Onboard Network Adapter

Hoping someone can help me out here...

The onboard network adapter in my 700XL won't work properly. (The one
located near the two USB ports on the back). When I connect it to my
router (or directly to my computer even) I get the "Network cable
unplugged" pop-up. This cycles back and forth with the "Connected
at..." message every two seconds or so. I've tried all the
combinations I can think of, including going directly from the wall
jack to the PC nad everything in between, seemingly eliminating bad
cables, etc. If it's connected to my router (Netgear WGT624 v2, the
link light for that port flashes on and off). After installing an old
Netgear card, everything works fine, but that required me to remove a
6 port USB card I need to run other devices.

Any ideas out there? Could my onboard port just be hosed, and, if so,
is there anyway to repair/replace it?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Some suggestions:

Update the software driver, if an update is available. This could be a software
malfunciton.
Check and maybe change the adapter's driver settings.
Try another Cat 5 cable. Could be a flaky cable.
Run manufacturer's diagnostics, if available.
Replace the motherboard, especially if still under Gateway warranty.

.... Ben Myers