Big Typhoon or Hyper 6+ cooler??

ppunk0

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005
Hi, I have been doing alot of research on heatsinks, and I am lost on which heatsink I should get. I have rounded it down to the ThermalTake Big Typhoon and the CoolerMaster Hyper 6+.
I am going to buy the Antec P180 case this week, and figured it would be smart to buy a new heatsink along with the case since I will have to take the computer apart anyway.
I have a ThermalTake Venus 12, which does a decent job, but I have to use the included fan controller while playing games to crank up the rpm's on the Venus 12 and it gets pretty loud. On High, the fan goes so fast it rattles my case.

So on the Antec P180 case, it is divided into 2 chambers. The upper chamber is for the majority of the computer expect the PSU. It has one 120mm fan on the front center and two 120mm fans in the rear, one on the rear wall and one on the top-rear ceiling. The Hyper 6+ looks like a good choice because either way I mount the heatsink, it should be blowing air towards an exhaust fan (on the rear or top). From what I got, the Hyper 6+ has a round CPU area surface, so you can mount the heatsink in any direction instead of the normal square surfaced heatsinks which you are only allowed to install in one direction. I thought this was a good idea because my last heatsink (ThermalTake Sonic Tower) didn't fit on my VNF4-Ultra motherboard properly.

Then there is the Big Typhoon. The fan blows down on the heatsink like traditional ones. One thing I like about this one is that the fan is very quiet. The Hyper 6+ can get pretty noisey I heard.
My main problem with this is that it is very similar to the Sonic Tower design. Since that one didn't fit properly on my board, I am alittle worried about buying this one.
I don't want to spend $50 on this and then sell it on ebay for $25 like I did with the SonicTower.

I was also looking at some other heatsinks, like the Scythe Ninja, SI-120, and the CoolerMaster R120 water cooling kit.
I was really interested in the SI-120, but it is pretty expensive and hard to find.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which heatsink would be best for my situation? I am open to other heatsinks than the ones I listed above.

Here is my computer:

AMD64 3000+ Venice
Chaintech VNF4-Ultra
OCZ 2GB DDR-400 Performace (3-3-3-8)
Maxtor 250GB DiamondMax 10 SATA
ATI Radeon X850XT PE
Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD+/-RW drive
Antec 550W PSU
Antec P180 case (coming soon)

I am not an expert on overclocking, so I don't expect to push my computer far. If any, I will overclock alittle, from 1800mhz to 1900mhz usually, to get a small increase in games. I am afraid of damaging my stuff so I don't risk it.

I hope I included enough details about my situation.
Thanks for any help!

-Steve

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
big typhoon... just sift through xs's air cooling.... its mostly zalmans, xp-120s and big typhoons

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Big Typhoon has a lot of cooling capacity, I'm testing it out for a review as we speak. But it's kind of sloppily made for a high end cooler, and HUGE.

I'll check into getting a Hyper 6+ for comparison.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
it is somewhat poorly made, in terms of the flatness of the bottom and the mount retentions

but it does cool VERY well.

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I noticed that as well. In fact, I've photographed it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ppunk0

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2005
Most people are recommending the Big Typhoon, but I have been interested in the Hyper 6+ since I saw MaximumPC give it a 10, and said it was better than the BT. I didn't understand why the Hyper 6+ got a higher rating though, because the numbers on their chart were pretty much similar with the BT. The only thing at this point holding me back is the noise levels. The BT is supposed to be very quiet at 14dbA, and the Hyper 6+ is variable, and rated at 20dbA to 46dbA.

I have been thinking alot recently of starting up my own small review site (not like THG, I couldn't come close :) ). I thought I might pick up the hyper 6+ instead of the BT and do some testing on it and post a small review. It would be a couple weeks away because I need to start the design/database going if I was serious.

Crashman, do you work for THG or do you have your own review site? I would like to read your review on the BT when it's done.

Thanks for the great feedback!

-Steve

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, the Big Typhoon isn't as quiet as advertised. Oh, but it is quiet, just not to the extent advertised. I'd peg it to the low 20's. And it performs great, but lots of readers will hate it anyway.

I write for SysOpt fairly much as a half-time job. I tried THG, but things didn't work out, a miscommunication with a manufacturer was 90% my fault, and on top of that I listened to some hasty advice from other editors.

You'll see the review at SysOpt within the next two weeks, I really can peg a date yet.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They could use a writer like me. Personality wise, they might be better off with someone like you!