Phone Activation

Last response: in Network Providers
July 10, 2005 1:21:38 AM

I have a couple of U.S. Cellular phones that I would like to activate on the
Verizon network. Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing it?

Thanks!

David R. Goyer

More about : phone activation

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 12:10:21 AM

I have a couple of U.S. Cellular phones that I would like to activate on the
Verizon network. Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing it?

Thanks!

David R. Goyer
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:38:14 AM

If you don't already have service, you'll have to commit to a service contract,
basically identical to the ones who receive free phones (except for the receive
the free or reduced price phone part).

TH

David R Goyer wrote:

> I have a couple of U.S. Cellular phones that I would like to activate on the
> Verizon network. Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> David R. Goyer
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 3:41:14 AM

I already have service with Verizon but I was wondering if the U.S. Cellular
phones will work on the Verizon network.

David R. Goyer

"Tropical Haven" <email@example.net> wrote in message
> If you don't already have service, you'll have to commit to a service
> contract,
> basically identical to the ones who receive free phones (except for the
> receive
> the free or reduced price phone part).
>
> TH
>
> David R Goyer wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of U.S. Cellular phones that I would like to activate on
>> the
>> Verizon network. Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> David R. Goyer

July 11, 2005 11:12:13 AM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:10:21 -0500, "David R Goyer"
<davgo@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have a couple of U.S. Cellular phones that I would like to activate on the
> Verizon network. Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing it?

Is that U.S. Cellular as in the company or from the U.S? It will
depend on where you wish to activate it and what network. Some
networks (CDMA and TDMA) will not allow you to register a handset on
their network if the phone wasn't originally on their network or
within the range of ESNs that they have. If it's GSM as long as it's
unlocked it can be used on any GSM network that has compatible
frequencies.
- -
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 11:22:26 AM

"David R Goyer" <davgo@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I already have service with Verizon but I was wondering if the U.S.
>Cellular phones will work on the Verizon network.
>
> David R. Goyer
>

> "Tropical Haven" <email@example.net> wrote in message
>> If you don't already have service, you'll have to commit to a service
>> contract,
>> basically identical to the ones who receive free phones (except for the
>> receive
>> the free or reduced price phone part).
>>
>> TH
>>
>> David R Goyer wrote:
>>
>>> I have a couple of U.S. Cellular phones that I would like to activate on
>>> the
>>> Verizon network. Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> David R. Goyer

You can activate a phone from the account management page on the VZW
website. If you don't have an account there, create one. Then try to switch
service from your existing phone to one of your new ones.

Give it a try-- it will either work or not....then you'll know;-)

If you're computer-challenged/phobic, take it to a VZW company store. You
can ask them if you can switch. They'll charge you $10 to make the switch
for you.

You can also take it to a VZW agent (Radio Shack, Let's Talk Cellular,
e.g.). They could tell you as well-- and the switch fees may vary.

Joe
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:27:04 PM

> I have a couple of U.S. Cellular phones that I would like to activate on the
> Verizon network. Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> David R. Goyer

Another thought to keep in mind:

The phones are CDMA capable, right? U.S. Cellular used to use TDMA, so just
because it's branded doesn't mean it can currently be used.

TH
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:30:11 AM

David R Goyer wrote:
> I already have service with Verizon but I was wondering
> if the U.S. Cellular phones will work on the Verizon
> network.

Technically the phones will work. Any CDMA phone will
work. The phone must be unlocked for the phone to be
programmed. I vaguely have the impression that US
Cellular locks their phones? For VZW Over-The-Air
programming requires that the programming password
be set to 000000. If you know the code you can program
it manually.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:30:12 AM

How do I find the code to program it manually??

David R. Goyer

news:D xBAe.761$_%4.574@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> David R Goyer wrote:
>> I already have service with Verizon but I was wondering
>> if the U.S. Cellular phones will work on the Verizon
>> network.
>
> Technically the phones will work. Any CDMA phone will
> work. The phone must be unlocked for the phone to be
> programmed. I vaguely have the impression that US
> Cellular locks their phones? For VZW Over-The-Air
> programming requires that the programming password
> be set to 000000. If you know the code you can program
> it manually.
>
> -Quick

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:25:41 AM

Good point. These are CDMA.

>> I have a couple of U.S. Cellular phones that I would like to activate on
>> the
>> Verizon network. Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing it?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> David R. Goyer
>
> Another thought to keep in mind:
>
> The phones are CDMA capable, right? U.S. Cellular used to use TDMA, so
> just
> because it's branded doesn't mean it can currently be used.
>
> TH

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 5:46:29 AM

U.S. Cellular has always in the past locked their phones.

news:D xBAe.761$_%4.574@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> David R Goyer wrote:
>> I already have service with Verizon but I was wondering
>> if the U.S. Cellular phones will work on the Verizon
>> network.
>
> Technically the phones will work. Any CDMA phone will
> work. The phone must be unlocked for the phone to be
> programmed. I vaguely have the impression that US
> Cellular locks their phones? For VZW Over-The-Air
> programming requires that the programming password
> be set to 000000. If you know the code you can program
> it manually.
>
> -Quick

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:14:59 AM

> How do I find the code to program it manually??
>
> David R. Goyer
>

> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D xBAe.761$_%4.574@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
>> David R Goyer wrote:
>>> I already have service with Verizon but I was wondering
>>> if the U.S. Cellular phones will work on the Verizon
>>> network.
>>
>> Technically the phones will work. Any CDMA phone will
>> work. The phone must be unlocked for the phone to be
>> programmed. I vaguely have the impression that US
>> Cellular locks their phones? For VZW Over-The-Air
>> programming requires that the programming password
>> be set to 000000. If you know the code you can program
>> it manually.
>>
>> -Quick
>
> How do I find the code to program it manually??

If it is in fact locked you would have to get the code from
US Cellular. Most likely a random 6 digit number that
they have in their records as the lock code corresponding
to the ESN number for that phone.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:15:00 AM