Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 freezes during restart!!

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
November 9, 2010 9:45:53 PM

Hi. I have win 7 pro 64 bit. Whenever i try to restart, it freezes. Then i have to manually restart my comp. :cry:  Anyone know whats wrong?

More about : win freezes restart

a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2010 10:46:52 PM

sounds like you have something still running in the background locking it up.
could be a number of things:
try removing all USB attached devices except keyboard and mouse if they are USB and try it again to restart
pull up task monitor before closing down and look at what's running, all processes.
m
l
November 9, 2010 10:54:53 PM

Well, my best option - format. Back-up what you need and do a fresh install. Something is deffinitly conflicting with your OS. Maybe windows is conflicting with windows - something could be missing.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2010 11:05:20 PM

a good re-format, a nice clean sweep and install of windows is a move..
m
l
November 9, 2010 11:18:53 PM

v1zzle said:
Well, my best option - format. Back-up what you need and do a fresh install. Something is deffinitly conflicting with your OS. Maybe windows is conflicting with windows - something could be missing.

i forget which is a fresh install. Is it deleting the partition and reinstalling completely? or the other one?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2010 11:23:36 PM

deleting and re-installing.
m
l
November 18, 2010 11:11:56 PM

i was browsing the web and found out that others have similar problems. Are there any other solutions besides reformating? I want to make that my last option.
m
l
November 18, 2010 11:25:50 PM

Could be a faulty driver. To test, you can boot in safe mode and try a restart that way. If it still freezes, it's not the drivers. If it does freeze, go into Device Manager and disable all the drivers and then one by one turn each on with each reboot until you find the one that freezes the computer.

Try that and let us know how it goes.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2010 12:09:13 AM

Maybe u under Overclocking condition in old system & than reinstall win7? also can make freeze.
m
l
November 19, 2010 12:43:15 AM

calmstateofmind said:
Could be a faulty driver. To test, you can boot in safe mode and try a restart that way. If it still freezes, it's not the drivers. If it does freeze, go into Device Manager and disable all the drivers and then one by one turn each on with each reboot until you find the one that freezes the computer.

Try that and let us know how it goes.

i restarted it on safe mode and it works just fine.

I went to device manager but i dont know which ones are drivers. There are Computer, DIsk Drives, DIsplay adapters, dvd rom, etc which im sure you know.

Also, do im not sure exactly what youre saying to do. DO i turn it all off at once, then restart it? Then go down the list and turn each one on and continue to reboot? If i do find out which driver, what can i do about it? THanks
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2010 12:50:06 AM

in safe mode uninstall VGA driver, Sound, Chipset, directX ... it can make reboot
install again your Driver from CD bundle if your driver not compatible with win7 download from site your PC
m
l
November 19, 2010 2:18:07 AM

computernewb said:
i restarted it on safe mode and it works just fine.

I went to device manager but i dont know which ones are drivers. There are Computer, DIsk Drives, DIsplay adapters, dvd rom, etc which im sure you know.

Also, do im not sure exactly what youre saying to do. DO i turn it all off at once, then restart it? Then go down the list and turn each one on and continue to reboot? If i do find out which driver, what can i do about it? THanks

Disable the following: Display Adapters, DVD/CD ROM drives, Monitors, Network Adapters, Sound, Video and game controllers, USB controllers.

To disable, simply expand the category, then right click on the driver and choose "Disable". You'll want to disable ALL of those at ONCE, then with each restart enable one driver at a time. Your screen resolution will change to something like 800x600 or 1024x768, which is normal since your video driver is not active at the moment, so don't worry when that happens.

If you do end up finding the bad driver, just jot down the model number for the device and go to the manufacturer's website (or an EXTREMELY reliable driver website) and download the newest driver for the device. Make sure you choose the correct operating system, AS WELL AS the correct bit platform (64 bit or 32 bit, 64 in your case).

If you find that it's your graphics card or a device that probably has software that comes along with it (like Nvidia having an Nvidia Control Panel), you can try to update the driver through the software. It's really simple this way and I'd try this first just out of ease.

If that doesn't work, you can also try previous drivers that are on the site. This is a common fix for video card drivers that are new or just don't seem to work well with whatever setup you have, so don't be weary about not having the newest drivers (though in most cases its good to).

My guess is that it's a driver that came from some program though. Programs that monitor your computer's hardware (such as CPU-Z or HWMonitor) can cause issues such as the one you're going through, so you might also want to try and uninstall any programs that might be related to that first before you go through the somewhat lengthy process of disabling all of your drivers. That is, if you have any programs like to that begin with. Get back to us and let us know!
m
l
!