USB 2.0 on Intel 865PERL mobo

Trying to install the USB 2.0 drivers (from the motherboard's CD)
results in failure. Experiments using a USB 2.0 flash-drive prove I'm
not getting 2.0 speeds. BIOS settings to enable high-speed USB look
to be correct.

Any ideas?
12 answers Last reply
More about intel 865perl mobo
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    What OS? If you're running XP SP1 I don't believe you need to install the
    drivers.
    "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

    > Trying to install the USB 2.0 drivers (from the motherboard's CD)
    > results in failure. Experiments using a USB 2.0 flash-drive prove I'm
    > not getting 2.0 speeds. BIOS settings to enable high-speed USB look
    > to be correct.
    >
    > Any ideas?

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    "Adam Steiner" <adam@NOstudent-SPAMcomputers.THANKScom> wrote:

    >What OS? If you're running XP SP1 I don't believe you need to install the
    >drivers.

    Win2k.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    >Trying to install the USB 2.0 drivers (from the motherboard's CD)
    >results in failure. Experiments using a USB 2.0 flash-drive prove I'm
    >not getting 2.0 speeds. BIOS settings to enable high-speed USB look
    >to be correct.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    Win2k didn't have built-in support for USB 2.0 until SP4. Either
    obtain SP4 or download Intel's motherboard drivers.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:19:36 -0500, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Trying to install the USB 2.0 drivers (from the motherboard's CD)
    >results in failure. Experiments using a USB 2.0 flash-drive prove I'm
    >not getting 2.0 speeds. BIOS settings to enable high-speed USB look
    >to be correct.

    What kind of speeds are you getting? Maybe you can test on somebody
    else's USB 2.0 system to confirm it? Some sneaky manufacturers claim
    their devices are USB 2.0 simply by virtue of having an interface
    that's capable of it... but the medium itself isn't fast enough to
    give you anything like USB 2.0 speeds.

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    To check that, one has to set the device manager to "Show devices by
    connection" mode.

    "The little lost angel" <a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com> wrote in
    message news:4085fde6.126087828@news.pacific.net.sg...
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:19:36 -0500, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Trying to install the USB 2.0 drivers (from the motherboard's CD)
    > >results in failure. Experiments using a USB 2.0 flash-drive prove I'm
    > >not getting 2.0 speeds. BIOS settings to enable high-speed USB look
    > >to be correct.
    >
    > What kind of speeds are you getting? Maybe you can test on somebody
    > else's USB 2.0 system to confirm it? Some sneaky manufacturers claim
    > their devices are USB 2.0 simply by virtue of having an interface
    > that's capable of it... but the medium itself isn't fast enough to
    > give you anything like USB 2.0 speeds.
    >
    > --
    > L.Angel: I'm looking for web design work.
    > If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
    :)
    > Standard HTML, SHTML, MySQL + PHP or ASP, Javascript.
    > If you really want, FrontPage & DreamWeaver too.
    > But keep in mind you pay extra bandwidth for their bloated code
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:10:23 GMT, "Alexander Grigoriev"
    <alegr@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >To check that, one has to set the device manager to "Show devices by
    >connection" mode.

    Oh... actually I was thinking more of putting a 100MB file on the
    flash drive and see how long it takes for the transfer to go through.
    If the throughput is only 1Mbps, then it doesn't really matter what
    the software or labels say. :PPpP

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com (The little lost angel) wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:10:23 GMT, "Alexander Grigoriev"
    ><alegr@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >>To check that, one has to set the device manager to "Show devices by
    >>connection" mode.
    >
    >Oh... actually I was thinking more of putting a 100MB file on the
    >flash drive and see how long it takes for the transfer to go through.
    >If the throughput is only 1Mbps, then it doesn't really matter what
    >the software or labels say. :PPpP

    Yeah, that's what I did to test my data transfer speed. Way too slow
    for USB 2.0 (a couple minutes to transfer 100MB).
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    lyon_wonder <lyon_wonder@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >>Trying to install the USB 2.0 drivers (from the motherboard's CD)
    >>results in failure. Experiments using a USB 2.0 flash-drive prove I'm
    >>not getting 2.0 speeds. BIOS settings to enable high-speed USB look
    >>to be correct.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >
    >Win2k didn't have built-in support for USB 2.0 until SP4. Either
    >obtain SP4 or download Intel's motherboard drivers.

    Intel's driver is on the mobo's CD. They fail install.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:51:42 GMT, a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com
    (The little lost angel) wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:10:23 GMT, "Alexander Grigoriev"
    ><alegr@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >>To check that, one has to set the device manager to "Show devices by
    >>connection" mode.
    >
    >Oh... actually I was thinking more of putting a 100MB file on the
    >flash drive and see how long it takes for the transfer to go through.
    >If the throughput is only 1Mbps, then it doesn't really matter what
    >the software or labels say. :PPpP

    It varies a lot by the flash USB drive mfr. On a Sandisk Cruzer Mini (USB
    2.0) I've seen write speeds which are not that much faster than USB 1.1:
    ~1.1MB/s; the read speed is much faster: 11MB/s. Sandisk now has their
    Titanium USB flash drives which are said to write as fast as 13MB/s. If
    you look at their (and other mfr's) info on the early USB 2.0 flash drives,
    the specs kinda mumble about actual speeds, especially write speeds.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    I have a D865PERL running Win2K Pro and the CD wouldn't load the software or
    drivers from the CD autorun. What I did was close the autorun window that
    starts after CD insertion and brought up device manger, selected USB and
    added drivers using "Update Driver". Click the "Specify a location" dialog
    and browse the CD to the USB drivers. Intel Express Installer doesn't work,
    so you can also load the additional sofware by browsing the disk with
    Windows Explorer.

    Baad Boy

    "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

    > Trying to install the USB 2.0 drivers (from the motherboard's CD)
    > results in failure. Experiments using a USB 2.0 flash-drive prove I'm
    > not getting 2.0 speeds. BIOS settings to enable high-speed USB look
    > to be correct.
    >
    > Any ideas?

  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:40:57 -0500, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Yeah, that's what I did to test my data transfer speed. Way too slow
    >for USB 2.0 (a couple minutes to transfer 100MB).

    Have you tried the same on a system known to have a working full speed
    USB 2.0 connection? The problem as I mentioned before, some
    manufacturers are putting USB 2.0 interfaces on media that won't meet
    that kind of speeds. There was some review done some time back by some
    photography website and showed significant disparity between what
    different brands of cards can achieve.

  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com (The little lost angel) wrote:

    >On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 07:40:57 -0500, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah, that's what I did to test my data transfer speed. Way too slow
    >>for USB 2.0 (a couple minutes to transfer 100MB).
    >
    >Have you tried the same on a system known to have a working full speed
    >USB 2.0 connection? The problem as I mentioned before, some
    >manufacturers are putting USB 2.0 interfaces on media that won't meet
    >that kind of speeds. There was some review done some time back by some
    >photography website and showed significant disparity between what
    >different brands of cards can achieve.

    I don't have any known-good USB 2.0 machines. 8( I am checking on
    data read from the flash, which would be faster than writing it...

    I tend to think it's "my fault" since the driver install fails. It's
    quite odd that the Intel driver won't install on in Intel board. And
    the error message ("failed") is worthless.

CPUs USB Intel