• Font
  • Games
  • RPG
  • FPS
  • Internet
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
October 29, 2003 6:36:30 AM

Welcome to the REAL WORLD, love the great visuals on MotoGP2, any other racing games I should try?>

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

More about : fps rpg suck good racing games

October 29, 2003 7:08:04 PM

No
October 29, 2003 8:35:42 PM

need for speed games are pretty fun. porshe unleashed is fun. grand turismo is awsome but i dont think they have that on comp yet

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
Related resources
October 29, 2003 8:52:10 PM

I like NFS HP2 but unfortunately saw no increased eye candy going from a DX7-8.0 crossbreed card (the Radeon) to a DX9 card (9600 Pro).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 1, 2003 10:51:07 PM

Live for Speed is incredibly fun (at least the demo is). Very realistic. Lot's of realism although not much extra eye candy being just a DX8.1 game.

I love the FWD car. It just feel so familiar.

The rear-wheel drive car is another story. I'm having a difficult time with it. (Too many years of FWD conditioning I think). I'm so used to understeer at the limits.

With FWD you just drive a bit past the apex and mash the accelerator. The only tricky part is before the apex, timing your braking and figuring out how much trail braking you can get away with.

With rear-wheel drive I just can't adjust. Feathering the accelerator after the apex when all I want to do is mash it is a difficult mental switch. The turn-in adjustment is even more difficult.

Anyway, Live for Speed is a game with lots of simulator aspects without being ridiculous. They left the fun in the game.

You can download the demo or the full game from, <A HREF="http://www.liveforspeed.net" target="_new">www.liveforspeed.net&lt;/A>.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
November 3, 2003 5:41:06 PM

I agree with you: Live for Speed is a really good racing game. I have the same problem with the RWD, but I think that the if the car had the same power than the first one (that is almost none) the oversteer would be a lot easier to handle.

LFS is more on the simulator side of racing. CrashMan said he like NFS HP2 (which in my opinion was pure arcade racing) than he may think that LFS is a bit to tough to master.

If you like NFS HP2 than wait for NFS Undergound which should be released before christamas. It looks very good.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies
November 3, 2003 6:47:16 PM

I disagree on the power, the cars seem almost equal to me obtaining nearly identical 110 MPH top speed durings the long straitaway. I think the difference is gearing.

I tried softening the rear suspension and stiffening the front suspension. I finally managed to complete 3 laps without a spinout but my times are terrible. I'm 30 seconds slower (for the 3 laps) with the RWD car than with the FWD car.

I hate the fact that you can't just buy this game. I don't like the online validation. I don't bootleg software but I want the option of installing software without the need for internet connection.

I want to buy this game for my nephew (he loves the demo too) but I'm worried if the Live for Speed project ends there will be no way to re-install the game.

Yes, it's a pretty pure simulator put it's more fun and it's a lot easier to drive the cars than in say the Grand Prix series of games.

November 4, 2003 1:46:58 AM

Yeah I know it's a big trouble buying the game through the internet (although I am did not buy it yet). But you have to understand that the developpers are only a couple of guys. There is no big company behind them that could support the release expenses and every thing. So the internet is the only way left.

For the RWD: I lowered the car quite a bit which gives it more stability, but you must be careful with the kerbs.

You're right for the Grand Prix series. I was really good at GP2 but then for GP3 and GP4 they accentuated the realism level and the cars are just too hard to drive. I always spin out.

November 4, 2003 2:53:18 AM

I understand the need internet distribution. Can't beat it for low cost.

From what I can learn the validation system is quite good at protecting their property. You pay, you obtain an ID, you log-in, you get a key, and the key combined with an auto-activation system unlocks the game. Presumably you can't do multiple unlocks with the one key. Pretty good security.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you can do multiplie installs. I can't find a EULA describing usage terms so I don't know.

Anyway, I'll see if my nephew still wants the game after a week of so of playing with the demo. Right now, neither one of us can stop playing it.

Low suspension is good unless it runs out of travel. Once that happens then there can be no more weight shift to the outer wheels. The car looses grip and you get a spin.

November 5, 2003 6:10:40 PM

anyone's tried Colin McRae Rally 3 or CMR 2004 yet? i am dying to get either of the two games.

<b><font color=red>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</b></font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheMask on 11/06/03 01:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 5, 2003 6:36:44 PM

Try this setup for the RWD.

<b><pre>Suspension Rear Front
Ride Height</b> 0.096 M 0.099 M
<b>Stiffness</b> 46.1 kN/M 56.3 kN/M
<b>Anti-Roll</b> 49.0 kN/M 60.5 kN/M</pre><p><b><pre>Tire Pressure</b> 34.9 PSI 34.9 PSI</pre><p><b><pre>Brakes
Bias Rear-Front</b> 0.76</pre><p><b><pre>All other settings stock.</pre><p></b>This makes for a very neutral car.

I'm 20 seconds faster (for 3 laps) with this setup than with stock trim.

By the way, watch out for about the first half lap. I think LFS factors in cold tires in their grip calculations. I swear the cars are twitchier until the tires warm up. (Maybe it's just my imagination :smile: ).

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 11/05/03 03:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 5, 2003 7:56:36 PM

I would not be surprise that LFS consider that factor too. It is very detailed. I'll try your settings once I get the time to play, I'm very busy right now and don't have time (this is very very bad).

For Collin McRae 3, I played it. My impressions where pretty good in general, a couple things bugged me such as the very weird grip level on some surfaces, the fact that you could only play with Ford Focus while in career mode. Also there is only two difficulty level which doesn't do a good job. Easy is way too easy: I finish with over 3 minutes over the rest of the field. At the tough level I almost can't win a race (only won once or twice).

November 5, 2003 9:13:21 PM

Ok, I'm officially addicted.

I've got a car setup I like but I want to drive better.

I've always considered force feedback to be a novelty, especially with the wheels that I have tried. They were all clunky and I did not like the feeling of gears turning. However, I've never had a game where I thought I needed to be able to "feel" the road, until now.

I need to know what the front wheels are doing. I hope that force feedback will be better at this than just having visual cues alone.

November 5, 2003 10:30:25 PM

With my force feedback wheel you can feel the rear of the car 'getting out' of the trajectory when you oversteer, but I never notice any feeling of the front wheels. Except when going over the kerbs. Maybe I did not pay enough attention or maybe my wheel is not good enough?

The force feedback will help you a bit when oversteering because you feel it much earlier than you can see it. So you can adjust faster.

Have you tried drifting in LFS. It's really tough getting around a corner with a nive drift, but it's all worth it when you look at the replay. Drifts look nice but are not good for your lap time.

November 6, 2003 12:34:45 AM

Drifts? No, except by accident. I mostly concentrate on late braking and high exit speeds.

I still can't perform trail braking with the RWD car, at least not consistently.

November 6, 2003 9:03:18 AM

Try NeedForSpeed Underground, the DEMO is out you can get it at www.worthplaying.com under the PC section. It's really awesome, much like Gran Turismo where you an fix up the cars and stuff. It also features online mode where you can race or drag race other players online. Quite fun.
November 6, 2003 1:03:36 PM

I always liked the NFS series. As an arcade game it was lots of fun.

Even though I've enjoyed arcade style racing more than pure simulations I still lost interest in the NFS series with Porche unleashed, when I discovered that 911s understeer in the game. This was too unreleastic for me. I was just plain ridiculous.

However, I will take a look at NFS:Underground. Thanks.

p.s. Gran Turismo on Playstation was a lot of fun. Always wished that series was brought to the PC.

November 7, 2003 12:06:57 AM

You should try drifting. I know it's not good racing. But one it's a lot of fun and you also learn how to control the car when you make a mistake.

I'll download the NFS underground demo and check it out. Looks nice.

November 7, 2003 12:19:11 AM

I forgot: trail braking and me usually ends up in drift (about 50% of the time) that's why I talk so much about drift.

Damn that it's hard to drive a car to its limits.

November 7, 2003 1:31:40 AM

I was drifting plenty today.

I haven't got that car setup just right. I can't get quite enough turn-in to do trail braking well.

The car understeers during braking but is pretty neutral in corners and is easy steer with the throttle. I'm close.

I was thinking about getting the Act Labs professional pedals but I've been in the habit of doing left foot braking. Having to use a clutch will throw my timing off.

Driving at the limits is really difficult. I truly appreciate the skills of race drivers.

If this were real-world I would have destroyed a car about once every 5 laps. LOL!

November 7, 2003 11:27:52 AM

When playing race game I always left foot brake. I find that I have better lap times when I do.

You say you destroy the car every once in five laps. That's nothng: I would have killed myselve about 100 times if it were real life. On the other hand, if it were real life I certainly would not take some corners at the speed I'm taking them in the game. The lack of repercusion replaces my normally carfull driving by an agrssive driving.

November 7, 2003 12:13:36 PM

Quote:
I would have killed myselve about 100 times if it were real life.

LOL! How many lives do you have in "real life"?

When trying to race hard (but realistically) I often slide off the track often but usually coming to a stop before hitting a barrier. The time I do hit the barrier I would deem non-fatal in real life but who knows. As you say, this is the benefit of simulation.

I forgot about racing the circuit in the reverse direction. That second turn (after the long sweep up and over the hill) is very difficult. Several times I would have killed myself there.

November 7, 2003 9:18:53 PM

I get a lot more problems when driving against the CPU, sometimes it seems that the other cars just don't see you. Also they sometimes slow down a places that I go full speed. This triggers some evasive manoeuvers that usually end up pretty badly.

November 8, 2003 4:08:10 AM

Computer cars are annoying. Mostly I just practice car control on an empty track.

Later I'll try online opponents.

November 8, 2003 2:33:52 PM

I tried the NFS Underground demo. The demo is pretty limited but from the little I could see: the game is promising.

The graphics are just incredible. There is a lot of details on the track. The cars are well done. I played on my 1.4Ghz Athlon with an ATI Radeon 9500Pro, and did not have a single glitch running at 1024x768 with almost all settings max out. The only two I did not max out are the speed blur: annoying, and the light effects on the car: just too much, it transforms the car into a mirror.

The sound is also really good. Nice engine sound; although there is only one engine to listen.

For the game play, like I said the demo is very limited (just one car, the 350Z, with one track or one drag straight). The car control is pretty good. But there are some minor problems in my opinion.
1) The cars are incredibly "grippy". It's almost impossible to loose the car when turning: it just sticks to the road no matter what. The only time I was able to make the car spin out is while taking a corner over 70 Mph and putting the NOS.
2) The cars at high speed become very unstable. Which seems a bit unrealistic considering the amount of wings they put on the car.
3) Also there is a big lag between the Engine RPM and your throttle input. I don't know if it is there on purpose to simulate the turbo lag or something like that. But it's way too much.
4) The biggest problem: there is no damage model. Hit whatever you want at whatever speed you want, and you always end up with a perfect car. I hate not having a damage model like in NFS Porsche Unleashed.

Is the game worth buying? I don't know yet. But it's defenitly worth checking it out.

November 8, 2003 6:02:44 PM

I have not liked car physics in any of the NFS games except the first one.

Not many games seem to have stability at speed. I don't know if this has something to do with steering wheels or what. Try any game, drive at 70 mph. Notice how difficult it is to stay in one lane compared to real world driving.

I'll still take a look. I like games that look good, just to see them.

November 11, 2003 5:42:05 PM

IMO Porsche Unleashed was the best NFS, the physics and the damage model were amazing. The career mode was a new concept, that did not just involve going from point A to point B.

I think that every racing game should have a damage model because you have to be alot more careful when there is a chance that you completly destroy your car. And that's the real challange of racing, go as fast as you can without killing yourself. Without damage model, you can bump on the scenery to gain unfair advantages.

!