Opinions? Home Wireless Network?

Have a Dell Dimension 8200 running Home XP. Am looking to set up
wireless home network -- specifically, buyingMicrosoft wireless
802.11g network rig. Several reasons for this choice

(1) Generic -- added Internet security (built-in firewall, etc.);
(2) Microsoft wireless network products are cheap (basestation <$50);
(3) Can surf on my laptop in bed (okay, maybe I need a life, but
that's for another board).

Any known problems with Microsoft wireless routers and Verizon DSL??
"Better" wireless network equipment choices? Microsoft is apparently
discontinuing its network equipment, but free phone support continues
for 2 years, which seems sufficient.

Thx.

Boad

Boad wrote:
> Have a Dell Dimension 8200 running Home XP. Am looking to set up
> wireless home network -- specifically, buyingMicrosoft wireless
> 802.11g network rig. Several reasons for this choice
>
> (1) Generic -- added Internet security (built-in firewall, etc.);
> (2) Microsoft wireless network products are cheap (basestation <$50);
> (3) Can surf on my laptop in bed (okay, maybe I need a life, but
> that's for another board).
>
> Any known problems with Microsoft wireless routers and Verizon DSL??
> "Better" wireless network equipment choices? Microsoft is apparently
> discontinuing its network equipment, but free phone support continues
> for 2 years, which seems sufficient.
>
> Thx.
>
> Boad

I'd be leery about buying discontinued hardware and expecting that 2
year support to be meaningful. What happens if within 12 months, the
hardware goes bad and you have to return it for replacement? You'll wind
up waiting for a like piece of returned hardware to be recertfied before
it can replace yours.

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:07:06 +0100, Robin Grayson <robin@rg-net.com>
wrote:

>I use introduced a Belkin 802.11g access point to my already wired DSL
>router and am currently running 2 PC's and a laptop over the wireless.
>
>Works a treat now, and have had no problems in the last year, however
>initially I did have to mess about with the wireless channel to get a
>decent connection. I can use the laptop in any room in my house and
>even out in the garden.

Agreed, not only can I see my own wireless network anywhere in the
house or garden but there are multiple others in use in my street. I
know one is next door but the others must come from houses
considerably further away and signals are still at 40-50%. They would
also have to travel through the outside walls of the respective
houses.

>Just had a quick look on Amazon and they are selling a Belkin ADSL
>Modem with built in wireless for £71.99 (around $131)

There must be somewhere cheaper than Amazon? Amazon seems to be
almost universally expensive now, no matter what you are trying to
buy.

Taking a moment's reflection, Boad mused:

| Any known problems with Microsoft wireless routers and Verizon DSL??
| "Better" wireless network equipment choices? Microsoft is apparently
| discontinuing its network equipment, but free phone support continues
| for 2 years, which seems sufficient.

I don't know of any issues specifically with the two, but I can tell you
that Linksys and Netgear offer products in that same price range that are
not being discontinued. So, don't limit yourself (seemingly) due to price.

Taking a moment's reflection, Tom McCune mused:

| I sure didn't spend any $400 adding a Linksys WPA11 (access point) to my
| Linksys BEFSX41 (router), and getting a Linksys WPC11 card for my laptop.

No guff. I went with all 11g components for under $120 for Linksys
WAP54G and WPC54G. Also added a Netgear WG511 (11g WLAN) for under $50.

jboad@hotmail.xxx (Boad) wrote in news:40e8aa26.37595515
@news.bellatlantic.net:

> Have a Dell Dimension 8200 running Home XP. Am looking to set up
> Any known problems with Microsoft wireless routers and Verizon DSL??
> "Better" wireless network equipment choices? Microsoft is apparently
> discontinuing its network equipment, but free phone support continues
> for 2 years, which seems sufficient.

I have been running a Linksys wireless setup since 2001 with no problems. I
certainly wouldn't be going with something that is being discontinued.

Duane :)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Tom McCune <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in

> I sure didn't spend any $400 adding a Linksys WPA11 (access point) to
> my Linksys BEFSX41 (router), and getting a Linksys WPC11 card for my
> laptop. I only share Internet access (cable modem), but couldn't be
> happier with the results. I normally use it a couple rooms away, and
> my Internet download speed remains at the RoadRunner cap of 3Mbs.

I set up the Linksys WPA11 WPC11 system for a friend who uses it to
transmit upstairs and across the house. He's very happy with it.

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply