Bubbles ... I hate them

AINTD

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
I have connected everything and voila! - my computer booted up from the dirst press of the button. I was not installing Windows yet, just looking around BIOS, watching diagnostics. CPU temp was around 36 C (not accurate as I for now have just put the sensor "near" the CPU - on top area between the mobo and the waterblock). Anyway, the cooling system has all of a sudden begun to show bubbles running through the tubes. I have assembled and filled the system OUTside the PC and then carefully installed it inside the case. I find it improbable that there is a weak connection somewhere - it has been working on my table for a couple of hours - no problem. I have three questions:

- Where are they coming from? I can't determine if the amount of air is constant not. (Maybe some residual air from inside the radiator / pump?)

- How do the bubbles affect the cooling?

- Any simple way of removing them (i.e. without unmounting the whole thing for the third time ...)?

- Can the pump break with bubbles in the system?

- Can I just ignore them? ...

I's kind of desperate, I've been doing this PC for a long while already, everything seemd perfect and this just annoys ... bubbles also give noise which kind of scares away from turning the system on. Please advise and help. Thanks.

/// (Copied from the other thread as a this clearly is a different subject) ///

1. If you have a rez and the water is very choppy arond the outlet tube air will get trapped in the loop
2. Depending of the amount 1-5c
3. Add more water
4. Nope
5. I remember when I had some in my loop, they were pretty loud, It bothered me

IF YOU HAVE JUST PUT THIS LOOP TOGETHER LET IT RUN FOR 12 HOURS BY THEN IF IT ISN'T A PROBLEM WITH YOUR LOOP THE BUBBLES WILL GO AWAY.

AINTD

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Thank you a lot! At least I'm relieved as to the system will actually be working, if not perfectly it at leat won't break.

I do hate the noise though - awful.

I do not have a reservoir, unfortunately, if in detail it's:

L30 Pum - CPU Block - GPU Block - Radiator - Thermal Water Sensor - L30 Pump (closing the loop)

Any way removing bubbles with this setup?

I really appreciate your help ... will now proceed with installing Windows. :)

In that case, as long as you have the loop full of water then the bubbles should subside.

Yep, no reason not to go on and install Windows :smile:

AINTD

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
This just keeps getting worse, I found an easy way to "refill" the system: the thermal sensor is conveniently in the middle of the long (relatively) tube which goes from the radiator to the pump intake. So, I put a small plastic tray underneath the sensor and disconnected the joint. I proceeded putting water in the tray and submerging the intake end of the break in the loop in the water, I turned the pump on. In my theory, the pump would proceed taking water from the tray (with no bubbles) and expulsing any air there is in the loop from the other end of the break (also into the tray with water). It worked!

After a couple of whiles I could only hear pump working, no bubble noise. Then I carefully joined the break (keeping both ends UNDER the water to prevent a single bubble getting in)and everything seemed perfect once again. I turned the thing on and a fter a few seconds bubles began to appear again! :((( .... It was NOT happening when I was running the system with the tray as a buffer (hence getting to conclusion there was no air anymore), just when I swithed and joined everything together, it began to give trouble again. It's annoying and really frustrating.

I couldn't find any sign of a leak ... where is the air coming from? No Windows for now. Thank you for your support though, it's nice to feel I'm not alone with this mess. :)

Because there are bubbles in your system doesn't mean your leaking. Sounds like you loop isn't positioned too well in you case.

^^ As wusy said, it would be best to add a rez. How did you get water into the system in the first place, a T line?

AINTD

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
I think I found the place where air comes from - the L30 pump. If you're familiar with it, you'll know the the intake area is rather weak - it's all plastic, you don't screw anything in, you just insert the rotor inside the pump (yes, there is an O-ring) and fix it with a plastic holder which doesn't look too secure. I believe that maybe in the process of installation I moved something. And honestly, I did find some water under the intake area.

And what do you mean by the loop not being well positioned?

AINTD

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
The rdiator is flat on the case floor (taking all the space), the pump is right near it. The CPU and GPU are at fixed positions as you know ...

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Welcome to the world of water cooling are the bubbles gone now.

when the team loses blame it on the noob's I was shot for a plane now my goal it to hunt them down

I have an L30 pump too. I took off the Black front - so you have a blue thing showing. It is much easier to connect the pipe to like this, also IMO looks better too.

AINTD

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
I took it off as well and I do agree it looks better! :) I also am using an adapter for this pump to pass to 3/4'' compressions. The pump is GREAT when using a reservoir or any buffer tank, silent and the flow looks nice.

Can't get rid of the bubbles, I guess I'll have to devise a hand made reservoir for this. It now is working, some bubles are in there, the amount looks constant, it makes some noise but I can live with that for now. The water temp AFTER the radiator is 30C when PC is at boot up stage (having problems there). The CPU temp, I can't say for sure but it's around 36C, room temp is 26C.

The computer is mow at semi-disassembled state, I won't do all the nice sleeving / cables management for now, I want to give the system a good running before wraping up.

AINTD

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
I have added a home made reservoir to the loop, which costed my $0 ... :) Byt it works fine, it's not big, some 400mm, but I don't have it for cooling purposes, rather for refilling and combating bubbles. The thing is now virtually silent, unbelievable. :) Thanks for your advise, guys.