Good NB cooler for DFI Ultra-D?

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
I noticed today that my northbridge fan is acting funny having trouble starting up and I was wondering if anyone could tell me which of these solutions would be better for me to use. I have a HSF from a Hercules 9800 Pro laying around that is still in great condition and I was thinking about using this as a substitute. Would the Hercules HSF or the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118214" target="_new">Zalman ZM-NF47J</A> be the best choice for my board? I will probably have to move the jumpers onto the SLI position and put my video card into the second PCIe slot, but from what I've heard I won't notice any difference in performance by running 8x. Thanks for any help.

My Rig:
Lian Li V1000 Plus
A64 3000
DFI NF4 Ultra-D
Patriot PC3200LLK 2x512mb
ATI X850XT
Sapphire Theatrix 550 Pro TV Tuner
Seagate 160GB SATA HD
Lite-On SOHW-832S
NEC 3540A
Fortron Source Blue Storm AX500-A

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
If I move the card to the second slot do I still need a low profile HSF or will one of those that I suggested work? Do you think the copper HSF from the Hercules card would cool better than the Zalman?

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
why wouldn't it? there is lots of other people with the same board that have been able to do so just by moving the SLI jumpers to turn the second PCIe 16 slot into an 8 lane slot, so I won't see a decrease in performance.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
thats for teh SLI boards, not DFI, you can only use the second slot if you have a card in teh first slot already

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've never had a driver issue from switching slots, where did you hear that?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Good point, I've never thought of that. But he could magically turn his board into the SLI board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
oh, and i just realized, i wrote DFI instead of ultraD LOL but yeah, later ultra-Ds were made so that its not pencil-modable

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you read my EVGA mobo review? I don't know if DFI made any changes to the mobo, but nVidia's change was to add a blob of epoxy over the bridges. Details can be seen at the bottom of <A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/features/mboard/article.php/12027_3549021_4" target="_new">This Page</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, and a blob of epoxy prevents the SLI mod, are you going to cry me a river or shut up and fix it?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
oooooooooooo, you sure told him!

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You mean the one that causes random system crashes :eek: