Sign in with
Your question

Problem Signature: NoOsInstalled

Last response: in Windows 7
November 9, 2010 11:59:02 PM

Hello,

I am having issues fixing my sister's laptop. It was purchased a couple months ago, and recently after installing updates, it would not boot into Windows. It gave an error about her ethernet card. After doing some research I concluded that the BIOS was going through its boot priorities and returned that error on its final option, meaning it could not boot off of the hard drive.

I tried a bunch of stuff to fix it, nothing worked. Eventually I just did a clean install of Windows. It was fine for about a week, but then it started happening again. No updates were installed this time around. A repair CD fixes it for a couple days, then it happens again. Here's the last message the repair disc gave. I'm not sure if it's the same as the previous times, but I imagine it is.

Problem Signature:
Problem event name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: -1
Problem Signature 05: ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 06: 1
Problem Signature 07: NoOsInstalled

Frankly I am out of ideas. I can't fathom why it would continue happening after a clean install. It is currently working, but it will just fail to boot again in a day or two. I'd rather not make her run the repair CD weekly, so any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
a b $ Windows 7
November 10, 2010 12:40:29 AM

A 2 month old laptop with booting issues should be returned for repair under warranty.
m
l
November 10, 2010 12:58:33 AM

That's the plan, but she wanted me to take a look at it before she lost a couple weeks waiting for a repair.

Any ideas?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 10, 2010 6:40:23 AM

Take it back asap. Tinkering with it yourself will just give them an excuse to void your warranty.
m
l
!