Guidance needed -- New business network.

Okay. Recently my company purchased 25 new Dell computers, 20 desktops
(Dell Precision 650n, Xeon 3.0Ghz, etc, etc.) and 5 notebooks (Latitude
X300, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, etc, etc.). I want to set up a wired network
and was wondering what networking hardware you would recommend for this
type of setup, and what type of firewall hardware to get for this kind
of setup. Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about guidance needed business network

    In article <cc9goe$bom@odak26.prod.google.com>, randyjohnston@gmail.com
    says...
    > Okay. Recently my company purchased 25 new Dell computers, 20 desktops
    > (Dell Precision 650n, Xeon 3.0Ghz, etc, etc.) and 5 notebooks (Latitude
    > X300, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, etc, etc.). I want to set up a wired network
    > and was wondering what networking hardware you would recommend for this
    > type of setup, and what type of firewall hardware to get for this kind
    > of setup. Thanks.

    This is what network consultants and security professionals do for a
    living. Instead of building something that just works, hire a
    professional for a couple days work to design, setup, configure, and
    train you on the simple maintenance items that need to be done.

    Since you didn't mention a server, or firewall, I'm going to assume that
    you need some help - a 25 node peer-to-peer network would be a pain
    without a domain controller.

    Don't forget the antivirus application on EVERY PC and also the firewall
    for your internet connection.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Randy Johnston wrote:

    > Okay. Recently my company purchased 25 new Dell computers, 20 desktops
    > (Dell Precision 650n, Xeon 3.0Ghz, etc, etc.) and 5 notebooks (Latitude
    > X300, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, etc, etc.). I want to set up a wired network
    > and was wondering what networking hardware you would recommend for this
    > type of setup,

    Nobody can tell unless he knows the requirements. Standard will probably be
    100 mbit/s ethernet switches (maybe gigabit for the server(s)) and
    appropriate cables and sockets. Maybe VLan's might necessary, who knows?

    > and what type of firewall hardware to get for this kind
    > of setup.

    Nobody will be able to tell unless one knows the requirements. Standrad will
    be a solution that provides packet filtering an applications level gateways
    for several protocols.

    Seriously: Hire a skilled security consultant (make clear that this person
    is vendow independant!), design a security policy together with him, and
    choose the device that are going to be used to enforce this policy
    according to the policy.

    Wolfgang
    --
    A foreign body and a foreign mind
    never welcome in the land of the blind.

    "Randy Johnston" <randyjohnston@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Okay. Recently my company purchased 25 new Dell computers, 20 desktops
    > (Dell Precision 650n, Xeon 3.0Ghz, etc, etc.) and 5 notebooks (Latitude
    > X300, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, etc, etc.). I want to set up a wired network
    > and was wondering what networking hardware you would recommend for this
    > type of setup, and what type of firewall hardware to get for this kind
    > of setup. Thanks.

    Well firstly for that size of network you need a server. Trying to do
    without will have you tearing your hair out. And I don't mean one of the
    larger machines acting as a central store. You need a properly specced
    machine running a server operating system such as Windows 2003 or Linux and
    acting as a domain controller. It needs raid and tape backup.

    Minimum you want structured CAT5 cabling installed with switches NOT hubs

    Firewall sort of depends on your connectivity but take a look at a
    Watchguard firebox and don't forget that those laptops will probably want a
    VPN connection.

    Don't forget anti-virus and anti-spam systems.

    To be honest, the PC specs are of little or no interest. What you want to do
    with the network is more important. Call in an expert.

    On a personal note, I hate this type of job. "We bought a whole load of
    gear, now make it work properly and if it doesn't we'll blame you" Doh!

    "Mike" <mike@notherematey.com> wrote in message news:cc9p5a$lnr$1@thorium.cix.co.uk...

    > "Randy Johnston" <randyjohnston@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Okay. Recently my company purchased 25 new Dell computers, 20 desktops
    > > (Dell Precision 650n, Xeon 3.0Ghz, etc, etc.) and 5 notebooks (Latitude
    > > X300, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, etc, etc.). I want to set up a wired network
    > > and was wondering what networking hardware you would recommend for this
    > > type of setup, and what type of firewall hardware to get for this kind
    > > of setup. Thanks.
    > >

    > Well firstly for that size of network you need a server. Trying to do
    > without will have you tearing your hair out. And I don't mean one of the
    > larger machines acting as a central store. You need a properly specced
    > machine running a server operating system such as Windows 2003 or Linux and
    > acting as a domain controller. It needs raid and tape backup.
    >
    > Minimum you want structured CAT5 cabling installed with switches NOT hubs
    >
    > Firewall sort of depends on your connectivity but take a look at a
    > Watchguard firebox and don't forget that those laptops will probably want a
    > VPN connection.
    >
    > Don't forget anti-virus and anti-spam systems.
    >
    > To be honest, the PC specs are of little or no interest. What you want to do
    > with the network is more important. Call in an expert.
    >
    > On a personal note, I hate this type of job. "We bought a whole load of
    > gear, now make it work properly and if it doesn't we'll blame you" Doh!

    Randy,

    I'm going to have to agree with Mike's remarks--you really need a client-server network versus
    peer-to-peer. Once you've got more than a dozen computers networked, implementing a client-server
    network becomes a more suitable solution--just recognize its going to be a project.

    I would also confirm Mike's recommendation for raid and tape backup--don't want to loose all your
    data after all the hard work of installing the network. As a consultant, I see Veritas Backup Exec
    used regularly. However, there are other backup solutions.

    CAT5 cabling--that's suitable for a 10Mbps or 100Mbps Ethernet network--should be okay; however, you
    should know what services your system users want to utilize, such as:

    SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)
    FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
    HTTP (Web Server)
    Etc....

    Regarding a firewall, I too would recommend WatchGuard's Firebox. The web site (www.watchguard.com)
    has a great Flash presentation (you'll need to register, but its a good show.)

    Regarding hubs or switches--go with switches, but try to acquire switches that support VLAN
    technology (Virtual LANs)--look at Cisco's hardware.

    For anti-virus protection on the network, I would strongly recommend Symantec AntiVirus Corporate
    Edition--just be forewarned, its costly. However, there will be less administrative costs in
    providing support in this area.

    Finally, be sure to get a firm grasp on your project using some type of development methodology,
    such as the SDLC (System Development Life Cycle). If this is too much to swallow, I would agree with
    Mike's remarks once again...call in an expert.

    --
    Best regards,

    Todd Shillam
    Information Technology Consultant
    Shillam Technology
    http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com

    "Randy Johnston" <randyjohnston@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Okay. Recently my company purchased 25 new Dell computers, 20 desktops
    > (Dell Precision 650n, Xeon 3.0Ghz, etc, etc.) and 5 notebooks (Latitude
    > X300, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, etc, etc.). I want to set up a wired network
    > and was wondering what networking hardware you would recommend for this
    > type of setup, and what type of firewall hardware to get for this kind
    > of setup. Thanks.

    Hire an IT services consultant. I guess you plan on also running your own
    plumbing and electrical wiring.

Firewalls Networking