A64 and memory dividers perf hit

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Can you please tell me what is the performance penalty for not running the memory synch with the FSB speed? I am planning to buy a new system. The way I see it I have 3 options (all options have 2.4GHz as a target):

1. 3200+ with PC3200 (FSB: 240MHz / Mem: 200MHz)
2. 3000+ with PC3200 (FSB: 266MHz / Mem: 176MHz)
3. 3200+ with PC4000 (FSB: 240MHz / Mem: 240MHz)

(Memory speed is calculated based on the memory dividers that come with A64 motherboards)

Btw, I am on a very very limited budget here so I anything I can avoid is a gain for me! That said, I would love going for the second option, as long as the performance hit is not too big. If it is, I guess I will need to reconsider. Are there are any reviews around about the performance hit when it comes to memory speed on A64?

Thanks for all your help.

G

Its less than 1% in most case, thanks to the On-die memory controller, the added latency of running off-synch is almost null.

Now as far as memory speed is concerned thats not such a big issues, especially if you're not in heavy multitasking
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2469" target="_new">Click</A>

If you're heavy multitasking with a DC..
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2497" target="_new">Click!</A>

Tats for memory speed over 400 but I guess it applies to lower too!

Hope this helps!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labbbby on 08/17/05 11:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
There are no penalties to use the mem divider. Dont worry about it.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
So, buying Corsair XMS memory sticks instead of Corsair Value memory sticks is basically just for bragging rights? Because I've seen in this forum that when someone asks for a suggestion about a new PC, the replies almost always include fancy memory sticks! From your replies I understand that it would be much more clever to spend those extra money on a better video card for example.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Buying higher quality ram will give you better bandwidth and/or higher clock potential. If you plan on really rasing the HTT then Id suggest getting higher quality of ram if you wan the OC to work. Even with mem dividers, somtimes youd have to lossen your RAM timmings which could result into getting crappy bandwidth. Sometimes you may even have to ditch dual channel.

When it comes to OCing, one really should not go cheap with the RAM and stick with quality. You dont want those odd-ball crashes and/or software corrutpion in your rig.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>