Newbie: Router has died twice in the last 2 weeks, why ?

Hi all and TIA,
My D-Link DI-604 router died about 2 weeks ago. It would not
transmit from the WAN properly. I traded it in for a brand new one
(DI-604) two weeks ago, and it worked fine for 2 weeks. I am not running
any servers or anything special. Just surfing the net and using Real
Player 10 to listen to AAR.
This morning the router would not work again, same problem. I
reset the cable modem and the router a few times. The router WAN light
would come on for about 30 seconds and blink (as it should), and then
the light would go back out. All cables were fastened correctly. The
cable modem was functioning perfectly (I also had to trade that in about
a week ago to my ISP). I know the cable modem is working perfectly
because right now I am "naked" and only running Zone Alarm 5.0 free
edition and I am getting web pages just fine. Oh yeah, the firmware on
the router has also been upgraded to the latest version.
Question: Am I a) just having bad luck, b) experiencing a
common defect with DI-604 routers, or c) experiencing something more
nefarious ? I came here instead of accessing D-Link because I don't want
their propoganda. I am a newbie, so I have no clue. TIA.
Steve

(remove the obvious to reply to my email)
6 answers Last reply
More about newbie router died weeks

    "Steve H." <steve2470@funfunfunyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all and TIA,
    > My D-Link DI-604 router died about 2 weeks ago. It would not
    > transmit from the WAN properly. I traded it in for a brand new one
    > (DI-604) two weeks ago, and it worked fine for 2 weeks. I am not running
    > any servers or anything special. Just surfing the net and using Real
    > Player 10 to listen to AAR.
    > This morning the router would not work again, same problem. I
    > reset the cable modem and the router a few times. The router WAN light
    > would come on for about 30 seconds and blink (as it should), and then
    > the light would go back out. All cables were fastened correctly. The
    > cable modem was functioning perfectly (I also had to trade that in about
    > a week ago to my ISP). I know the cable modem is working perfectly
    > because right now I am "naked" and only running Zone Alarm 5.0 free
    > edition and I am getting web pages just fine. Oh yeah, the firmware on
    > the router has also been upgraded to the latest version.
    > Question: Am I a) just having bad luck, b) experiencing a
    > common defect with DI-604 routers, or c) experiencing something more
    > nefarious ? I came here instead of accessing D-Link because I don't want
    > their propoganda. I am a newbie, so I have no clue. TIA.
    > Steve
    >
    > (remove the obvious to reply to my email)

    The D-Link DI-604 router is a wickedly cheap POS, although many serve well.
    Keep returning them until you get a good one.

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:07:56 +0000, Steve H. wrote:
    > Question: Am I a) just having bad luck, b) experiencing a
    > common defect with DI-604 routers, or c) experiencing something more
    > nefarious ? I came here instead of accessing D-Link because I don't want
    > their propoganda. I am a newbie, so I have no clue. TIA.

    Sounds a lot like an AC problem. Are you sure that the router is connected
    to a clean power source? No surges, brownouts, etc?

    Steve H. wrote:

    > Hi all and TIA,
    > My D-Link DI-604 router died about 2 weeks ago. It would not
    > transmit from the WAN properly. I traded it in for a brand new one
    > (DI-604) two weeks ago, and it worked fine for 2 weeks. I am not running
    > any servers or anything special. Just surfing the net and using Real
    > Player 10 to listen to AAR.
    > This morning the router would not work again, same problem. I
    > reset the cable modem and the router a few times. The router WAN light
    > would come on for about 30 seconds and blink (as it should), and then
    > the light would go back out. All cables were fastened correctly. The
    > cable modem was functioning perfectly (I also had to trade that in about
    > a week ago to my ISP). I know the cable modem is working perfectly
    > because right now I am "naked" and only running Zone Alarm 5.0 free
    > edition and I am getting web pages just fine. Oh yeah, the firmware on
    > the router has also been upgraded to the latest version.
    > Question: Am I a) just having bad luck, b) experiencing a
    > common defect with DI-604 routers, or c) experiencing something more
    > nefarious ? I came here instead of accessing D-Link because I don't want
    > their propoganda. I am a newbie, so I have no clue. TIA.
    > Steve
    >
    > (remove the obvious to reply to my email)

    Traded in the router, works fine, also got an APC Battery Backup 500 va

    (with surge/spike suppressor). Hopefully things should be hunky dorey.

    steve h. said in news:t9IFc.19346$IX4.1665078@twister.tampabay.rr.com:
    > Steve H. wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all and TIA,
    >> My D-Link DI-604 router died about 2 weeks ago. It would not
    >> transmit from the WAN properly. I traded it in for a brand new one
    >> (DI-604) two weeks ago, and it worked fine for 2 weeks. I am not
    >> running any servers or anything special. Just surfing the net and
    >> using Real Player 10 to listen to AAR.
    >> This morning the router would not work again, same problem. I
    >> reset the cable modem and the router a few times. The router WAN
    >> light would come on for about 30 seconds and blink (as it should),
    >> and then the light would go back out. All cables were fastened
    >> correctly. The cable modem was functioning perfectly (I also had to
    >> trade that in about a week ago to my ISP). I know the cable modem is
    >> working perfectly because right now I am "naked" and only running
    >> Zone Alarm 5.0 free edition and I am getting web pages just fine. Oh
    >> yeah, the firmware on the router has also been upgraded to the
    >> latest version. Question: Am I a) just having bad luck, b)
    >> experiencing a
    >> common defect with DI-604 routers, or c) experiencing something more
    >> nefarious ? I came here instead of accessing D-Link because I don't
    >> want their propoganda. I am a newbie, so I have no clue. TIA.
    >> Steve
    >>
    >> (remove the obvious to reply to my email)
    >

    > Traded in the router, works fine, also got an APC Battery Backup 500
    > va
    >
    > (with surge/spike suppressor). Hopefully things should be hunky dorey.

    Also remember that the router generates heat and has no fan to blow it
    away. The heats leaves via convection, so don't pile anything atop it.
    I've see users not realize the heat problem and stack the routers atop
    each other and wonder why they fail too soon.

    *** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    Steve H. wrote:

    >Hi all and TIA,
    > My D-Link DI-604 router died about 2 weeks ago. It would not
    >transmit from the WAN properly. I traded it in for a brand new one
    >(DI-604) two weeks ago, and it worked fine for 2 weeks. I am not running
    >any servers or anything special. Just surfing the net and using Real
    >Player 10 to listen to AAR.
    > This morning the router would not work again, same problem. I
    >reset the cable modem and the router a few times. The router WAN light
    >would come on for about 30 seconds and blink (as it should), and then
    >the light would go back out. All cables were fastened correctly. The
    >cable modem was functioning perfectly (I also had to trade that in about
    >a week ago to my ISP). I know the cable modem is working perfectly
    >because right now I am "naked" and only running Zone Alarm 5.0 free
    >edition and I am getting web pages just fine. Oh yeah, the firmware on
    >the router has also been upgraded to the latest version.
    > Question: Am I a) just having bad luck, b) experiencing a
    >common defect with DI-604 routers, or c) experiencing something more
    >nefarious ? I came here instead of accessing D-Link because I don't want
    >their propoganda. I am a newbie, so I have no clue. TIA.
    >Steve
    >
    >(remove the obvious to reply to my email)

    I bought my D-Link 604 Router about a year ago and it has been working
    perfectly since the day I installed it in the system. The secret may be
    in how it was installed, it hangs from a side wooden cabinet with lots
    of free airflow. There is no way anyone can stack anything on top to
    block the air vents. Power us supplied from a power conditioner and
    surge protector.

    Michael

    "Steve H." <steve2470@funfunfunyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all and TIA,
    > My D-Link DI-604 router died about 2 weeks ago. It would not
    > transmit from the WAN properly. I traded it in for a brand new one
    > (DI-604) two weeks ago, and it worked fine for 2 weeks. I am not running
    > any servers or anything special. Just surfing the net and using Real
    > Player 10 to listen to AAR.
    > This morning the router would not work again, same problem. I
    > reset the cable modem and the router a few times. The router WAN light
    > would come on for about 30 seconds and blink (as it should), and then
    > the light would go back out. All cables were fastened correctly. The
    > cable modem was functioning perfectly (I also had to trade that in about
    > a week ago to my ISP). I know the cable modem is working perfectly
    > because right now I am "naked" and only running Zone Alarm 5.0 free
    > edition and I am getting web pages just fine. Oh yeah, the firmware on
    > the router has also been upgraded to the latest version.
    > Question: Am I a) just having bad luck, b) experiencing a
    > common defect with DI-604 routers, or c) experiencing something more
    > nefarious ? I came here instead of accessing D-Link because I don't want
    > their propoganda. I am a newbie, so I have no clue. TIA.
    > Steve
    >
    > (remove the obvious to reply to my email)

    hm i've got one of them., had it a week. I'll let you know how it goes!

    I've given up on VPN pass through though - see previous post - and I'm using
    it as a switch with intenet connection sharing. hardly ideal, but it
    works...

Firewalls Routers Internet Service Providers Networking