Ballmer: Next Generation of Windows is Coming 2012; Microsoft Confusingly Says I

Status
Not open for further replies.

spammit

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
I hope it's not 2012; I feel like it would be too soon. Some people have barely started using Windows 7 and others haven't even migrated yet (which may not be such a bad thing for Windows 8). I feel that releasing it this early will just cause confusion and frustration among plenty of people as most people think Windows 7 just came out (which, really, it did)

verbalizer

Distinguished
whatever...
it's all games and propaganda.
greedy MS bastards.
he's probably speaking on the mobile department and/or the on-going battle about ARM.
still I refuse to pay for MS if I can..

erichoyt

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Wouldn't this really just be another update to the Vista structure? Win7 is regarded as a service pack update to that architecture? So, Ballmer was just highlighting another update to this package, not another new platform? Confusing either way....

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I think the versioning issue has already been addressed earlier this year when they announced Windows 7.5 (Windows 7 with big Service Pack changes) releasing early next year.

I wish Ballmer would just shut up and went back to what he does best, which is.....
BTW, what is it that he does best? Oh yes, enjoying the taste of his foot.
This dude has done nothing original/positive for MS since he took charge. I think he does not understand the company he's running. Maybe Gates could look into replacing him. Miss the good old days.

cjmcgee

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
So basically this means that they are targeting next year and they are internally calling it windows 8, but marketing does not want that name or date official.

I think it will be: Windows 8: The "Ocho"!

Well they have to call it something for now and 8 is more logical than 6.1.7850.0.winmain_win8m1.100922-1508_x86fre_client-enterprise_en-us.

I'm cool with Win8 as the official name. I would hate for Microsoft to try to be like so many car manufacturers and come out with more and more ridiculous names year after year lol

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
whatever the name scheme is, I'm certain that I will be skipping on windows 8 or whatever name it comes out.

just like I skipped the silly vista.

now as for Windows "9" or "10" it will depend a lot to me if they go the "cloud way", then Windows 7 would be my LAST M$ operating system then.

But if they make up their minds and produce a "normal _ on my hard drive" of my choice OS then I might upgrade when is time.

Simply put I will never use a "cloud" based OS, I rather have my files on MY own PC.

ram1009

Distinguished
[citation][nom]spammit[/nom]I hope it's not 2012; I feel like it would be too soon. Some people have barely started using Windows 7 and others haven't even migrated yet (which may not be such a bad thing for Windows 8). I feel that releasing it this early will just cause confusion and frustration among plenty of people as most people think Windows 7 just came out (which, really, it did)[/citation]
Get serious. W7 is nothing but a re-shuffle of XP to the user. I still use XP Pro along with most of the world and will continue to use it until it until it no longer does what I need an OS to do. I hope W8 has something useful and worth the money it costs but I seriously doubt it. The truth is software innovation has plateaued. The days of revolutionary leaps have been replaced by evolutionary creeps and it's difficult to justify the expense of a "new" OS when all you get is a few minor tweaks. Yearly subscriptions are just around the corner.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]spammit[/nom]I hope it's not 2012; I feel like it would be too soon. Some people have barely started using Windows 7 and others haven't even migrated yet (which may not be such a bad thing for Windows 8). I feel that releasing it this early will just cause confusion and frustration among plenty of people as most people think Windows 7 just came out (which, really, it did)[/citation]

So sick of hearing this from people who's formative years were during the Windows XP period and have a distorted view of the Windows release schedule. Windows 7 came out in 2009, "Windows 8" is going to most likely be released in 2012, that's 3 years apart, whilst Ubuntu for example is updated every 6 months, OS X every 2 years on average, etc.

Every Windows version besides Vista has been released after its predecessor in less than 4 years (e.g. Windows 2.0 through to 3.1, Windows 95 and 98, Windows Me, Windows XP and Windows 7). Windows Vista wasn't the norm, it was the final result of the Longhorn project that was meant to be originally released in 2003 (2 years after XP) but became inundated with setbacks.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I wish Ballmer would just shut up and went back to what he does best, which is.....[/citation]
Which are the infomercials!!! Seriously, this guy gets just as animated today as he did in those pathetic sell-bits he used to star in selling Windows.

I too feel Windows releases come a bit too fast. Like someone else said, we're at the peak for OS capability. We're past, input, GUI, mouse control, networking, video/graphics and gaming, touchscreen, and so on. There aren't many revolutionary things that can be done with an OS, possibly within it though like code rework or file structure. To me it's like CPU's, there's a reason core speed has been around 3 GHz for years (where are the OEM 4+ GHZ chips already?) - they've simply hit the proverbial wall. Like with Windows 8, I won't upgrade until I see something revolutionary or until Ballmer tells me I'm SOL on my update/security subscription.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Just another incompetent, grossly overcompensated, CEO.

I agree, what does this guy REALLY contribute to Microsoft?

The biggest mystery is WHY do these companies insist on hiring such buffoons, they do it over and over and over again, gaining nothing in the process. I think US companies should start outsourcing executive management and bring the truly productive jobs back to the US again.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]To me it's like CPU's, there's a reason core speed has been around 3 GHz for years (where are the OEM 4+ GHZ chips already?) - they've simply hit the proverbial wall.[/citation]
Terrible analogy, no such wall has been hit. A Pentium 4 Extreme Edition at 3.2ghz performed 9,726 MIPSm whilst an i7 Extreme Edition performs 147,600 MIPS at 3.3 GHz, the Ghz wars were a marketing gimmick, not a true indicator of performance or progress.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
What's wrong with Windows 8? That will let people know that if they have Windows 7, Windows 8 is newer. If they name it something stupid like Windows Cirrus (for cloud, get it?), average users will be terribly confused. Of course, average users probably buy whatever computer the guy at Best Buy tells them too, so they probably won't care either way.

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
So sick of hearing this from people who's formative years were during the Windows XP period and have a distorted view of the Windows release schedule. Windows 7 came out in 2009, "Windows 8" is going to most likely be released in 2012, that's 3 years apart, whilst Ubuntu for example is updated every 6 months, OS X every 2 years on average, etc.

But at least Ubuntu (and other Linux distributions) don't try to charge you for a "new" operating system every time they release. Nor do they actively work to break your older software so you MUST buy newer versions of that as well. Besides, if you happen to not like the way the FOSS software works, you're FREE to modify the code.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Wow...this turned into quite the discussion. Maybe we can just wait until it's closer to release to get really upset about features that will or won't be included.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Can't companies just stick to regular naming? How did it go from Windows 1.0-3.1 to Windows 95-2000 to Windows ME to XP then to Vista then back to Windows 7.0?! WUT THE EFF

kastraelie

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
"Still, it's hard to believe that Ballmer would misstate what the next version of Windows will be called, seeing that he is the CEO."

Yes, but as we all know, he is a dumb###.

Status
Not open for further replies.