Help me ID this ATI graphics card

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have this old graphics card which I am trying to identify. It is
labelled Sept 1999.

The circuit board has a logo on the circuit side which says
"graphics by ATI Rage 128"

On the components side of the circuit board it says ""C in a
circle"" (copyright) 1999 ATI Technologies Inc.

(1) Does this mean the board is actually made by ATI or is it
probbaly made by someone else using an ATI Rage chip? (I didn't
think grahhics chip companies like ATI made complete graphics
boards.)

(2) Also on the circuit board it says "N625". What does this
mean?

(3) Another paper label (with a barcode) says R128 GL 32M" but I
can't find that on the Web.

(4) One of the chips has a paper label saying "R128 66501"

Can someone tell me what board this is and which of those bits of
info were ther key indentifiers.

---

Another question I would like to ask is .... is this graphics card
any better than the integrated video on modern boards using the
latest integrated graphics chips like the "NVIDIA nForce2 IGP"?

(E.G. the Asus AV8NX-VM motherboard)
21 answers Last reply
More about help graphics card
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Sal Amie wrote:
    > I have this old graphics card which I am trying to identify. It is
    > labelled Sept 1999.

    This should help:

    http://www.ati.com/support/identify/IdentifyGraphProduct.html

    Regards,

    Parish

    > The circuit board has a logo on the circuit side which says
    > "graphics by ATI Rage 128"
    >
    > On the components side of the circuit board it says ""C in a
    > circle"" (copyright) 1999 ATI Technologies Inc.
    >
    > (1) Does this mean the board is actually made by ATI or is it
    > probbaly made by someone else using an ATI Rage chip? (I didn't
    > think grahhics chip companies like ATI made complete graphics
    > boards.)
    >
    > (2) Also on the circuit board it says "N625". What does this
    > mean?
    >
    > (3) Another paper label (with a barcode) says R128 GL 32M" but I
    > can't find that on the Web.
    >
    > (4) One of the chips has a paper label saying "R128 66501"
    >
    > Can someone tell me what board this is and which of those bits of
    > info were ther key indentifiers.
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Another question I would like to ask is .... is this graphics card
    > any better than the integrated video on modern boards using the
    > latest integrated graphics chips like the "NVIDIA nForce2 IGP"?
    >
    > (E.G. the Asus AV8NX-VM motherboard)
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:36:37 +0100, Sal Amie <Sal_Amie@eatm.com> wrote:

    >I have this old graphics card which I am trying to identify. It is
    >labelled Sept 1999.
    >
    >The circuit board has a logo on the circuit side which says
    >"graphics by ATI Rage 128"

    So it's an ATI Rage 128 or 128 Pro.

    >On the components side of the circuit board it says ""C in a
    >circle"" (copyright) 1999 ATI Technologies Inc.
    >
    >(1) Does this mean the board is actually made by ATI or is it
    >probbaly made by someone else using an ATI Rage chip? (I didn't
    >think grahhics chip companies like ATI made complete graphics
    >boards.)

    Doesn't really matter who made it, the standard driver offered by ATI,
    most current version, is typically the best to use regardless of who made
    it.

    >(2) Also on the circuit board it says "N625". What does this
    >mean?

    Don't know, don't think it matters.

    >(3) Another paper label (with a barcode) says R128 GL 32M" but I
    >can't find that on the Web.

    32MB of memory, suggests it's the "Pro" version. Fortunately that means
    it will work on modern boards, not only the 3.3V AGP1 boards.

    >(4) One of the chips has a paper label saying "R128 66501"

    Sounds like it might be the bios EPROM, not necessary to consider.

    >Can someone tell me what board this is and which of those bits of
    >info were ther key indentifiers.

    Go here,
    http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
    select the OS, "graphics driver", and "Rage 128 Pro"

    The next page would offer the driver and Tuner/Capture software. If this
    isn't an All-In-Wonder, which it doesn't seem to be, you most likely do
    not need the Tuner/Capture software. However if the card does have an
    S-video input jack then that capture software could be needed.

    >Another question I would like to ask is .... is this graphics card
    >any better than the integrated video on modern boards using the
    >latest integrated graphics chips like the "NVIDIA nForce2 IGP"?
    >
    >(E.G. the Asus AV8NX-VM motherboard)

    It should be similar or perhaps a little better at display crispness
    (which can vary from card to card, you'll have to try that and see for
    yourself).

    The motherboard example you gave it wrong/mistyped or something.
    Asus has an A7V8X-VM, Via chipset integrated video, or an A7N8X-VM,
    nForce2 integrated video. Either of those OR the ATI 128 are plenty fast
    enough for 2D usage, movie/DVD playback, etc.

    The ATI 128 is, IIRC, just a little bit slower than the A7V8X-VM's video
    in 3D gaming, but much, much slower than the A7N8X-VM's video, providing
    you use 2 memory modules for dual channel mode. However for 3D gaming,
    any modern mid to high-end video card would be faster than any of the
    above.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Sal Amie wrote:
    > I have this old graphics card which I am trying to identify. It is
    > labelled Sept 1999.
    >
    > The circuit board has a logo on the circuit side which says
    > "graphics by ATI Rage 128"
    >
    > On the components side of the circuit board it says ""C in a
    > circle"" (copyright) 1999 ATI Technologies Inc.
    >
    > (1) Does this mean the board is actually made by ATI or is it
    > probbaly made by someone else using an ATI Rage chip? (I didn't
    > think grahhics chip companies like ATI made complete graphics
    > boards.)

    Well that's where you're wrong, you see. ATI make their own boards - Nvidia
    never have. Just visit ATI's site.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    uh.....lessee.......
    click RUN
    type in "cmd" <enter>
    type in "DEBUG" <enter>
    type in "d c000:0010" <enter>
    type in "d" <enter> a couple times for a couple more screens until you get
    to the part of the Video BIOS that has the model # you want to see.
    It should tell you what it is.

    when you're done, type in "q" <enter> {for quit}
    Of course <enter> is the enter key and the parts in "" are what you type (without
    the "" quotes.

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:36:37 +0100, Sal Amie <Sal_Amie@eatm.com> wrote:

    >I have this old graphics card which I am trying to identify. It is
    >labelled Sept 1999.
    >
    >The circuit board has a logo on the circuit side which says
    >"graphics by ATI Rage 128"
    >
    >On the components side of the circuit board it says ""C in a
    >circle"" (copyright) 1999 ATI Technologies Inc.
    >
    >(1) Does this mean the board is actually made by ATI or is it
    >probbaly made by someone else using an ATI Rage chip? (I didn't
    >think grahhics chip companies like ATI made complete graphics
    >boards.)
    >
    >(2) Also on the circuit board it says "N625". What does this
    >mean?
    >
    >(3) Another paper label (with a barcode) says R128 GL 32M" but I
    >can't find that on the Web.
    >
    >(4) One of the chips has a paper label saying "R128 66501"
    >
    >Can someone tell me what board this is and which of those bits of
    >info were ther key indentifiers.
    >
    >---
    >
    >Another question I would like to ask is .... is this graphics card
    >any better than the integrated video on modern boards using the
    >latest integrated graphics chips like the "NVIDIA nForce2 IGP"?
    >
    >(E.G. the Asus AV8NX-VM motherboard)

    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > uh.....lessee.......
    > click RUN
    > type in "cmd" <enter>
    > type in "DEBUG" <enter>
    > type in "d c000:0010" <enter>
    > type in "d" <enter> a couple times for a couple more screens until you get
    > to the part of the Video BIOS that has the model # you want to see.
    > It should tell you what it is.
    >
    > when you're done, type in "q" <enter> {for quit}
    > Of course <enter> is the enter key and the parts in "" are what you type
    (without
    > the "" quotes.

    OUCH!!

    Been doing this a while, eh?

    Remember how to format an MFM drive in debug?
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Noozer wrote:

    > "Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>uh.....lessee.......
    >>click RUN
    >>type in "cmd" <enter>
    >>type in "DEBUG" <enter>
    >>type in "d c000:0010" <enter>
    >>type in "d" <enter> a couple times for a couple more screens until you get
    >>to the part of the Video BIOS that has the model # you want to see.
    >>It should tell you what it is.
    >>
    >>when you're done, type in "q" <enter> {for quit}
    >>Of course <enter> is the enter key and the parts in "" are what you type
    >
    > (without
    >
    >>the "" quotes.
    >

    > OUCH!!
    >
    > Been doing this a while, eh?
    >
    > Remember how to format an MFM drive in debug?

    Oh, man. Talk about dredging up nasty memories.

    I used to be so good at making typos in the worst
    possible places when using debug - and I remember
    managing to permanently ruin an MFM drive. It was
    a 5 MB or 10 MB drive and cost more than I made in
    a month.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:44:04 GMT, "Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote:

    >"Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> uh.....lessee.......
    >> click RUN
    >> type in "cmd" <enter>
    >> type in "DEBUG" <enter>
    >> type in "d c000:0010" <enter>
    >> type in "d" <enter> a couple times for a couple more screens until you get
    >> to the part of the Video BIOS that has the model # you want to see.
    >> It should tell you what it is.
    >>
    >> when you're done, type in "q" <enter> {for quit}
    >> Of course <enter> is the enter key and the parts in "" are what you type
    >(without
    >> the "" quotes.
    >
    >OUCH!!
    >
    >Been doing this a while, eh?
    >
    >Remember how to format an MFM drive in debug?

    Sometimes the old tricks work best<G>.
    I seem to remember formatting floppies that way.

    I recall keeping a cheap generic config.sys and autoexec.bat on the root
    and editing command.com so it looked for and used files other than those
    to fire up. Didn't want some empty headed installation program editing my
    baby; my 10 or 12 page autoexec.bat and almost as large config.sys.

    I remember making 50 character init$ for modems.

    I remember typing in switches to make zmodem file transfers from the DOS prompt...
    But there got to be so many protocols; Xmodem, Ymodem, Zmodem, DSZmodem,
    GSZmodem, FASTmodem, Hydra, Imodem, HSlink, DSZ Qmodem G, IceZmodem,
    Jmodem, Tmodem, VisualZmodem, Smodem, VXY Xmodem 1k.... and each one had it's variants.
    I forget the more exotic and obscure protocols now, used a couple dozen I guess.
    Eventually I had to put them all in a batch file as each would have a line of switches.
    Typing in a simple Xmodem transfer and find you're adding a Kermit switch is a Bad Thing.

    Forgot a hell of a lot since then.....

    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:16:01 -0600, Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net> wrote:

    >Noozer wrote:
    >
    >> "Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>uh.....lessee.......
    >>>click RUN
    >>>type in "cmd" <enter>
    >>>type in "DEBUG" <enter>
    >>>type in "d c000:0010" <enter>
    >>>type in "d" <enter> a couple times for a couple more screens until you get
    >>>to the part of the Video BIOS that has the model # you want to see.
    >>>It should tell you what it is.
    >>>
    >>>when you're done, type in "q" <enter> {for quit}
    >>>Of course <enter> is the enter key and the parts in "" are what you type
    >>
    >> (without
    >>
    >>>the "" quotes.
    >>

    >> OUCH!!
    >>
    >> Been doing this a while, eh?
    >>
    >> Remember how to format an MFM drive in debug?
    >>

    >Oh, man. Talk about dredging up nasty memories.
    >
    >I used to be so good at making typos in the worst
    >possible places when using debug - and I remember
    >managing to permanently ruin an MFM drive. It was
    >a 5 MB or 10 MB drive and cost more than I made in
    >a month.

    But doublespace was great. Almost doubled your storage.
    You ever find that huge file on that G or H partition and
    delete it for the space.... and find that was your entire C
    drive in a single compressed file on a sneaky partition?
    I forget what the name of the util was before M$ stole it...

    Remember using Copy con for cobbling your files and then
    when they didn't work using Debug or Edlin to troubleshoot 'em?

    I remember kids bringing me dual 5¼ floppy systems and wanting
    me to make it so they could run Doom....
    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Overlord wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:16:01 -0600, Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Noozer wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> (without

    >>> OUCH!!
    >>>
    >>> Been doing this a while, eh?
    >>>
    >>> Remember how to format an MFM drive in debug?
    >>>

    >>Oh, man. Talk about dredging up nasty memories.
    >>
    >>I used to be so good at making typos in the worst
    >>possible places when using debug - and I remember
    >>managing to permanently ruin an MFM drive. It was
    >>a 5 MB or 10 MB drive and cost more than I made in
    >>a month.
    >
    > But doublespace was great. Almost doubled your storage.
    > You ever find that huge file on that G or H partition and
    > delete it for the space.... and find that was your entire C
    > drive in a single compressed file on a sneaky partition?
    > I forget what the name of the util was before M$ stole it...

    Stacker by Stac IIRC.

    > Remember using Copy con for cobbling your files and then
    > when they didn't work using Debug or Edlin to troubleshoot 'em?
    >
    > I remember kids bringing me dual 5¼ floppy systems and wanting
    > me to make it so they could run Doom....
    > ~~~~~~
    > Bait for spammers:
    > root@localhost
    > postmaster@localhost
    > admin@localhost
    > abuse@localhost
    > postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    > uce@ftc.gov
    > ~~~~~~
    > Remove "spamless" to email me.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:03:11 GMT, kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com (Overlord)
    wrote:

    >But doublespace was great. Almost doubled your storage.
    >You ever find that huge file on that G or H partition and
    >delete it for the space.... and find that was your entire C
    >drive in a single compressed file on a sneaky partition?
    >I forget what the name of the util was before M$ stole it...

    Stacker... was impressive until you start using it for a while...

    >Remember using Copy con for cobbling your files and then
    >when they didn't work using Debug or Edlin to troubleshoot 'em?

    I still use copy con now and then when I forgot to put a copy of edit
    onto a boot disk. :PpPp

  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Sal Amie" <Sal_Amie@eatm.com> wrote in message
    > I have this old graphics card which I am trying to identify. It is
    > labelled Sept 1999.
    >
    > The circuit board has a logo on the circuit side which says
    > "graphics by ATI Rage 128"
    >
    > On the components side of the circuit board it says ""C in a
    > circle"" (copyright) 1999 ATI Technologies Inc.
    >
    > (1) Does this mean the board is actually made by ATI or is it
    > probbaly made by someone else using an ATI Rage chip? (I didn't
    > think grahhics chip companies like ATI made complete graphics
    > boards.)
    >
    > (2) Also on the circuit board it says "N625". What does this
    > mean?
    >
    > (3) Another paper label (with a barcode) says R128 GL 32M" but I
    > can't find that on the Web.
    >
    > (4) One of the chips has a paper label saying "R128 66501"
    >
    > Can someone tell me what board this is and which of those bits of
    > info were ther key indentifiers.
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Another question I would like to ask is .... is this graphics card
    > any better than the integrated video on modern boards using the
    > latest integrated graphics chips like the "NVIDIA nForce2 IGP"?
    >
    > (E.G. the Asus AV8NX-VM motherboard)

    http://www.halfdone.com/Development/UnknownDevices/
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > > I have this old graphics card which I am trying to identify. It is
    > > labelled Sept 1999.
    > > The circuit board has a logo on the circuit side which says
    > > "graphics by ATI Rage 128"
    > > On the components side of the circuit board it says ""C in a
    > > circle"" (copyright) 1999 ATI Technologies Inc.
    > >
    > > (1) Does this mean the board is actually made by ATI or is it
    > > probbaly made by someone else using an ATI Rage chip? (I didn't
    > > think grahhics chip companies like ATI made complete graphics
    > > boards.)

    ATI does make their own graphics cards and they also sell their
    chips to other manufacturers. Your board was made by ATI.

    > > (3) Another paper label (with a barcode) says R128 GL 32M" but I
    > > can't find that on the Web.

    The card is a a RAGE 128 card with 32MB of RAM.
    It could be an Expert 2000.

    > > Another question I would like to ask is .... is this graphics card
    > > any better than the integrated video on modern boards using the
    > > latest integrated graphics chips like the "NVIDIA nForce2 IGP"?
    > > (E.G. the Asus AV8NX-VM motherboard)

    It's slower that the built-in video on that motherboard.

    ---
    Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
    E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
    Internet dealer for 13+ years!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!
  13. priitkangur99@hot.eesame broblem, I dont know what card i have, only know that 32mb ati RAGE 128 pro GL SDR (100Mhz) VGA, agp4x, BIOS Date: 2002/05/31 19:33 can someone help ?
  14. what the??? my post are like messy :S

    same broblem, I dont know what card i have???,
    only know that 32mb ati RAGE 128 pro GL SDR (100Mhz) VGA, agp4x, BIOS Date: 2002/05/31 19:33
    can someone help ?
  15. Thats because you posted in a 5 year old thread you nitwit
  16. B-Unit said:
    Thats because you posted in a 5 year old thread you nitwit

    +1 to B-Unit for makin me laugh :lol:
  17. yes yes tru its reply is laike tuning tehe trash, but i have serious problem, my monitor boxes is waving like crazy, please can someone help, i have tray already different driver noffing dosent aksept displaycard, I have try Rage 128, Rage 128 pro, Rage xl ,Expert 2000 and many more drivers :S text what comes is...
    " This display driver is not compatible whit the display adapter(s) installed in your system." it´s seems like wrong drivers, but my brain is emty I dont know what to do ??? I dont have original driver CD and There arent writen any clue to wideocard, I download ewerest and info is next:

    AGP Controller:
    AGP Version 2.00
    AGP Status Enabled
    AGP Device ATI Rage128 Pro AGP4X AGP
    Aperture Size 64 MB
    Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
    Current AGP Speed 4x
    Fast-Write Not Supported
    Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

    Graphics Processor Properties:
    Video Adapter ATI Rage128 Pro AGP4X
    BIOS Version BK3.0.3 VR001.001.003.004.000.026 tfcp128.100 v611
    BIOS Date 2002/05/31 19:33
    GPU Code Name Rage128Pro
    Part Number RAGE128 PRO GL SDR VGA BIOS B2.003 PCI Device 1002-5446 / 1002-5446 (Rev 00)
    Bus Type AGP 4x @ 4x
    Memory Size 32 MB
    GPU Clock 100 MHz (original: 100 MHz)
    Pixel Pipelines 2 TMU Per Pipeline 1 Vertex
    Shaders Not Supported
    Pixel Shaders Not Supported
    DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v6.0
    Pixel Fillrate 200 MPixel/s
  18. sorry my englis is littel rusty :)
  19. jcknouse said:
    +1 to B-Unit for makin me laugh :lol:

    So true tho.

    What on earth is up with the necroing?
  20. At the end of every article, there are links to 'Whats being talked about in the forums'.

    Problem is they dont have any kind of date filtering...
  21. Wow, another thing to complain about.

CPUs Hardware Graphics Cards ATI