How fast is fast Enough?

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
ok so i might upgrade my proccesor and motherboard soon because i thinks its holding back my 6800. i have a athlon xp3200 right now but i probably want a good enough cpu so i could just ladder my way throught this and get a new vid card later on. any ideas? Thank You

Looking for a fender jaguar/ jag-stang. has to be a lefty.
Email: CharlesJReel@hotmail.com

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I agree. I don't think your 3200+ will be holding you back in any noticable way. How much RAM do you have? That's more likely to be your problem.

Battlefield2 is a good example of a RAM-hungry game. More than 1Gb is necessary there for smooth play.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
i have a gig of ocz performance. ya my system works great i was just thinking for the future.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
By the time you actually <i>need</i> those parts, they'll cost a crapload less, so you may as well wait until then.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
In response to the topic title:
I once asked a client if the computer was too fast, and he replied, "too fast is never fast enough", so there you go...

My Athlon XP 2700+ is currently running at... I believe it's 13.5 x 166. Whichever multiplier would get it to apx. 2.25 Ghz.

I have a 6800 GT in my system, and the only games I notice a bottleneck (not including load times... >_>) are Half-Life² and the other Source/Steam games, which are highly CPU dependant.

Everything else seems to run fine. I get Doom 3 Ultra, Battlefield 2 Ultra_High, Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory and all that running smoothly quite easily.

A 3200+ (XP Barton or any 64 core) shouldn't be bottlenecking a 6800 class card at all.

"<i>sometimes i fantasize about gyro.... one day, he will evolve into pure energy and become lord of the universe. he is love.</i>" ~Nater255

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
It's a config tweak to use the higher quality graphics levels.

"<i>sometimes i fantasize about gyro.... one day, he will evolve into pure energy and become lord of the universe. he is love.</i>" ~Nater255

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
ya your right lol its just you see everyone with all that high end crap, and your like o....well this athlon xp is 3 years old....i just wanna play some stalker, fear, and quake 4 if they ever come out...Thank You