GameFly May Be Acquiring Direct2Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
It's clear that other services have some trouble competing with Steam
and sadly they don't take much effort to try to take consumers by price wars. Even Steam's sales tend to be slightly better than D2D as a example when the sale concerns the same game. So what does this have to do with the possible sale of D2D? Simple what is the typical action done by the buyer after a buyout of a service? Raise prices of course. In this case raises the price beyond the normal is unlikely but this is likely to make any sales, pre-orders, and other forms of marketing to attract customers to be degraded. This is the most likely result from this sale of D2D.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Got to do something as digital download progresses and they won't be able to get a cut out of the growing networks the console manufacturers have.

Just makes you wonder how they are going to deal with the serials and limited installs on many games (ie. Securom etc.)and how they will deal with keeping those that rent the game from continuing to use it and what type of reaction game makers will have to the offering of rentals when they have always done everything they could to keep games from being resold or traded in order to keep retail prices high - so I can see many distributors holding out on providing the games for them to offer.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
The only reason I buy from Steam is because it's so easy to do and the game sets itself up. With D2D, I have to download it, unpack it (mind you, it works better with 7zip instead of WinRAR), install it and then set it up to my liking.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I was wondering how well D2D was doing after the last game i bought from them just redirected me to steam to download. I think its safe to say not very well. Doesn't surprise me it was sold.

Onlive is a joke its not competing with steam or D2D, nor will until everyone around the world has crazy fast fiber internet. Until then its just a crappy overpriced rental/streaming service that produces choppy and laggy service.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Yeah, I'll never use D2D again. I tried it with F.E.A.R. when it came out, but the update process was so borked I could never play online. I ended up just using F.E.A.R. Combat instead even though I actually BOUGHT THE GAME!

Never again. Steam has never given me any problems with any of my purchases.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Proxy711[/nom]I was wondering how well D2D was doing after the last game i bought from them just redirected me to steam to download. I think its safe to say not very well. Doesn't surprise me it was sold.Onlive is a joke its not competing with steam or D2D, nor will until everyone around the world has crazy fast fiber internet. Until then its just a crappy overpriced rental/streaming service that produces choppy and laggy service.[/citation]
Of course, it worked fine with a 3Mb/s connection (Albeit it did have a few pixel problems.) The chance to play it's listed games for 30 mins is a plus, even Steam can't give you that.

Hopefully the incline of interest for PC gaming and digital service will allow games to be cheaper, around 15-25$ less in a year as the norm. It's enough to see in a few months a physical (console) copy still being the same price as new, where-as the digital (PC) version is then half it's original price and stays that way (Dirt 2/BC2/Etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.