GTA:VC won't run any more

Last response: in Video Games
April 5, 2005 6:14:01 PM

I have a relatively modern laptop, a Rock Xtreme 3.0GHz
(www.rockdirect.com). Vice City (and GTA3) fail to start up. I click on
the icon, and nothing happens except that the DVD drive spins up and
the cursor changes to a spinning disk icon. I have tried 1.0, 1.1, and
with NOCD cracks, nothing works.

It used to work, and I got as far as the final Diaz mission, but the
game always crashed at the end of the mission where the screen fades to
white. Later on I had to reinstall Windows, and since then the games
won't even run.

Any suggestions?

Phil Hibbs.w

More about : gta run

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:16:51 PM

uninstall and reinstall
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 10:40:08 PM

Done that. And again. And again.

Phil Hibbs.
April 6, 2005 4:10:11 PM

snarks@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a relatively modern laptop, a Rock Xtreme 3.0GHz
> (www.rockdirect.com). Vice City (and GTA3) fail to start up. I click on
> the icon, and nothing happens except that the DVD drive spins up and
> the cursor changes to a spinning disk icon. I have tried 1.0, 1.1, and
> with NOCD cracks, nothing works.
>
> It used to work, and I got as far as the final Diaz mission, but the
> game always crashed at the end of the mission where the screen fades to
> white. Later on I had to reinstall Windows, and since then the games
> won't even run.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Phil Hibbs.w

I don't think Vice City will run unless you have windows Xp sp1 or 2
downloaded first. That could be the problem.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 7:49:22 PM

"Funky" <Evil@Nice.com> wrote in message

> I don't think Vice City will run unless you have windows Xp sp1 or 2
> downloaded first. That could be the problem.

When I first went through it start-to-finish, it was on a pre-SP1 WinXP
PC...
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 8:23:33 PM

"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote in news:6Kx5e.16480$kr.13683
@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net:

> "Funky" <Evil@Nice.com> wrote in message
>
>> I don't think Vice City will run unless you have windows Xp sp1 or 2
>> downloaded first. That could be the problem.
>
> When I first went through it start-to-finish, it was on a pre-SP1 WinXP
> PC...

Uninstall, defrag, perhaps get one of those shredder programs to be sure
it's gone, then re-install.

If that doesn't do it then get a utility of some sort (Norton) and see if
it can get rid of your registry entries for the game after you uninstall
it. (Assuming you don't feel comfortable enough in regedit to do it
yourself)

Upgrade drivers (I am sure you have, but it bears repeating in case you
forgot). Scan for viruses and spyware, unexplained crashes are often
related to a virus since they are rarely good about cleaning up memory
after themselves.

The disks themselves are in good shape? No scratches or such that might be
giving corrupt data on install? I could see if the original install
crashed and then wouldn't play anymore, but if you have reloaded windoze
then it should be fine (unless you reloaded from a backup and didn't do a
fresh install).
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 8:46:18 PM

<snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a relatively modern laptop, a Rock Xtreme 3.0GHz
> (www.rockdirect.com). Vice City (and GTA3) fail to start up. I click on
> the icon, and nothing happens except that the DVD drive spins up and
> the cursor changes to a spinning disk icon. I have tried 1.0, 1.1, and
> with NOCD cracks, nothing works.
>
> It used to work, and I got as far as the final Diaz mission, but the
> game always crashed at the end of the mission where the screen fades to
> white. Later on I had to reinstall Windows, and since then the games
> won't even run.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Phil Hibbs.w

Have you got any mods or anything in the GTA User Files folder? That might
cause a problem, especially after a reinstall.

I assume that other games etc are working okay on the same laptop? Have you
tried other games that use 3D graphics in particular? Maybe it's a graphics
card thing, and reinstalling the graphics drivers might have an effect?

How is the laptop doing for unused memory and CPU capacity? I don;t know
what else you're running, but some programs can slow down even the newest of
computers. SoulSeek can be a bugger for that, for example.

If you can provide copious information about the computer and what's running
on it, maybe someone can come up with more suggestions. The more you tell
us, the better chance of some good ideas, I reckon.

Cheers

Chris
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:18:56 AM

I got rid of all the skins, and made a fresh new install. There isn't
much running on it, I run quite a tight ship in that respect, I know
about spyware and stuff, and run AdAware regularly. I've got Google
Desktop Search installed, but I've tried turning it off.

I have had some problems with other 3d games crashing, but most are ok.

Phil Hibbs.
April 14, 2005 7:02:07 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:18:56 -0700, snarks wrote:

> I got rid of all the skins, and made a fresh new install.

the only directory an uninstall doesn't remove is the one in "my
documents" called "gta vice city user files" (or some such thing...)

how much stuff do you have in there?
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:36:48 PM

>I got rid of all the skins, and made a fresh new install. There isn't
> much running on it, I run quite a tight ship in that respect, I know
> about spyware and stuff, and run AdAware regularly. I've got Google
> Desktop Search installed, but I've tried turning it off.
>
> I have had some problems with other 3d games crashing, but most are ok.
>
> Phil Hibbs.

Like bryan says, the GTA User Files directory can contain things that might
cause a problem with a fresh install. I believe game saves are in there, but
also some mod stuff.

When you say that some other games are crashing as well, it might be that
your graphics card would benefit from either new drivers or a look at the
settings. What sort of graphics card do you have? Some have settings to
increase graphics performance that can slow your PC down to the extent that
it's better to keep the default settings.

If you are up to speed on spyware and viruses I'll assume that this isn't
the problem. Some people posted problems here after installing XP Service
Pack 2, although I didn't have any problems there personally.

Sorry to keep asking for more information, but obviously the more info you
put here, the more chance you've got of getting the right answer.

Cheers
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:01:42 PM

"Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message

> When you say that some other games are crashing as well, it might be that
> your graphics card would benefit from either new drivers or a look at the
> settings...

Further to Chris's advice, you might also want to consider rolling back to
an earlier driver.

I have one program (3D animation, not a game) that will not run with
up-to-date drivers. I have to use the one on the CD that came with the card.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:01:55 PM

bryan:
>when i eventually get gts sa for the pc (i've pre-ordered it
>from play.com), i'll wait for the patch to come out before
>i actually play it! :-)

If you knew how great that game is, you wouldn't wait. In fact, if you
knew how great it is, you'd have bought a PS2 already. It's the only
game I have for the PS2 that I bought just for that, and it was worth
every penny. :-P I'll probably buy it for the PC as well, so I can play
with the mods that come out.

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 6:30:24 AM

>It works now -

but twice now it has crashed while just driving around. The first time
I was doing a vigilante in a cop car, and I was braking, strafing,
shooting, and turning when it died. Second time, I was just cruising on
a PCJ. Arse. I'll try reverting to 1.0 or 1.1 non-nocd-crack.

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 2:35:16 PM

snarks@gmail.com wrote:

> >It works now -
>
> but twice now it has crashed while just driving around. The first time
> I was doing a vigilante in a cop car, and I was braking, strafing,
> shooting, and turning when it died. Second time, I was just cruising on
> a PCJ. Arse. I'll try reverting to 1.0 or 1.1 non-nocd-crack.
>
> Phil Hibbs.

we tried 3 no cd cracks on Sims2 and all of them caused problems. One
failed to work, one worked until it got in game and we found you
couldn't save and the third seemed to work fine, until you tried to
build or work on landscape and found the tools unusable.
--
Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
Stop and Look

I'd agree 100% there........bought a new slim PS2 with GTASA on day of
release (at 1am ) and never regretted it, even owning a PC and
XBox.....there are also other games which are exclusive and worth buying
(Final Fantasy, Jak 2 +3 , Gran Turismo).......Otherwise if its console only
I go for the XBox (ESPN NFL 2K5.......the BEST Gridiron game I have ever
played....and I have played them all )

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
> bryan:
> >when i eventually get gts sa for the pc (i've pre-ordered it
> >from play.com), i'll wait for the patch to come out before
> >i actually play it! :-)
>
> If you knew how great that game is, you wouldn't wait. In fact, if you
> knew how great it is, you'd have bought a PS2 already. It's the only
> game I have for the PS2 that I bought just for that, and it was worth
> every penny. :-P I'll probably buy it for the PC as well, so I can play
> with the mods that come out.
>
> Phil Hibbs.

April 16, 2005 6:16:38 PM

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 19:01:55 -0700, snarks wrote:

> bryan:
>>when i eventually get gts sa for the pc (i've pre-ordered it from
>>play.com), i'll wait for the patch to come out before i actually play
>>it! :-)
>
> If you knew how great that game is, you wouldn't wait. In fact, if you
> knew how great it is, you'd have bought a PS2 already. It's the only
> game I have for the PS2 that I bought just for that, and it was worth
> every penny. :-P

i've already got it for the ps2! it's loaded onto the hard disk
(hdadvance) so my original disks are nice and safe

> I'll probably buy it for the PC as well, so I can play with the mods
> that come out.

my game play is pants using a controller... i'm more comfortable with a
mouse and keyboard :-)
April 16, 2005 6:17:21 PM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 02:30:24 -0700, snarks wrote:

>>It works now -
>
> but twice now it has crashed while just driving around. The first time I
> was doing a vigilante in a cop car, and I was braking, strafing, shooting,
> and turning when it died. Second time, I was just cruising on a PCJ. Arse.
> I'll try reverting to 1.0 or 1.1 non-nocd-crack.

<crosses fingers>
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 3:21:44 PM

> >It works now -
>
> but twice now it has crashed while just driving around. The first time
> I was doing a vigilante in a cop car, and I was braking, strafing,
> shooting, and turning when it died. Second time, I was just cruising on
> a PCJ. Arse. I'll try reverting to 1.0 or 1.1 non-nocd-crack.
>
> Phil Hibbs.

How much memory have you got in your PC? If it's not enough, you might find
that you get "unhandled exception" crashes when there's a lot going on.

You could try turning down the draw distance and the screen resolution in
the graphics settings menu. That's worked for me in the past.

Cheers

Chris
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:14:37 AM

>How much memory have you got in your PC?

Only a measley gigabyte. I'll try turning some options off or down.

Phil Hibbs.
!