V710 and Bluetooth as a modem for laptop

Tags:
  • Verizon
  • Modem
  • Cable
  • Bluetooth
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
July 8, 2005 11:24:01 PM

I am unfamiliar with Bluetooth specifics but my new V710 has it. I usually
use my cell phone with a cable as a modem for my laptop when I am traveling.
It has worked reasonably well with a Moto T720 and T730 and also a LG
VX4400. I can't seem to get it to cooperate with the V710. I am using the
Moto cable that I used with the T720 and found drivers on the web but the PC
says the USB device failed to start.

I am about ready to buy a new Moto Mobile Phone tools kit. I can get the
software alone, the cable, or one bundled with a Bluetooth radio.

My biggest concern is that the Bluetooth may slow the modem action more than
using a cable. I figure I'll get the kit with a cable so I have the latest
one from Moto (but it's likely the one I have).

Any comments, suggestions, ideas out there?

Thanks for anything and everything!
Paul
PoD

More about : v710 bluetooth modem laptop

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 7:34:45 AM

In article <lpAze.1582$ER6.1424@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
"Paul of Dayton" <F_and_P@NOSPAMameritech.net> wrote:

> I am unfamiliar with Bluetooth specifics but my new V710 has it. I usually
> use my cell phone with a cable as a modem for my laptop when I am traveling.
> It has worked reasonably well with a Moto T720 and T730 and also a LG
> VX4400. I can't seem to get it to cooperate with the V710. I am using the
> Moto cable that I used with the T720 and found drivers on the web but the PC
> says the USB device failed to start.
>
> I am about ready to buy a new Moto Mobile Phone tools kit. I can get the
> software alone, the cable, or one bundled with a Bluetooth radio.
>
> My biggest concern is that the Bluetooth may slow the modem action more than
> using a cable. I figure I'll get the kit with a cable so I have the latest
> one from Moto (but it's likely the one I have).
>
> Any comments, suggestions, ideas out there?
>
> Thanks for anything and everything!
> Paul
> PoD

If you have Verizon, you can use the v710 as a bluetooth modem and get
near-DSL speeds (240,400 bps) for only the cost of normal minutes (free
on weekends and eves). At least it works on my Mac that way.

No special plan needed, no phone tools. Google v710 bluetooth.

m-m
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 7:34:46 AM

On 7/8/05 8:34 PM, in article
nospam-1AD2A3.23344508072005@netaxs.com.client.newsread.com, "M-M"
<nospam@ny.more> wrote:

> If you have Verizon, you can use the v710 as a bluetooth modem and get
> near-DSL speeds (240,400 bps) for only the cost of normal minutes (free
> on weekends and eves). At least it works on my Mac that way.
>
> No special plan needed, no phone tools. Google v710 bluetooth.
>
> m-m

I'd be interested to learn what software, etc., you use to manage your v710
with your Mac...

I'm "new" to Macs and this is one of several functions I'm still trying to
figure out....

TIA!

PC
July 9, 2005 5:41:18 PM

In article <BEF4AA0F.EC4%frytell@cox.net>,
Frank Rytell <frytell@cox.net> wrote:

> I'd be interested to learn what software, etc., you use to manage your v710
> with your Mac...

Only what came with the OS.

Here are specifics:

http://stevenfettig.com/mythoughts/archives/000189.php

m-m
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:18:02 PM

Thanks! I guess I'll get the Bluetooth kit. (I thought the laptop had
it... but I was wrong.)

PoD

!