BayStar asks money back from SCO, SCO share 30% down.

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2004 2:26:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.development.apps (More info?)

Suggesting: 'SCO needs to focus more on the profitable legal case
against Linux, and less on Unix'.
BayStar asked 20 million dollars back.

You do not believe this, really the limit...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech/04/23/sco.investme...

JP
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2004 3:30:25 AM

"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Suggesting: 'SCO needs to focus more on the profitable legal case
> against Linux, and less on Unix'.
> BayStar asked 20 million dollars back.
>
> You do not believe this, really the limit...
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech/04/23/sco.investme...

<quote>
An SCO official said BayStar still hasn't responded to the company's
repeated efforts to discuss the falling out. "We are certainly interested in
working out our differences," SCO spokesman Blake Stowell said.
</quote>

Translation: "Oh please, please, big daddy, don't whip us anymore. We'll
gladly swallow it." :-)

<quote>
BayStar, which specializes in making private investments in publicly held
companies, arranged a $50 million infusion for SCO last fall. The Royal Bank
of Canada contributed $30 million of the financing. The Royal Bank hasn't
revealed what it will do if BayStar abandons SCO.
</quote>

<quote>
The public strife is unusual for BayStar, a low-profile investment firm
founded in 1998 by former bankers Lawrence Goldfarb and Steven Lamar. Since
its inception, BayStar has invested $745 million in about 160 companies,
including XM Satellite Radio Inc. and Roxio Inc.
</quote>

Lawrence Goldfarb? I've heard of the guy, he's one of the big Jewish
Canadian billionaires. The Royal Bank of Canada is also involved. So this
entire fiasco is being financed by Canadian money-mavens, huh?

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2004 3:45:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.development.apps (More info?)

On a sunny day (Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:30:25 GMT) it happened "Yousuf Khan"
<news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
<lGhic.229604$2oI1.130459@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>:

>Lawrence Goldfarb? I've heard of the guy, he's one of the big Jewish
>Canadian billionaires. The Royal Bank of Canada is also involved. So this
>entire fiasco is being financed by Canadian money-mavens, huh?
>
> Yousuf Khan
Looks like a Jewish plot to me ;-)
JP

PS Do I hear a helicopter?
Oh my
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2004 8:54:07 AM

> >Lawrence Goldfarb? I've heard of the guy, he's one of the big Jewish
> >Canadian billionaires. The Royal Bank of Canada is also involved. So this
> >entire fiasco is being financed by Canadian money-mavens, huh?
> >
> > Yousuf Khan
> Looks like a Jewish plot to me ;-)
> JP
>
> PS Do I hear a helicopter?
> Oh my

Probably more likely red & white helicopters that are about 40 years old and
held together with duct tape. (Badap-badap, ooh yeah, yet another easy jab
at Canada's armed forces.) :-)

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2004 9:35:15 AM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Yousuf Khan <news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> PS Do I hear a helicopter?
>
> Probably more likely red & white helicopters that are about 40 years old and
> held together with duct tape. (Badap-badap, ooh yeah, yet another easy jab
> at Canada's armed forces.) :-)

'Cept the jab misses. Tony H is in Canada.

Jan is in the Netherlands. They plant helicpoters in the
ground with their rotors facing the wind :)  And certainly
cannot fly after dark. Noise Laws.

-- Robert
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2004 12:35:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.development.apps (More info?)

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Apr 2004 04:54:07 GMT) it happened "Yousuf Khan"
<PvHic.7424$2A3.3923@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>:

>"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >Lawrence Goldfarb? I've heard of the guy, he's one of the big Jewish
>> >Canadian billionaires. The Royal Bank of Canada is also involved. So this
>> >entire fiasco is being financed by Canadian money-mavens, huh?
>> >
>> > Yousuf Khan
>> Looks like a Jewish plot to me ;-)
>> JP
>>
>> PS Do I hear a helicopter?
>> Oh my
>
>Probably more likely red & white helicopters that are about 40 years old and
>held together with duct tape. (Badap-badap, ooh yeah, yet another easy jab
>at Canada's armed forces.) :-)
>
> Yousuf Khan

Yes, without duct tape the earth would fly away :-)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2004 12:36:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.development.apps (More info?)

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Apr 2004 05:35:15 GMT) it happened Robert Redelmeier
<redelm@ev1.net.invalid> wrote in
<n6Iic.1362$Uk.444@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com>:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Yousuf Khan <news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>> "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> PS Do I hear a helicopter?
>>
>> Probably more likely red & white helicopters that are about 40 years old and
>> held together with duct tape. (Badap-badap, ooh yeah, yet another easy jab
>> at Canada's armed forces.) :-)
>
>'Cept the jab misses. Tony H is in Canada.
>
>Jan is in the Netherlands. They plant helicpoters in the
>ground with their rotors facing the wind :)  And certainly
>cannot fly after dark. Noise Laws.

LOL
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2004 12:44:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.development.apps (More info?)

In article <c6h7dn$ekh$1@news.wplus.net>,
pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com says...
> On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Apr 2004 04:54:07 GMT) it happened "Yousuf Khan"
> <news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
> <PvHic.7424$2A3.3923@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>:
>
> >"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Looks like a Jewish plot to me ;-)
> >> JP
> >>
> >> PS Do I hear a helicopter?
> >> Oh my
> >
> >Probably more likely red & white helicopters that are about 40 years old and
> >held together with duct tape. (Badap-badap, ooh yeah, yet another easy jab
> >at Canada's armed forces.) :-)
> >
> > Yousuf Khan
> >

> Yes, without duct tape the earth would fly away :-)

Obviously .nl already has!

--
Keith
April 26, 2004 1:24:35 AM

Jan Panteltje wrote:

> Suggesting: 'SCO needs to focus more on the profitable legal case
> against Linux, and less on Unix'.
> BayStar asked 20 million dollars back.
>
> You do not believe this, really the limit...
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech/04/23/sco.investme...
>
> JP

<quote>
The financing raised eyebrows in the high-tech community after BayStar and
SCO confirmed they had been introduced to each other by software giant
Microsoft Corp., which has been losing some customers to Linux. Microsoft
says it has no financial ties to BayStar.

So "Baystar" is pressuring SCO to attack linux and forget about developing
something as silly as it's own products. Yea I'm sure Microstar, I mean
Baystar has no ties to Microsoft....
--

Stacey
Anonymous

Quoth Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com>:
> Jan Panteltje wrote:
>
>> Suggesting: 'SCO needs to focus more on the profitable legal case
>> against Linux, and less on Unix'.
>> BayStar asked 20 million dollars back.
>>
>> You do not believe this, really the limit...
>>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech/04/23/sco.investme...
>>
>> JP
>
> <quote>
> The financing raised eyebrows in the high-tech community after BayStar and
> SCO confirmed they had been introduced to each other by software giant
> Microsoft Corp., which has been losing some customers to Linux. Microsoft
> says it has no financial ties to BayStar.
>
> So "Baystar" is pressuring SCO to attack linux and forget about developing
> something as silly as it's own products. Yea I'm sure Microstar, I mean
> Baystar has no ties to Microsoft....

Ah, but that's not the set of choices.

Baystar is pressuring SCO to actually pursue its lawsuits, as opposed
to grandstanding badly. And they are, in effect, right.

If SCO's to pursue this, it is appropriate for them to do so
competently; if they don't, Baystar is right to chide them for it.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne&gt; rate me
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html

Christopher Browne wrote:

> Quoth Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com>:
>>
>> <quote>
>> The financing raised eyebrows in the high-tech community after BayStar
>> and SCO confirmed they had been introduced to each other by software
>> giant Microsoft Corp., which has been losing some customers to Linux.
>> Microsoft says it has no financial ties to BayStar.
>>
>> So "Baystar" is pressuring SCO to attack linux and forget about
>> developing something as silly as it's own products. Yea I'm sure
>> Microstar, I mean Baystar has no ties to Microsoft....
>
> Ah, but that's not the set of choices.

Uh yes it is..

<quote>

BayStar Capital Management LLC believes SCO needs to hire executives with
more savvy about intellectual property cases and spend less money on its
Unix products

> Baystar is pressuring SCO to actually pursue its lawsuits, as opposed
> to grandstanding badly.

No they are pressuring SCO to go after it's "Linux lawsuit" and forget their
unix products, which is what the lawsuit is based on. So now a company that
used to develop software is trying to make -big money- sueing anyone they
can using money from someone who is interested in seeing linux users
attacked. Wonder who is behind this funding? MS gave them 30 million, then
MS "introduced" Baystar to them. No you're right, MS has no interest in
this at all!
--

Stacey
Anonymous

Christopher Browne wrote:
> Quoth Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com>:
>> So "Baystar" is pressuring SCO to attack linux and forget about
>> developing something as silly as it's own products. Yea I'm sure
>> Microstar, I mean Baystar has no ties to Microsoft....
>
> Ah, but that's not the set of choices.
>
> Baystar is pressuring SCO to actually pursue its lawsuits, as opposed
> to grandstanding badly. And they are, in effect, right.
>
> If SCO's to pursue this, it is appropriate for them to do so
> competently; if they don't, Baystar is right to chide them for it.

According to this, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/22/repellent_sco/ ,
Baystar is starting to get nervous about McBride's big mouth, and they are
saying that they should just concentrate on the lawsuit. Or is that really
an excuse? It could be an implied acknowledgement of pending defeat, and
they are trying to get back whatever money they can recover from SCO while
they can.

Afterall, loudmouthed CEOs shouldn't be enough to lose them this case. Only
the merits of this case will lose them this case.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2004 8:35:18 AM

Yousuf Khan wrote:

> According to this, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/22/repellent_sco/ ,
> Baystar is starting to get nervous about McBride's big mouth, and they are
> saying that they should just concentrate on the lawsuit. Or is that really
> an excuse? It could be an implied acknowledgement of pending defeat, and
> they are trying to get back whatever money they can recover from SCO while
> they can.

I would assume that Baystar had some SCO stock and did not
simply loan them some money. If that is actually the case,
they might have been better off quietly bowing out and simply
selling off their stock. As it is, they made headlines instead
and SCO's stock fell 30%. (Has it recovered since then ?)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 26, 2004 3:40:04 PM

Rob Stow wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>> According to this,
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/22/repellent_sco/ , Baystar is
>> starting to get nervous about McBride's big mouth, and they are
>> saying that they should just concentrate on the lawsuit. Or is that
>> really an excuse? It could be an implied acknowledgement of pending
>> defeat, and they are trying to get back whatever money they can
>> recover from SCO while they can.
>
> I would assume that Baystar had some SCO stock and did not
> simply loan them some money. If that is actually the case,
> they might have been better off quietly bowing out and simply
> selling off their stock. As it is, they made headlines instead
> and SCO's stock fell 30%. (Has it recovered since then ?)

I think Baystar is too smart to have owned only SCO stock, the real money is
in being a creditor. Afterall, when a company goes bankrupt it's the
creditors that get to pick over the corpse, not the shareholders. In this
case, it's recalling a loan to SCO, not selling off its stock.

Yousuf Khan
April 27, 2004 1:17:30 AM

Rob Stow wrote:

> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>> According to this, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/22/repellent_sco/
>> , Baystar is starting to get nervous about McBride's big mouth, and they
>> are saying that they should just concentrate on the lawsuit. Or is that
>> really an excuse? It could be an implied acknowledgement of pending
>> defeat, and they are trying to get back whatever money they can recover
>> from SCO while they can.
>
> I would assume that Baystar had some SCO stock and did not
> simply loan them some money. If that is actually the case,
> they might have been better off quietly bowing out and simply
> selling off their stock. As it is, they made headlines instead
> and SCO's stock fell 30%. (Has it recovered since then ?)

Or they could be interested in buying it, make these coments, watch the
price drop then buy it up! All they have to do then is say they changed
their mind and the prices jump back up 30%....

Isn't that what the whole SCO thing is, a pump and dump scheme?
--

Stacey
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.development.apps (More info?)

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:44:50 -0400) it happened KR Williams
<krw@att.biz> wrote in <MPG.1af62592da2ffb38989797@news1.news.adelphia.net>:

>> Yes, without duct tape the earth would fly away :-)
>
>Obviously .nl already has!
We are flying high!
The wind tunnel tests for the JSF are done here....
Was a picture in the paper of that.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2004 3:44:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.development.apps (More info?)

In article <c6k3i9$2kci$1@news.wplus.net>,
pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com says...
> On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:44:50 -0400) it happened KR Williams
> <krw@att.biz> wrote in <MPG.1af62592da2ffb38989797@news1.news.adelphia.net>:
>
> >> Yes, without duct tape the earth would fly away :-)
> >
> >Obviously .nl already has!
> We are flying high!

Yes, I knew that. .nl loves high.

> The wind tunnel tests for the JSF are done here....

You do have a reason for existing?

> Was a picture in the paper of that.

I'm sure you're complaining about it too.

--
Keith
Anonymous

KR Williams wrote:
>>> Obviously .nl already has!
>> We are flying high!
>
> Yes, I knew that. .nl loves high.
>
>> The wind tunnel tests for the JSF are done here....
>
> You do have a reason for existing?
>
>> Was a picture in the paper of that.
>
> I'm sure you're complaining about it too.

I don't know if you ever watch The Daily Show with John Stewart, it's a news
parody show. The other day he was interviewing this commentator from Fox
News, John Gibson, who wrote a book called, "Hating America: The New World
Sport". Basically he took examples of articles and op-eds written about
America in other countries, and summarized them. He had a chapter he wrote
where he combined South Korea, Belgium or the Netherlands (I can't remember
which), and Canada. His assertion was that this is the "Axis of Envy", these
countries are just jealous of America and its power, etc.

Well the host, John Stewart, said that maybe we're (i.e. Americans) not
presenting our case to the world properly. Afterall, if the Canadians hate
us, isn't that a bit like Mr. Rogers throwing a brick through your living
room window? :-)

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 27, 2004 7:13:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.development.apps (More info?)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Yousuf Khan <news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> Well the host, John Stewart, said that maybe we're (i.e. Americans) not
> presenting our case to the world properly. Afterall, if the Canadians hate
> us, isn't that a bit like Mr. Rogers throwing a brick through your living
> room window? :-)

LOL! But please remember history -- many Canadians, especially
those in Ontario, are refugees from the American Revolution.
They had to leave and resented it. Other Canadians, especially
those in the West or Quebec are far less anti-American.

-- Robert
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2004 12:26:59 AM

Robert Redelmeier wrote:
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Yousuf Khan
> <news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>> Well the host, John Stewart, said that maybe we're (i.e. Americans)
>> not presenting our case to the world properly. Afterall, if the
>> Canadians hate us, isn't that a bit like Mr. Rogers throwing a brick
>> through your living room window? :-)
>
> LOL! But please remember history -- many Canadians, especially
> those in Ontario, are refugees from the American Revolution.
> They had to leave and resented it. Other Canadians, especially
> those in the West or Quebec are far less anti-American.

I don't think there can be too much residual resentment left over from the
American Revolution anymore. :-)

Besides Ontario is now ethnically diverse, more than half the people in
Toronto say they were born some place else (and I don't mean Montreal or
Hamilton). They bring with them their own resentments, can't be bothered to
resent something that happened over two hundred years ago. :-)

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2004 1:48:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.linux.development.apps (More info?)

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:44:48 -0400) it happened KR Williams
<krw@att.biz> wrote in <MPG.1af7a13d3bff02459897b4@news1.news.adelphia.net>:

>In article <c6k3i9$2kci$1@news.wplus.net>,
>pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com says...

>> >Obviously .nl already has!
>> We are flying high!
>
>Yes, I knew that. .nl loves high.
>
>> The wind tunnel tests for the JSF are done here....
>
>You do have a reason for existing?
>
>> Was a picture in the paper of that.
>
>I'm sure you're complaining about it too.

With keith for president, very few alies would be left.
;-)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2004 6:42:37 AM

The world rejoiced as Robert Redelmeier <redelm@ev1.net.invalid> wrote:
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Yousuf Khan <news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>> Well the host, John Stewart, said that maybe we're (i.e. Americans) not
>> presenting our case to the world properly. Afterall, if the Canadians hate
>> us, isn't that a bit like Mr. Rogers throwing a brick through your living
>> room window? :-)
>
> LOL! But please remember history -- many Canadians, especially
> those in Ontario, are refugees from the American Revolution. They
> had to leave and resented it. Other Canadians, especially those in
> the West or Quebec are far less anti-American.

Hmm? That might be marginally true of "small town" Ontario, where
rural residents may have long term roots in a particular area.

But Toronto and Ottawa, the two largest cities, have between them
_millions_ of recent immigrants, whether from other provinces (rumor
has it that there are more Newfies in TO than there are in the
province of Newfoundland), or from other countries. Indeed, in
Toronto, people from English backgrounds are a minority.

They are _not_, by and large, refugees from the American Revolution,
but rather are refugees from the economic troubles of Italy in the
1950s, from the Chinese Cultural Revolution, and economic migrants
from various parts of Asia and the Indian subcontinent.
--
"cbbrowne","@","ntlug.org"
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/oses.html

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
> They are _not_, by and large, refugees from the American Revolution,

Very true numerically. The same sort of things can be said
of many places, London today or New York City pre-WW2.

However, every place has a dominant culture that persists over long
periods of time. It's character, if you will. Most immigrants
try hard to fit in. Only when they are encouraged to form their
own subcommunities or arrive in large numbers (Vancouver in the
1990s) is the dominant culture rejected.

For Ontario, that culture is UEL. Look at politicians and media.
Immigrants are represented especially after they've assimilated.

-- Robert
!