Guidance needed -- New business network.

Last response: in Networking
July 4, 2004 3:02:54 PM

Okay. Recently my company purchased 25 new Dell computers, 20 desktops
(Dell Precision 650n, Xeon 3.0Ghz, etc, etc.) and 5 notebooks (Latitude
X300, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, etc, etc.). I want to set up a wired network
and was wondering what networking hardware you would recommend for this
type of setup, and what type of firewall hardware to get for this kind
of setup. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 10:59:51 PM

In article <cc9goe$bom@odak26.prod.google.com>, randyjohnston@gmail.com
says...
> Okay. Recently my company purchased 25 new Dell computers, 20 desktops
> (Dell Precision 650n, Xeon 3.0Ghz, etc, etc.) and 5 notebooks (Latitude
> X300, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, etc, etc.). I want to set up a wired network
> and was wondering what networking hardware you would recommend for this
> type of setup, and what type of firewall hardware to get for this kind
> of setup. Thanks.

This is what network consultants and security professionals do for a
living. Instead of building something that just works, hire a
professional for a couple days work to design, setup, configure, and
train you on the simple maintenance items that need to be done.

Since you didn't mention a server, or firewall, I'm going to assume that
you need some help - a 25 node peer-to-peer network would be a pain
without a domain controller.

Don't forget the antivirus application on EVERY PC and also the firewall
for your internet connection.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 12:25:31 AM

Randy Johnston wrote:

> Okay. Recently my company purchased 25 new Dell computers, 20 desktops
> (Dell Precision 650n, Xeon 3.0Ghz, etc, etc.) and 5 notebooks (Latitude
> X300, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, etc, etc.). I want to set up a wired network
> and was wondering what networking hardware you would recommend for this
> type of setup,

Nobody can tell unless he knows the requirements. Standard will probably be
100 mbit/s ethernet switches (maybe gigabit for the server(s)) and
appropriate cables and sockets. Maybe VLan's might necessary, who knows?

> and what type of firewall hardware to get for this kind
> of setup.

Nobody will be able to tell unless one knows the requirements. Standrad will
be a solution that provides packet filtering an applications level gateways
for several protocols.

Seriously: Hire a skilled security consultant (make clear that this person
is vendow independant!), design a security policy together with him, and
choose the device that are going to be used to enforce this policy
according to the policy.

Wolfgang
--
A foreign body and a foreign mind
never welcome in the land of the blind.

"Randy Johnston" <randyjohnston@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay. Recently my company purchased 25 new Dell computers, 20 desktops
> (Dell Precision 650n, Xeon 3.0Ghz, etc, etc.) and 5 notebooks (Latitude
> X300, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, etc, etc.). I want to set up a wired network
> and was wondering what networking hardware you would recommend for this
> type of setup, and what type of firewall hardware to get for this kind
> of setup. Thanks.

Well firstly for that size of network you need a server. Trying to do
without will have you tearing your hair out. And I don't mean one of the
larger machines acting as a central store. You need a properly specced
machine running a server operating system such as Windows 2003 or Linux and
acting as a domain controller. It needs raid and tape backup.

Minimum you want structured CAT5 cabling installed with switches NOT hubs

Firewall sort of depends on your connectivity but take a look at a
Watchguard firebox and don't forget that those laptops will probably want a
VPN connection.

Don't forget anti-virus and anti-spam systems.

To be honest, the PC specs are of little or no interest. What you want to do
with the network is more important. Call in an expert.

On a personal note, I hate this type of job. "We bought a whole load of
gear, now make it work properly and if it doesn't we'll blame you" Doh!
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 1:28:01 AM

"Mike" <mike@notherematey.com> wrote in message news:cc9p5a$lnr$1@thorium.cix.co.uk...

> "Randy Johnston" <randyjohnston@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Okay. Recently my company purchased 25 new Dell computers, 20 desktops
> > (Dell Precision 650n, Xeon 3.0Ghz, etc, etc.) and 5 notebooks (Latitude
> > X300, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, etc, etc.). I want to set up a wired network
> > and was wondering what networking hardware you would recommend for this
> > type of setup, and what type of firewall hardware to get for this kind
> > of setup. Thanks.
> >

> Well firstly for that size of network you need a server. Trying to do
> without will have you tearing your hair out. And I don't mean one of the
> larger machines acting as a central store. You need a properly specced
> machine running a server operating system such as Windows 2003 or Linux and
> acting as a domain controller. It needs raid and tape backup.
>
> Minimum you want structured CAT5 cabling installed with switches NOT hubs
>
> Firewall sort of depends on your connectivity but take a look at a
> Watchguard firebox and don't forget that those laptops will probably want a
> VPN connection.
>
> Don't forget anti-virus and anti-spam systems.
>
> To be honest, the PC specs are of little or no interest. What you want to do
> with the network is more important. Call in an expert.
>
> On a personal note, I hate this type of job. "We bought a whole load of
> gear, now make it work properly and if it doesn't we'll blame you" Doh!

Randy,

I'm going to have to agree with Mike's remarks--you really need a client-server network versus
peer-to-peer. Once you've got more than a dozen computers networked, implementing a client-server
network becomes a more suitable solution--just recognize its going to be a project.

I would also confirm Mike's recommendation for raid and tape backup--don't want to loose all your
data after all the hard work of installing the network. As a consultant, I see Veritas Backup Exec
used regularly. However, there are other backup solutions.

CAT5 cabling--that's suitable for a 10Mbps or 100Mbps Ethernet network--should be okay; however, you
should know what services your system users want to utilize, such as:

SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)
FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
HTTP (Web Server)
Etc....

Regarding a firewall, I too would recommend WatchGuard's Firebox. The web site (www.watchguard.com)
has a great Flash presentation (you'll need to register, but its a good show.)

Regarding hubs or switches--go with switches, but try to acquire switches that support VLAN
technology (Virtual LANs)--look at Cisco's hardware.

For anti-virus protection on the network, I would strongly recommend Symantec AntiVirus Corporate
Edition--just be forewarned, its costly. However, there will be less administrative costs in
providing support in this area.

Finally, be sure to get a firm grasp on your project using some type of development methodology,
such as the SDLC (System Development Life Cycle). If this is too much to swallow, I would agree with
Mike's remarks once again...call in an expert.

--
Best regards,

Todd Shillam
Information Technology Consultant
Shillam Technology
http://shillamtechnology.point2this.com
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 12:29:03 AM

"Randy Johnston" <randyjohnston@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay. Recently my company purchased 25 new Dell computers, 20 desktops
> (Dell Precision 650n, Xeon 3.0Ghz, etc, etc.) and 5 notebooks (Latitude
> X300, Pentium M 1.5Ghz, etc, etc.). I want to set up a wired network
> and was wondering what networking hardware you would recommend for this
> type of setup, and what type of firewall hardware to get for this kind
> of setup. Thanks.

Hire an IT services consultant. I guess you plan on also running your own
plumbing and electrical wiring.
!