Running a G6-400 'headless'

Hi,

I have just acquired a new PC (Dell, sorry - Gateway don't sell in the UK
anymore), and I'd like to confure my old G6-400 as a server running Linux.
I want to operate it 'headless', i.e. without monitor , keyboard or mouse.
As regards the monitor I can simply not connect one, but I think the PC will
not boot if it does not detect a keyboard/mouse.
Apparently some computers have an option in their BIOS setup for running
without a keyboard and mouse, but I can't see it in the G6 BIOS. Anyone know
if this is possible?

Regards, John

P.S. I would actually run the machine remotely via VNC, or you can
temporarily connect a terminal (or portable PC running an emulator) to a
serial port.

P.P.S. I'm using the P21 BIOS.
13 answers Last reply
More about running headless

    It's been a while, but I'm fairly sure that the G6-400 motherboard BIOS allows
    keyboard-less operation. Mouseless is not a problem... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:27:02 +0100, "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have just acquired a new PC (Dell, sorry - Gateway don't sell in the UK
    >anymore), and I'd like to confure my old G6-400 as a server running Linux.
    >I want to operate it 'headless', i.e. without monitor , keyboard or mouse.
    >As regards the monitor I can simply not connect one, but I think the PC will
    >not boot if it does not detect a keyboard/mouse.
    >Apparently some computers have an option in their BIOS setup for running
    >without a keyboard and mouse, but I can't see it in the G6 BIOS. Anyone know
    >if this is possible?
    >
    >Regards, John
    >
    >P.S. I would actually run the machine remotely via VNC, or you can
    >temporarily connect a terminal (or portable PC running an emulator) to a
    >serial port.
    >
    >P.P.S. I'm using the P21 BIOS.

    You should be able to boot the system with a keyboard attached, and then
    remove the keyboard.

    yOn Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:27:02 +0100, John Fryatt <jrf1@ntlworld.com>
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just acquired a new PC (Dell, sorry - Gateway don't sell in the UK
    > anymore), and I'd like to confure my old G6-400 as a server running Linux.
    > I want to operate it 'headless', i.e. without monitor , keyboard or mouse.
    > As regards the monitor I can simply not connect one, but I think the PC will
    > not boot if it does not detect a keyboard/mouse.
    > Apparently some computers have an option in their BIOS setup for running
    > without a keyboard and mouse, but I can't see it in the G6 BIOS. Anyone know
    > if this is possible?

    Can't say for sure. But I just run my headless PCs in basement with
    keyboard and mouse attached (one is my pppoe/masq/router). I normally
    access them with ssh (or Putty in Windows). But in a pinch, I could
    simply connect a monitor.

    Hi Ben,

    Any idea how/where one would set that up. I can't see anything.

    John

    > It's been a while, but I'm fairly sure that the G6-400 motherboard BIOS
    allows
    > keyboard-less operation. Mouseless is not a problem... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:27:02 +0100, "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com>
    wrote:

    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I have just acquired a new PC (Dell, sorry - Gateway don't sell in the UK
    > >anymore), and I'd like to confure my old G6-400 as a server running
    Linux.
    > >I want to operate it 'headless', i.e. without monitor , keyboard or
    mouse.
    > >As regards the monitor I can simply not connect one, but I think the PC
    will
    > >not boot if it does not detect a keyboard/mouse.
    > >Apparently some computers have an option in their BIOS setup for running
    > >without a keyboard and mouse, but I can't see it in the G6 BIOS. Anyone
    know
    > >if this is possible?
    > >
    > >Regards, John
    > >
    > >P.S. I would actually run the machine remotely via VNC, or you can
    > >temporarily connect a terminal (or portable PC running an emulator) to a
    > >serial port.
    > >
    > >P.P.S. I'm using the P21 BIOS.

    Well, yes. I guess I could do that. The keyboard could just lay on top of
    the system unit.

    One reason I was asking about this is that I saw a Sun Ultra for sale and
    looked it up. Apparently these are designed to be run headless, and if they
    don't 'see' a keyboard etc. on boot they go to the serial port looking for a
    terminal. Just thinking about how a PC could be set up similarly. It makes
    for a neat arrangement if you don't have unnecessary clutter around.

    John

    "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
    > yOn Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:27:02 +0100, John Fryatt <jrf1@ntlworld.com>
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have just acquired a new PC (Dell, sorry - Gateway don't sell in the
    UK
    > > anymore), and I'd like to confure my old G6-400 as a server running
    Linux.
    > > I want to operate it 'headless', i.e. without monitor , keyboard or
    mouse.
    > > As regards the monitor I can simply not connect one, but I think the PC
    will
    > > not boot if it does not detect a keyboard/mouse.
    > > Apparently some computers have an option in their BIOS setup for running
    > > without a keyboard and mouse, but I can't see it in the G6 BIOS. Anyone
    know
    > > if this is possible?
    >
    > Can't say for sure. But I just run my headless PCs in basement with
    > keyboard and mouse attached (one is my pppoe/masq/router). I normally
    > access them with ssh (or Putty in Windows). But in a pinch, I could
    > simply connect a monitor.
    >
    > --
    > David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com/
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    It's been quite a while since I last saw them but I remember that there were
    switches that permitted running multiple cpu's from a central location with
    one keyboard and monitor. Don't know or remember who made them though.

    > Well, yes. I guess I could do that. The keyboard could just lay on top of
    > the system unit.
    >
    > One reason I was asking about this is that I saw a Sun Ultra for sale and
    > looked it up. Apparently these are designed to be run headless, and if
    they
    > don't 'see' a keyboard etc. on boot they go to the serial port looking for
    > terminal. Just thinking about how a PC could be set up similarly. It makes
    > for a neat arrangement if you don't have unnecessary clutter around.
    >
    > John
    >
    > "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
    > > yOn Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:27:02 +0100, John Fryatt <jrf1@ntlworld.com>
    > > wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I have just acquired a new PC (Dell, sorry - Gateway don't sell in the
    > UK
    > > > anymore), and I'd like to confure my old G6-400 as a server running
    > Linux.
    > > > I want to operate it 'headless', i.e. without monitor , keyboard or
    > mouse.
    > > > As regards the monitor I can simply not connect one, but I think the
    PC
    > will
    > > > not boot if it does not detect a keyboard/mouse.
    > > > Apparently some computers have an option in their BIOS setup for
    running
    > > > without a keyboard and mouse, but I can't see it in the G6 BIOS.
    Anyone
    > know
    > > > if this is possible?
    > >
    > > Can't say for sure. But I just run my headless PCs in basement with
    > > keyboard and mouse attached (one is my pppoe/masq/router). I normally
    > > access them with ssh (or Putty in Windows). But in a pinch, I could
    > > simply connect a monitor.
    > >
    > > --
    > > David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com/

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    That might be ok, if the system doesn't fall over without the keyboard once
    up and running. I was kind of planning to run the server 24hrs. I'll give it
    a try.

    John

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > You should be able to boot the system with a keyboard attached, and then
    > remove the keyboard.
    >

    > "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have just acquired a new PC (Dell, sorry - Gateway don't sell in the
    UK
    > > anymore), and I'd like to confure my old G6-400 as a server running
    Linux.
    > > I want to operate it 'headless', i.e. without monitor , keyboard or
    mouse.
    > > As regards the monitor I can simply not connect one, but I think the PC
    > will
    > > not boot if it does not detect a keyboard/mouse.
    > > Apparently some computers have an option in their BIOS setup for running
    > > without a keyboard and mouse, but I can't see it in the G6 BIOS. Anyone
    > know
    > > if this is possible?
    > >
    > > Regards, John
    > >
    > > P.S. I would actually run the machine remotely via VNC, or you can
    > > temporarily connect a terminal (or portable PC running an emulator) to a
    > > serial port.
    > >
    > > P.P.S. I'm using the P21 BIOS.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    John, I have a G6-400 and recently erased and re-formatted the HD. In
    trying to find and install the original Gateway drivers for the
    Multi-function keyboard I turned off the system, unplugged the PS/2 keyboard
    and then restarted. It booted up fine. No messages or anything. I'm using
    WinXP. Turns out the drivers were on the original Restoration CD.

    "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just acquired a new PC (Dell, sorry - Gateway don't sell in the UK
    > anymore), and I'd like to confure my old G6-400 as a server running Linux.
    > I want to operate it 'headless', i.e. without monitor , keyboard or mouse.
    > As regards the monitor I can simply not connect one, but I think the PC
    will
    > not boot if it does not detect a keyboard/mouse.
    > Apparently some computers have an option in their BIOS setup for running
    > without a keyboard and mouse, but I can't see it in the G6 BIOS. Anyone
    know
    > if this is possible?
    >
    > Regards, John
    >
    > P.S. I would actually run the machine remotely via VNC, or you can
    > temporarily connect a terminal (or portable PC running an emulator) to a
    > serial port.
    >
    > P.P.S. I'm using the P21 BIOS.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Ken, you're a star! I tried the same my machine and, as you say, no
    problems at all.

    Just goes to show how you can make assumptions and look for answers to
    problems that don't even exist.
    I should have just tried it first!

    Thanks, John

    "Ken" <mnkwms@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > John, I have a G6-400 and recently erased and re-formatted the HD. In
    > trying to find and install the original Gateway drivers for the
    > Multi-function keyboard I turned off the system, unplugged the PS/2
    keyboard
    > and then restarted. It booted up fine. No messages or anything. I'm
    using
    > WinXP. Turns out the drivers were on the original Restoration CD.
    >

    > "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have just acquired a new PC (Dell, sorry - Gateway don't sell in the
    UK
    > > anymore), and I'd like to confure my old G6-400 as a server running
    Linux.
    > > I want to operate it 'headless', i.e. without monitor , keyboard or
    mouse.
    > > As regards the monitor I can simply not connect one, but I think the PC
    > will
    > > not boot if it does not detect a keyboard/mouse.
    > > Apparently some computers have an option in their BIOS setup for running
    > > without a keyboard and mouse, but I can't see it in the G6 BIOS. Anyone
    > know
    > > if this is possible?
    > >
    > > Regards, John
    > >
    > > P.S. I would actually run the machine remotely via VNC, or you can
    > > temporarily connect a terminal (or portable PC running an emulator) to a
    > > serial port.
    > >
    > > P.P.S. I'm using the P21 BIOS.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Tom Clydesdale <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
    > It's been quite a while since I last saw them but I remember that there were
    > switches that permitted running multiple cpu's from a central location with
    > one keyboard and monitor. Don't know or remember who made them though.

    They are called KVM switches. Some have 2 ports with cables, and some
    have more ports (but cables not included). They allow operating more than
    one PC with same Keyboard, Video (monitor) and Mouse.

    I had mixed results when configuring an older PC with Mdk 7.0 for serial
    terminal (via minicom on adjacent PC through null modem cable). In that
    case if I configured serial console for Linux (append="console=ttyS1,38400
    console=tty0 hdd=ide-scsi"), I could NOT see boot messages from serial
    port (except in logs). If I also enabled serial during boot in main
    section of lilo.conf (serial=1,38400n8), I could see boot messages fine,
    but login screen response was very sluggish (seconds for each char to
    appear). In neither case could I see the LILO menu.

    Some server machines (even Intel cpus) can be totally configured and
    controlled (even CMOS setup) from serial port, but not most home machines.

    > "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Well, yes. I guess I could do that. The keyboard could just lay on top of
    >> the system unit.
    >>
    >> One reason I was asking about this is that I saw a Sun Ultra for sale and
    >> looked it up. Apparently these are designed to be run headless, and if
    > they
    >> don't 'see' a keyboard etc. on boot they go to the serial port looking for
    >> terminal. Just thinking about how a PC could be set up similarly. It makes
    >> for a neat arrangement if you don't have unnecessary clutter around.
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >> "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
    >> > yOn Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:27:02 +0100, John Fryatt <jrf1@ntlworld.com>

    >> UK
    >> Linux.
    >> mouse.
    > PC
    >> will
    > running
    > Anyone
    >> know
    >> >
    >> > Can't say for sure. But I just run my headless PCs in basement with
    >> > keyboard and mouse attached (one is my pppoe/masq/router). I normally
    >> > access them with ssh (or Putty in Windows). But in a pinch, I could
    >> > simply connect a monitor.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com/

    http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Davod,

    Thanks for your advice. I did kind of wonder about that, 'normal' PCs not
    really being designed for running as headless servers. The thing was kind of
    triggered by seeing a cheap Sun Ultra for sale, which is designed to run
    headless. Maybe I'll get one of those, or a purpose made Intel server
    machine....

    Regards, John

    > On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Tom Clydesdale <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net>
    wrote:
    > > It's been quite a while since I last saw them but I remember that there
    were
    > > switches that permitted running multiple cpu's from a central location
    with
    > > one keyboard and monitor. Don't know or remember who made them though.
    >
    > They are called KVM switches. Some have 2 ports with cables, and some
    > have more ports (but cables not included). They allow operating more than
    > one PC with same Keyboard, Video (monitor) and Mouse.
    >
    > I had mixed results when configuring an older PC with Mdk 7.0 for serial
    > terminal (via minicom on adjacent PC through null modem cable). In that
    > case if I configured serial console for Linux (append="console=ttyS1,38400
    > console=tty0 hdd=ide-scsi"), I could NOT see boot messages from serial
    > port (except in logs). If I also enabled serial during boot in main
    > section of lilo.conf (serial=1,38400n8), I could see boot messages fine,
    > but login screen response was very sluggish (seconds for each char to
    > appear). In neither case could I see the LILO menu.
    >
    > Some server machines (even Intel cpus) can be totally configured and
    > controlled (even CMOS setup) from serial port, but not most home machines.
    >
    > > "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > >> Well, yes. I guess I could do that. The keyboard could just lay on top
    of
    > >> the system unit.
    > >>
    > >> One reason I was asking about this is that I saw a Sun Ultra for sale
    and
    > >> looked it up. Apparently these are designed to be run headless, and if
    > > they
    > >> don't 'see' a keyboard etc. on boot they go to the serial port looking
    for
    > >> terminal. Just thinking about how a PC could be set up similarly. It
    makes
    > >> for a neat arrangement if you don't have unnecessary clutter around.
    > >>
    > >> John
    > >>
    > >> "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message

    > >> UK
    > >> Linux.
    > >> mouse.
    > > PC
    > >> will
    > > running
    > > Anyone
    > >> know

    > --
    > David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com/
    > http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Do you want to mess with a Sun Ultra and Solaris?

    You don't necessarily need a more expensive purpose-built Intel server. Just
    standard motherboard with a BIOS that allows headless operation... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:34:59 GMT, "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Davod,
    >
    >Thanks for your advice. I did kind of wonder about that, 'normal' PCs not
    >really being designed for running as headless servers. The thing was kind of
    >triggered by seeing a cheap Sun Ultra for sale, which is designed to run
    >headless. Maybe I'll get one of those, or a purpose made Intel server
    >machine....
    >
    >Regards, John
    >

    >"David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Tom Clydesdale <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net>
    >wrote:
    >> > It's been quite a while since I last saw them but I remember that there
    >were
    >> > switches that permitted running multiple cpu's from a central location
    >with
    >> > one keyboard and monitor. Don't know or remember who made them though.
    >>
    >> They are called KVM switches. Some have 2 ports with cables, and some
    >> have more ports (but cables not included). They allow operating more than
    >> one PC with same Keyboard, Video (monitor) and Mouse.
    >>
    >> I had mixed results when configuring an older PC with Mdk 7.0 for serial
    >> terminal (via minicom on adjacent PC through null modem cable). In that
    >> case if I configured serial console for Linux (append="console=ttyS1,38400
    >> console=tty0 hdd=ide-scsi"), I could NOT see boot messages from serial
    >> port (except in logs). If I also enabled serial during boot in main
    >> section of lilo.conf (serial=1,38400n8), I could see boot messages fine,
    >> but login screen response was very sluggish (seconds for each char to
    >> appear). In neither case could I see the LILO menu.
    >>
    >> Some server machines (even Intel cpus) can be totally configured and
    >> controlled (even CMOS setup) from serial port, but not most home machines.
    >>
    >> > "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >of

    >and
    >> > they
    >for
    >makes

    >the
    >the
    >> > PC
    >> > running
    >> > Anyone

    >normally

    >> --
    >> David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com/
    >> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/

  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    > Do you want to mess with a Sun Ultra and Solaris?

    Well, I might, just for the fun of it. ;-)
    Seriously, it would (might) be a useful thing to have on the CV.

    Having said that, I kind of get the feeling, from reading the press etc.
    that Sun are in recession and Linux is on the rise, so maybe I don't want to
    mess with Sun....

    > You don't necessarily need a more expensive purpose-built Intel server.
    Just
    > standard motherboard with a BIOS that allows headless operation...

    Yes, that would probably do it. I was just thinking about David Efflandt's
    comments and thought a machine designed for this type of use might be
    'better'. Depends on cost really. If I got a cheap (cheap!) Sun or server
    box that might be ok, but otherwise I'd go with an normal Intel machine.

    John

Gateway Mice Keyboards Computers