get higher than 2200.oh well i guess.

fishhawk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
i have tried them right now running at 178 X12.5
works fine except will not restart must shut down and restart.also temps 0f 51-53c at idle.how hot is to much for these bartons.i have been given different answers on this.i am still not happy with the speed

fishhawk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
That is what i thought about the temps were a little to high.i reset my barton cpu a bit ago with a little thicker layer of artic 3 insted of the recomended translucent layer.It did drop temps a couple of degrees but i have never been below 30c on chip set when over clocking.My temps have always bugged me but seems i can not get what i should.My case is a antec with 2 front tt speed control one auto ,one manual and one tt manual in back all 80mm.
i did have one in the side panle but removed it and i do not think it makes a difference.I am thinking about resetting the cpu again just to see if temps change.I know my mobo and memory are not the best but i still should be getting better than this. Try Try again.

fishhawk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
When i say thick i mean not see through.I cleaned the cpu and heat sink very well.the layer i put on is about 1/2 as thick as a peice of writing paper.It is not see through as recomened.My temps as of right now are 36c cpu and 34c chipset.i am also 1 step down on my voltage now at 12.5x177.also passed 3dmark.I do not know why a little bit thicker layer works better on this cpu,but it does.well i am going to play around and see what happens tonight.so far temps are better and voltage is lower.BTW what about the chip set on the mobo can i use artic on that or does it even matter?

fishhawk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
YES I AM SURE OF THAT,GUESS I WILL HAVE TO STOP BUYING VIA BOARDS.jUST THOUGHT i WOULD STICK WITH THEM THINKING THEY WOULD GET BETTER IN TIME.I do have it up to 12.5x182 now bench marking and burn in.It will boot now over 2.3 but will not bench mark.so it was a little gain resetting the cpu.I am going to see how high it will go now before it will not boot.all voltage is maxed but even under load now cpu is between 40c-45c much lower,mobo is the same asbefore.I guess i am getting to stuck on pushing computers ever since i started.BTW thanks for all the replies.