Problems with Treo 600 (Data / Crashing)

Last response: in Network Providers
July 10, 2005 11:53:06 AM

I just got a Treo 600 in March without the data plan. My first issue
came when I learned that the phone pings the 'net consistently even
though I'm not using the web browser. This resulted in thousands of
minutes being assessed to my account, eating up my legitamate 300 minute
quota. As you might imagine I was billed for these minutes @ .45/ea.

I disputed, and luckily most were during nights/weekends. Anyway, tech
support showed me a workaround for turning the pinging off (by using a
dummy connection setting under Prefs). We'll see if this worked.

In the meantime, I was up in NH on vacation and the phone just froze. I
had to do a hard reset to get it back (erasing all data and other apps)
which worked for about a minute, then the phone died again. Now I have
to do a hard-reset every 5 minutes. Will VZW take this thing back or
allow me to get a lesser value phone (<$199)? All I want is a phone that
works consistently, even if that means doing away with the PDA features
of the phone.

Regards.
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 10:47:54 PM

AJ Brown wrote:
> I just got a Treo 600 in March without the data plan. My
> first issue came when I learned that the phone pings the
> 'net consistently even though I'm not using the web
> browser. This resulted in thousands of minutes being
> assessed to my account, eating up my legitamate 300
> minute quota. As you might imagine I was billed for these
> minutes @ .45/ea.
>
> I disputed, and luckily most were during nights/weekends.
> Anyway, tech support showed me a workaround for turning
> the pinging off (by using a dummy connection setting
> under Prefs). We'll see if this worked.
>
> In the meantime, I was up in NH on vacation and the phone
> just froze. I had to do a hard reset to get it back
> (erasing all data and other apps) which worked for about
> a minute, then the phone died again. Now I have to do a
> hard-reset every 5 minutes. Will VZW take this thing back
> or allow me to get a lesser value phone (<$199)? All I
> want is a phone that works consistently, even if that
> means doing away with the PDA features of the phone.

Did you buy the phone from VZW? If so,

They probably won't simply take it back. They should
replace it no problem. They may swap it for a different
phone.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 8:43:31 PM

> AJ Brown wrote:
>> I just got a Treo 600 in March without the data plan. My
>> first issue came when I learned that the phone pings the
>> 'net consistently even though I'm not using the web
>> browser. This resulted in thousands of minutes being
>> assessed to my account, eating up my legitamate 300
>> minute quota. As you might imagine I was billed for these
>> minutes @ .45/ea.
>>
>> I disputed, and luckily most were during nights/weekends.
>> Anyway, tech support showed me a workaround for turning
>> the pinging off (by using a dummy connection setting
>> under Prefs). We'll see if this worked.
>>
>> In the meantime, I was up in NH on vacation and the phone
>> just froze. I had to do a hard reset to get it back
>> (erasing all data and other apps) which worked for about
>> a minute, then the phone died again. Now I have to do a
>> hard-reset every 5 minutes. Will VZW take this thing back
>> or allow me to get a lesser value phone (<$199)? All I
>> want is a phone that works consistently, even if that
>> means doing away with the PDA features of the phone.
>
> Did you buy the phone from VZW? If so,
>
> They probably won't simply take it back. They should
> replace it no problem. They may swap it for a different
> phone.
>
> -Quick

Well, the manager at my local VZW post took the Treo back and allowed me to
choose another. Turns out that I ended up getting the new one (LG VX6100)
for free. Cool deal. Seems as though tech at the local stores don't have any
training on this device. This is the main reason he did it.
!