G6-400 UK model memory limitation. Why??

Hi,

I have an old Gateway G6-400 that I am thinking of reconfiguring as a
headless server.
It currently has 256Mb of RAM, and I was vaguely thinking of upgrading it
to, say, 384Mb.

Looking up memory on the Web, however, it seems that the UK model of this
machine is limited to 256Mb of RAM, maximum, whereas the US model can go up
to 384Mb.

Not a big deal, as it's only an old machne I'm mucking around with, but any
idea why this limitation applies specifically to the UK model?

John

John,

If the motherboard in your system is a full-sized ATX board made by Intel for
Gateway, and it has 3 DIMM sockets, the limit is 384MB for sure, 768MB for
certain models manufactured in late '99 or later. Regardless of the info on the
web. Just to be sure, RSVP with the BIOS identifier displayed when you first
power up the system... Ben Myers

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:00:21 GMT, "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an old Gateway G6-400 that I am thinking of reconfiguring as a
>headless server.
>It currently has 256Mb of RAM, and I was vaguely thinking of upgrading it
>to, say, 384Mb.
>
>Looking up memory on the Web, however, it seems that the UK model of this
>machine is limited to 256Mb of RAM, maximum, whereas the US model can go up
>to 384Mb.
>
>Not a big deal, as it's only an old machne I'm mucking around with, but any
>idea why this limitation applies specifically to the UK model?
>
>John

Depends on the board. Most of them have three DIMM sockets and can take up
to 3X256M modules, low density (16X8, 16 chips per DIMM; 32X4 or 8-chip/256
will NOT work).

There is at least one board that was used that has only 2 DIMM sockets - if
you have that one, you can use up to 2X256M, again, low density only. Note
that most RAM these days - especially most low cost RAM - is high density
and will not work on any 440BX-based system.

When the systems were produced, 256M modules were not available, so the
systems are spec'd accordingly.

"John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an old Gateway G6-400 that I am thinking of reconfiguring as a
> headless server.
> It currently has 256Mb of RAM, and I was vaguely thinking of upgrading it
> to, say, 384Mb.
>
> Looking up memory on the Web, however, it seems that the UK model of this
> machine is limited to 256Mb of RAM, maximum, whereas the US model can go
up
> to 384Mb.
>
> Not a big deal, as it's only an old machne I'm mucking around with, but
any
> idea why this limitation applies specifically to the UK model?
>
> John

bits

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2003

John Fryatt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an old Gateway G6-400 that I am thinking of reconfiguring as a
> headless server.
> It currently has 256Mb of RAM, and I was vaguely thinking of upgrading it
> to, say, 384Mb.
>
> Looking up memory on the Web, however, it seems that the UK model of this
> machine is limited to 256Mb of RAM, maximum, whereas the US model can go up
> to 384Mb.
>
> Not a big deal, as it's only an old machne I'm mucking around with, but any
> idea why this limitation applies specifically to the UK model?
>
> John

I install 768MB of ram per advice here is it worked ok, but slowly.

When I took out the third stick it runs much faster on 98SE.

Is ther a patch or work around so I can use all 3 sticks?

John

Hi Ben,

The board does have three DIMM sockets, two of which currently have 128Mb
modules in them.

The BIOS id is: 4M4PB0X1.1SA.0033.P21

The label on the back of the machine says it was made in 1998, so I guess
that means a limit of 384Mb.

I am a little perplexed as to why several memory suppliers (reputable one,
such as Crucial) should say, quite specifically, that the UK model G6-400
has a max. memory config. of 256Mb. Any thoughts?

I have a vague recollection that I did try more than 256Mb of memory years
ago, by reinstalling the original 64Mb the system came with into the third
slot. It must have worked as I can remember seeing a yellow exclamation mark
in Device Manager (i.e. Windows booted up and ran).
In the end I took it out as I didn't like that yellow mark being there. :)
At the time I didn't know what the problem was, but now I am thinking it
might be a conflict with the Adaptec 2910 SCSI card, which appears to have a
memory allocation at about 264Mb.

John

> John,
>
> If the motherboard in your system is a full-sized ATX board made by Intel
for
> Gateway, and it has 3 DIMM sockets, the limit is 384MB for sure, 768MB for
> certain models manufactured in late '99 or later. Regardless of the info
on the
> web. Just to be sure, RSVP with the BIOS identifier displayed when you
first
> power up the system... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:00:21 GMT, "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have an old Gateway G6-400 that I am thinking of reconfiguring as a
> >headless server.
> >It currently has 256Mb of RAM, and I was vaguely thinking of upgrading it
> >to, say, 384Mb.
> >
> >Looking up memory on the Web, however, it seems that the UK model of this
> >machine is limited to 256Mb of RAM, maximum, whereas the US model can go
up
> >to 384Mb.
> >
> >Not a big deal, as it's only an old machne I'm mucking around with, but
any
> >idea why this limitation applies specifically to the UK model?
> >
> >John

Windows 95, 98, and ME all have a built-in limitation of 512MB for reliable
operation. I have seen workarounds to use more than 512MB, but never tried any.
I would suggest sticking with 512MB or upgrading to Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:39:41 -0400, bits <bits@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>John Fryatt wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an old Gateway G6-400 that I am thinking of reconfiguring as a
>> headless server.
>> It currently has 256Mb of RAM, and I was vaguely thinking of upgrading it
>> to, say, 384Mb.
>>
>> Looking up memory on the Web, however, it seems that the UK model of this
>> machine is limited to 256Mb of RAM, maximum, whereas the US model can go up
>> to 384Mb.
>>
>> Not a big deal, as it's only an old machne I'm mucking around with, but any
>> idea why this limitation applies specifically to the UK model?
>>
>> John
>>

>I install 768MB of ram per advice here is it worked ok, but slowly.
>
>When I took out the third stick it runs much faster on 98SE.
>
>Is ther a patch or work around so I can use all 3 sticks?
>
>John

John,

The MP440BX motherboard will definitely handle 384MB. As Edward Neth states,
768MB is probable.

As for the conflict with the Adaptec card, I would suggest uninstalling its
drivers, then reinstalling when more memory is present. It sounds like the
Adaptec 2910 wants to grab some system RAM for its own use. Never tried a 2910.
Never had trouble with any of the 2940 series... Ben Myers

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:42:12 GMT, "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi Ben,
>
>The board does have three DIMM sockets, two of which currently have 128Mb
>modules in them.
>
>The BIOS id is: 4M4PB0X1.1SA.0033.P21
>
>The label on the back of the machine says it was made in 1998, so I guess
>that means a limit of 384Mb.
>
>I am a little perplexed as to why several memory suppliers (reputable one,
>such as Crucial) should say, quite specifically, that the UK model G6-400
>has a max. memory config. of 256Mb. Any thoughts?
>
>I have a vague recollection that I did try more than 256Mb of memory years
>ago, by reinstalling the original 64Mb the system came with into the third
>slot. It must have worked as I can remember seeing a yellow exclamation mark
>in Device Manager (i.e. Windows booted up and ran).
>In the end I took it out as I didn't like that yellow mark being there. :)
>At the time I didn't know what the problem was, but now I am thinking it
>might be a conflict with the Adaptec 2910 SCSI card, which appears to have a
>memory allocation at about 264Mb.
>
>John

>> John,
>>
>> If the motherboard in your system is a full-sized ATX board made by Intel
>for
>> Gateway, and it has 3 DIMM sockets, the limit is 384MB for sure, 768MB for
>> certain models manufactured in late '99 or later. Regardless of the info
>on the
>> web. Just to be sure, RSVP with the BIOS identifier displayed when you
>first
>> power up the system... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:00:21 GMT, "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I have an old Gateway G6-400 that I am thinking of reconfiguring as a
>> >headless server.
>> >It currently has 256Mb of RAM, and I was vaguely thinking of upgrading it
>> >to, say, 384Mb.
>> >
>> >Looking up memory on the Web, however, it seems that the UK model of this
>> >machine is limited to 256Mb of RAM, maximum, whereas the US model can go
>up
>> >to 384Mb.
>> >
>> >Not a big deal, as it's only an old machne I'm mucking around with, but
>any
>> >idea why this limitation applies specifically to the UK model?
>> >
>> >John

Basically, the patch tells DOS (95/98/ME) to ignore the memory over 512M, so
you may as well just remove it.

"bits" <bits@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> John Fryatt wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an old Gateway G6-400 that I am thinking of reconfiguring as a
> > headless server.
> > It currently has 256Mb of RAM, and I was vaguely thinking of upgrading
it
> > to, say, 384Mb.
> >
> > Looking up memory on the Web, however, it seems that the UK model of
this
> > machine is limited to 256Mb of RAM, maximum, whereas the US model can go
up
> > to 384Mb.
> >
> > Not a big deal, as it's only an old machne I'm mucking around with, but
any
> > idea why this limitation applies specifically to the UK model?
> >
> > John
> >

> I install 768MB of ram per advice here is it worked ok, but slowly.
>
> When I took out the third stick it runs much faster on 98SE.
>
> Is ther a patch or work around so I can use all 3 sticks?
>
> John

Thanks all for your advice. Once I've got my new machine sorted out I'll
have a go at the old one and see what I can do.

Regards, john

"John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an old Gateway G6-400 that I am thinking of reconfiguring as a
> headless server.
> It currently has 256Mb of RAM, and I was vaguely thinking of upgrading it
> to, say, 384Mb.
>
> Looking up memory on the Web, however, it seems that the UK model of this
> machine is limited to 256Mb of RAM, maximum, whereas the US model can go
up
> to 384Mb.
>
> Not a big deal, as it's only an old machne I'm mucking around with, but
any
> idea why this limitation applies specifically to the UK model?
>
> John

TRENDING THREADS