WinXP + Win98se Through a Crossover Cable

amebapk

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
hi, i just got my 32' crossover cable today. i am so confused about connecting a WinXP and a Win98.
i am using winXP, just want to share the internet connection with my brother who is using win98se now.
i tried to use the Network Setup Wizard, but no luck. the connection can't even receive a single packet.
i am doing well on the WinXP, but Win98se seems more difficult to setup a network.
please help me out, thanks a lot.

:)

amebapk

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
yes, i did, while i am using the Network Setup Wizard, it asks me to put the windows XP cd into another computer, then run the ICS from the Autorun Menu.
By the way, does any difference between 2 sides of the crossover cable? or i can use either side to connect to the computers?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
you can use either side

on both pc's go to command prompt, type ipconfig /all and post results here.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
OK. I am doing the samething. I did the same thing as you, but I can access the internet from both PCs. What I can't do is access files/resources on the other pc, which is the main reason for me networking them. Is there anything I need to enable to do this? I am kind of stumped right now because I am new to XP. I never had a problem doing this with 2 98 boxes.

<font color=blue>I want to save the world for my children, but not my children's children, because children shouldn't be having sex. - Deep Thought</font color=blue>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
authentication. You have to "log in" to the 98 machine with a username/password combo that exists on the XP box.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I have to login onto the 98 box with a user that exists on the xp box if I want to access the 98 box from the xp machine?

<font color=blue>I want to save the world for my children, but not my children's children, because children shouldn't be having sex. - Deep Thought</font color=blue>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
going that way I find is unreliable at best. One thing that sometimes helps it to make sure you add netbeui protocol

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

amebapk

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
i just tried connecting from XP to XP, the best i could do is i could share files from 2 computers. but the internet sharing is still not working. i am just thinking to buy a router to make things easier.

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
OK. Here is the deal now. The other pc nolonger shows up in the network neighborhood and I cannot find the other pc. But I can have them ping each other and they share internet no problem. They had showed up in the neighborhood in the past, but they do not currently.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
network neigborhoud is painfully slow to refresh, try typing the nane of the other pc in the address bar
i.e. \\otherpc

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?