marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is there much of a difference between Artic Silver 5 & Artic Ceramique ??

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

(A64 3000-Venus A8NE-Ultra & X700Pro under construction)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
At a technical/chemical level, yes. For the rest of us, no, not much. Ceramique is supposed to be non-conducting, while Silver can conduct electricity. AS5 is supposed to be slightly better at transferring heat, but the difference is minimal to nonexistant except at the extreem. (and that's debatable - I've seen people report either one being better than the other)

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

Bass

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
Would just a generic work to? I have a big squeeze bottle that has all the words rubbed off and it is hard to tell what make it is.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\
<font color=green>++++W000t++++<font color=green>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Should work fine. Won't cool quite as well (a few degrees) as AS5 or Ceramique, but unless you're pushing it to the edge, that's not a problem.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
My rigs get a 5c drop when using the silver. One only benefits from the silver if the colling sollution is good enough for the heat dissipation required for the chip.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>