ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
i dont' think i'll ever need this, but just in case i do, i was wondering what the steps are for underclocking. Just lower FSB or do i need to change voltage and other things too? Specs in Sig.
Thanks from now.

--> Pentium 4 630 With 64 Bit Windows - MSI 915P Neo2 - Radeon X700 Pro 128MB - Sound Blaster Audigy - IDE 60GBx2 Raid 0 - IDE 80GB - 350W Power Supply (Need Better) <--

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Just lower the FSB - no need to do anything else.

Why the "Hell" would you want to lower the FSB? No gains I know off.

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just lower the bus speed. If you're underclocking to make the machine run cooler, you can also lower the core voltage, but this isn't needed just to run slower.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
I do live in saudi arabia with an average temp. of 35C and the lowest i've known since i was born (16 years) is about 20C (in winter). i just needed this just in case, we do all have Air Conditioning anyway, and luckily the power is very stable. THanks for the replies guys.

--> Pentium 4 630 With 64 Bit Windows - MSI 915P Neo2 - Radeon X700 Pro 128MB - Sound Blaster Audigy - IDE 60GBx2 Raid 0 - IDE 80GB - 350W Power Supply (Need Better) <--<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Ara on 10/01/05 04:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

nuncio900

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2005
ok...even I know that underclocking is not nessecary. Even though you live in saudi arabia there is no need to underclock it. You have an average temp of 35c which is very good, so I'll assume that your computer is not stock. I run mine at about 32C so your fine right there, unless you are already experiencing so heat-related problems.

The noob at computers...the owner @ CoD:UO

<b>AMBIENT Temperature</b>

</font color=white><b><font color=red>■ ■ <font color=blue>■ ■ <font color=orange>■ ■ <font color=green>■ ■ </font color=green>■ ■ </font color=orange>■ ■ </font color=blue>■ ■</font color=red></b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
He's talking about the weather.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Just underclocking won't affect your temps by much. under<i>volting</i> will, but then your CPU might not run at stock speeds due to insufficient voltage, so you'd then <i>need</i> to underclock in order to keep it stable.

If you're lucky, your CPU might run at its stock speeds with lower voltage anyway.

My old Athlon XP1700+ (stock speed 1.46Ghz, stock voltage ~1.5V IIRC) would actually run at 2Ghz, with only 1.4V. The result being it's full Load temp was about 3C above the motherboard temp, even though it was <i>over</i>clocked.

To answer your basic question though, yes, just reducing FSB should be sufficient to underclock your PC - but just that won't really have <i>that</i> much effect.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
any risks at all of damaging the processor? i know it's not logical and i wouldn't think so, but i would still like to know.
thnx all

--> Pentium 4 630 With 64 Bit Windows - MSI 915P Neo2 - Radeon X700 Pro 128MB - Sound Blaster Audigy - IDE 60GBx2 Raid 0 - IDE 80GB - 350W Power Supply (Need Better) <--

your system could become unstable if you underclock beause the voltage might not be enough to run your processor.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com/nutshell.mp3" target="_new">"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."</A>
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apathetic As<i></i>shole.}=-</A>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Quite the opposite actually. It'll theoretically increase the lifespan of the CPU.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>