Unwanted program loads at startup

How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
but just not have it load up until I want to use it,

Windows XP Home

Missy Brown
13 answers Last reply
More about unwanted program loads startup

    Open up the Run dialog box, run MSCONFIG, and un-check the program you do not
    want to run. Then save and reboot. If you want to run the program
    subsequently, you can probably find it somewhere in the list of programs you can
    launch normally.

    Altogether too many software packages these days seem to think of themselves as
    the most important in the world (or maybe the marketing types influenced the
    software design), and they insert themselves into the system startup when
    installed. The net result is a lot of potentially unwanted programs being
    launched at system startup, occupying valuable system RAM, and slowing down
    overall system performance. You'd think the turkeys who design this stuff would
    at least give you the option to be run when the system starts up. But,
    Noooooooo! At least Mozilla, Spybot, Filezilla and most of the other freeware
    is designed sensibly! ... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:06:57 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:

    >How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
    >turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
    >but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
    >
    >Windows XP Home
    >
    >Missy Brown

    Tried this and I still have the same thing happening!

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:22:33 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >Open up the Run dialog box, run MSCONFIG, and un-check the program you do not
    >want to run. Then save and reboot. If you want to run the program
    >subsequently, you can probably find it somewhere in the list of programs you can
    >launch normally.
    >
    >Altogether too many software packages these days seem to think of themselves as
    >the most important in the world (or maybe the marketing types influenced the
    >software design), and they insert themselves into the system startup when
    >installed. The net result is a lot of potentially unwanted programs being
    >launched at system startup, occupying valuable system RAM, and slowing down
    >overall system performance. You'd think the turkeys who design this stuff would
    >at least give you the option to be run when the system starts up. But,
    >Noooooooo! At least Mozilla, Spybot, Filezilla and most of the other freeware
    >is designed sensibly! ... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:06:57 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:
    >

    >>How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
    >>turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
    >>but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
    >>
    >>Windows XP Home
    >>
    >>Missy Brown

    What program is it?
    Are you up to date on Windows updates, antivirus and firewall software, and
    have you scanned the system for spyware (www.lavasoftusa.com)?

    "Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Tried this and I still have the same thing happening!
    >

    > On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:22:33 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    > (Ben Myers) wrote:
    >
    > >Open up the Run dialog box, run MSCONFIG, and un-check the program you do
    not
    > >want to run. Then save and reboot. If you want to run the program
    > >subsequently, you can probably find it somewhere in the list of programs
    you can
    > >launch normally.
    > >
    > >Altogether too many software packages these days seem to think of
    themselves as
    > >the most important in the world (or maybe the marketing types influenced
    the
    > >software design), and they insert themselves into the system startup when
    > >installed. The net result is a lot of potentially unwanted programs
    being
    > >launched at system startup, occupying valuable system RAM, and slowing
    down
    > >overall system performance. You'd think the turkeys who design this
    stuff would
    > >at least give you the option to be run when the system starts up. But,
    > >Noooooooo! At least Mozilla, Spybot, Filezilla and most of the other
    freeware
    > >is designed sensibly! ... Ben Myers
    > >
    > >On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:06:57 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >>How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
    > >>turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
    > >>but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
    > >>
    > >>Windows XP Home
    > >>
    > >>Missy Brown

    > Open up the Run dialog box, run MSCONFIG, and un-check the
    program you do not
    > want to run. Then save and reboot. If you want to run the
    program
    > subsequently, you can probably find it somewhere in the list of
    programs you can
    > launch normally.

    Wow, this is new to me. Do I need any of the things in here to
    load automatically? I don't know what most of them are. Here is
    what comes up in my 600 series laptop, running under XP:

    Startup Item:

    Ati2mdxx

    SynTPLpr

    SynTPEnh

    GWMDMpi

    GWHotKey

    directCD

    Navapw32

    IPMon32 SBC Yahoo

    CFD BroadJump

    qttask QuickTime

    dumprep 0 -k system

    WkDetect Microsoft Works

    ypager Yahoo messenger

    I assume the two SynTP items are for the touchpad, why are there
    two? Do I need both?
    Ati2mdxx seems to be for system tray access to ATI video card, but
    the video card does not appear in my system tray.
    From what I see on the internet, CFD seems to be essentially
    spyware from my ISP. Is this true? (Ad-Aware and Spy-bot don't
    pick it up).
    I don't use hotkeys. What is the other gateway thingy: GWMDMpi?
    "dumprep 0 -k", something about memory dumps...?
    Aside from NAV and perhaps one of the SynTP items, do I need any
    of the others to run at startup?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Maria,

    If the program persists in running, then it is most likely spyware, ad-ware,
    malware, worm, or other pain in the butt software that you really do not want
    running. Ever.

    First, download Spybot 1.3 and all of its updates. Run the updated Spybot,
    removing everything that it finds.

    Next, download and run Ad-Aware and all of its updates. Same thing. Run
    Ad-Aware and delete everything it finds.

    Now reboot. If the varmint is still there, post info indicating what it is.
    There are also some one-off virus removal tools which remove a single virus.

    If the varmint is gone, go to the Windows Update site and install every critical
    patch and security fix available.

    Finally, if the varmint is a virus, you need to install and pay for a regular
    subscription for anti-virus software. Norton, McAfee, Trend are three of the
    popular ones... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:29:56 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:

    >Tried this and I still have the same thing happening!
    >

    >On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:22:33 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    >(Ben Myers) wrote:
    >
    >>Open up the Run dialog box, run MSCONFIG, and un-check the program you do not
    >>want to run. Then save and reboot. If you want to run the program
    >>subsequently, you can probably find it somewhere in the list of programs you can
    >>launch normally.
    >>
    >>Altogether too many software packages these days seem to think of themselves as
    >>the most important in the world (or maybe the marketing types influenced the
    >>software design), and they insert themselves into the system startup when
    >>installed. The net result is a lot of potentially unwanted programs being
    >>launched at system startup, occupying valuable system RAM, and slowing down
    >>overall system performance. You'd think the turkeys who design this stuff would
    >>at least give you the option to be run when the system starts up. But,
    >>Noooooooo! At least Mozilla, Spybot, Filezilla and most of the other freeware
    >>is designed sensibly! ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >>On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:06:57 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
    >>>turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
    >>>but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
    >>>
    >>>Windows XP Home
    >>>
    >>>Missy Brown

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Yes, CFD is a sort of spyware. You can remove it.
    Direct CD is Roxio's CD burning software.
    I don't know what in WKDetect is. Why Micro$oft would stick something in
    startup for Works is beyond me. If you do not use Works, you can remove it.

    Otherwise, if you don't know what a program does, leave it. Far better than
    wasting time experimenting.

    MSCONFIG first came available with Windows 98 and Windows ME. It is not there
    in the earlier NT family of Windows, but is available with XP... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:37:50 GMT, "Steve" <crunkNO@SPAMmath.sjsu.edu> wrote:

    >> Open up the Run dialog box, run MSCONFIG, and un-check the
    >program you do not
    >> want to run. Then save and reboot. If you want to run the
    >program
    >> subsequently, you can probably find it somewhere in the list of
    >programs you can
    >> launch normally.
    >
    >Wow, this is new to me. Do I need any of the things in here to
    >load automatically? I don't know what most of them are. Here is
    >what comes up in my 600 series laptop, running under XP:
    >
    >Startup Item:
    >
    >Ati2mdxx
    >
    >SynTPLpr
    >
    >SynTPEnh
    >
    >GWMDMpi
    >
    >GWHotKey
    >
    >directCD
    >
    >Navapw32
    >
    >IPMon32 SBC Yahoo
    >
    >CFD BroadJump
    >
    >qttask QuickTime
    >
    >dumprep 0 -k system
    >
    >WkDetect Microsoft Works
    >
    >ypager Yahoo messenger
    >
    >I assume the two SynTP items are for the touchpad, why are there
    >two? Do I need both?
    >Ati2mdxx seems to be for system tray access to ATI video card, but
    >the video card does not appear in my system tray.
    >From what I see on the internet, CFD seems to be essentially
    >spyware from my ISP. Is this true? (Ad-Aware and Spy-bot don't
    >pick it up).
    >I don't use hotkeys. What is the other gateway thingy: GWMDMpi?
    >"dumprep 0 -k", something about memory dumps...?
    >Aside from NAV and perhaps one of the SynTP items, do I need any
    >of the others to run at startup?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Steve

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Best site to find out what all those programs are and if you need them running:

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I found this neat little piece of software a few months back and highly
    recommend it. Just download and install the Startup Control Panel. It adds
    an applet in the Control Panel called "Startup". From here it is easy to
    disable any program from starting. Works with all Windows operation systems

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    > How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
    > turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
    > but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
    >
    > Windows XP Home
    >
    > Missy Brown
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    This program is especially useful for versions of Windows which do not have
    MSCONFIG: Windows NT 4.0, Windows 95, Windows 2000. It offers more detail than
    MSCONFIG, too... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 03:50:46 GMT, "Steve Murphree" <smurphr1@midsouth.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >I found this neat little piece of software a few months back and highly
    >recommend it. Just download and install the Startup Control Panel. It adds
    >an applet in the Control Panel called "Startup". From here it is easy to
    >disable any program from starting. Works with all Windows operation systems
    >
    >http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    >

    >"Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
    >> turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
    >> but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
    >>
    >> Windows XP Home
    >>
    >> Missy Brown

  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    "Steve Murphree" <smurphr1@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I found this neat little piece of software a few months back and highly
    > recommend it. Just download and install the Startup Control Panel. It
    adds
    > an applet in the Control Panel called "Startup". From here it is easy to
    > disable any program from starting. Works with all Windows operation
    systems

    > http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    >

    > "Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
    > > turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
    > > but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
    > >
    > > Windows XP Home
    > >
    > > Missy Brown
    >
    > Thanks Steve for this!!
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Finallly fixed it. opened program and went into options. It was
    set to load at startup. Just unchecked and now everything is a ok.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Instead of messing around with the msconfig file I have found "PC
    Magazine's" Startup Cop very beneficial.

    "Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message

    > How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
    > turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
    > but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
    >
    > Windows XP Home
    >
    > Missy Brown
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Startup Cop more or less duplicates msconfig and does the job a little bit
    better. Startup Cop and similar programs are the only choice where msconfig is
    not available, namely Win 95, Win NT, Win 2000. BTW, the Win 98 msconfig runs
    OK on a Win 95 system.

    Problem with Startup Cop now is that you have to be a paid subscriber to one of
    the Ziff-Davis magazines or eZines to access the PC Magazine download area. Or
    do you know another place where it can be downloaded? ... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:45:36 -0400, "jimrx4" <jimrx4@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Instead of messing around with the msconfig file I have found "PC
    >Magazine's" Startup Cop very beneficial.
    >

    >"Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> How do I get rid of a program that for some reason loads each time I
    >> turn on the computer or reboot? I dont want to get rid of the program
    >> but just not have it load up until I want to use it,
    >>
    >> Windows XP Home
    >>
    >> Missy Brown

Gateway Computer Windows XP Computers