Athlon 64 system

newbee

Hi all,

I'am looking out 4 an Athlon 64 based system, the 64 bit being in the dir.
of the future but the Socket 754/939 issue has me confused,
Is there any upgrade path in 754 at all
Is it worth waiting for 939(performance wise) and till when
Is it better to go in for an Opteron now,

any help/tips are most welcome.

BTW, any sites where I can find details about different Athlon64 rigs with
diff. MOBO, RAM etc

TIA

Ed

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1947

"newbee" <vinayvbh_aj@hotmale.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'am looking out 4 an Athlon 64 based system, the 64 bit being in the dir.
> of the future but the Socket 754/939 issue has me confused,
> Is there any upgrade path in 754 at all
> Is it worth waiting for 939(performance wise) and till when
> Is it better to go in for an Opteron now,
>
> any help/tips are most welcome.

I just had this discussion with my brother-in-law. I suggested that he wait
for the Socket 939 rather than going for a current Socket 754. I look upon
the Socket 754 as something like the original Pentium-4 Willamette Socket
423, the one that got replaced within months by the Northwood Socket 478 --
i.e a dead-end sub-architecture.

Yousuf Khan

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

newbee wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'am looking out 4 an Athlon 64 based system, the 64 bit being in the dir.
> of the future but the Socket 754/939 issue has me confused,
> Is there any upgrade path in 754 at all
> Is it worth waiting for 939(performance wise) and till when
> Is it better to go in for an Opteron now,
>
> any help/tips are most welcome.
>
> BTW, any sites where I can find details about different Athlon64 rigs with
> diff. MOBO, RAM etc
>
> TIA

overclockers.com

While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', "Yousuf Khan"
<news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> scribbled:

>I just had this discussion with my brother-in-law. I suggested that he wait
>for the Socket 939 rather than going for a current Socket 754.

Smart move. NVidia has already made substantial changes to their
socket 754/939 chipset, but it won't be in MBs for a few months yet.

To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity....