Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help SCSI HDD error or what else?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Hardware
  • SCSI
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in CPUs
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2004 5:07:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Can some kind soul inform me what might be wrong:

Machine: 4-year-old machine running still running Red Hat 6.2
Dual Pentium III 550 MHz on IWill DBD-100 motherboard, 512MB ECC PC100 SDRAM
with one PCI slot inoperative (some kind of hardware error).
Adaptec 2940UW (AIC-7881U) SCSI controller, Matrox Millennium II PCI 8MB
Dual -port Ethernet NIC using DEC's 21152 PCI bridge and 2x DEC 21142 Tulip
QUANTUM Atlas 36GB U2W SCSI (7200 rpm) at sda
COMPAQ BD01864544 18GB UW SCSI (10000 rpm) at sdb
Verteks CD40XI 40x CD-ROM (using ide-scsi) at hda
Lite-On LTR-52327S 52x/32x/52x CD-RW (using ide-scsi) at hdd

Symptoms: intermittent SCSI errors starting on Friday morning (two days ago).
At first it was so bad that I could not reboot, I then inserted a new HDD and
try to repeat the operations of the Hard-Disk-Upgrade HOWTO, getting lots of
errors like the following. Can someone tell me if I am having trouble with
my SCSI hard drives or not (I ran Adaptec's verify on the two drives, but I
cannot vouch for either HDD being really fully functional).

scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 922948, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun
0 Write (10) 00 00 a6 ad f4 00 00 80 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 922953, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun
0 Read (10) 00 01 f2 a2 c6 00 00 08 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 922951, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun
0 Write (10) 00 00 a6 ae 74 00 00 80 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 922954, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun
0 Write (10) 00 00 a6 ae f4 00 00 80 00
(scsi0:0:2:0) SCSISIGI 0xf6, SEQADDR 0x15d, SSTAT0 0x7, SSTAT1 0x17
(scsi0:0:2:0) SG_CACHEPTR 0x0, SSTAT2 0x0, STCNT 0x0
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 922954) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
(scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 40.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 8.
(scsi0:0:2:0) Synchronous at 40.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 7.
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 924350, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun
0 Write (10) 00 00 a6 ba 1c 00 00 80 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 924352, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun
0 Write (10) 00 01 22 61 fe 00 00 08 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 924353, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun
0 Write (10) 00 01 32 61 fe 00 00 08 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 924354, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun
0 Read (10) 00 01 46 63 0e 00 00 08 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 924355, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun
0 Write (10) 00 00 a6 ba 9c 00 00 80 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 924356, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun
0 Write (10) 00 00 a6 bb 1c 00 00 80 00
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 924352) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.

More about : scsi hdd error

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2004 5:25:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

In article <c6dor0$24tc$1@news.ntu.edu.tw>, <by@moscito.org> wrote:
>Can some kind soul inform me what might be wrong:
>Machine: 4-year-old machine running still running Red Hat 6.2

I know that this looks stupid, but the machine has been running fine for
a looooong time and there are some binary-only programs that does not run
on a more recent version of Redhat or other linux versions.

>Dual Pentium III 550 MHz on IWill DBD-100 motherboard, 512MB ECC PC100 SDRAM
>with one PCI slot inoperative (some kind of hardware error).
>Adaptec 2940UW (AIC-7881U) SCSI controller, Matrox Millennium II PCI 8MB
>Dual -port Ethernet NIC using DEC's 21152 PCI bridge and 2x DEC 21142 Tulip
>QUANTUM Atlas 36GB U2W SCSI (7200 rpm) at sda
>COMPAQ BD01864544 18GB UW SCSI (10000 rpm) at sdb
>Verteks CD40XI 40x CD-ROM (using ide-scsi) at hda
>Lite-On LTR-52327S 52x/32x/52x CD-RW (using ide-scsi) at hdd
>
>Symptoms: intermittent SCSI errors starting on Friday morning (two days ago).

The CD-ROM was recently replaced.

Since I installed the CD-ROMs, I also got errors like the following:
ide-scsi: hda: unsupported command in request queue (0)
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0
ide-scsi: hda: unsupported command in request queue (0)
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0
[repeated]

Can someone tell me what might be wrong with that ....
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2004 11:41:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

by@moscito.org wrote:
> In article <c6dor0$24tc$1@news.ntu.edu.tw>, <by@moscito.org> wrote:
>
>>Can some kind soul inform me what might be wrong:
>>Machine: 4-year-old machine running still running Red Hat 6.2
>
>
> I know that this looks stupid, but the machine has been running fine for
> a looooong time and there are some binary-only programs that does not run
> on a more recent version of Redhat or other linux versions.
>
>
>>Dual Pentium III 550 MHz on IWill DBD-100 motherboard, 512MB ECC PC100 SDRAM
>>with one PCI slot inoperative (some kind of hardware error).
>>Adaptec 2940UW (AIC-7881U) SCSI controller, Matrox Millennium II PCI 8MB
>>Dual -port Ethernet NIC using DEC's 21152 PCI bridge and 2x DEC 21142 Tulip
>>QUANTUM Atlas 36GB U2W SCSI (7200 rpm) at sda
>>COMPAQ BD01864544 18GB UW SCSI (10000 rpm) at sdb
>>Verteks CD40XI 40x CD-ROM (using ide-scsi) at hda
>>Lite-On LTR-52327S 52x/32x/52x CD-RW (using ide-scsi) at hdd
>>
>>Symptoms: intermittent SCSI errors starting on Friday morning (two days ago).
>
>
> The CD-ROM was recently replaced.
>
> Since I installed the CD-ROMs, I also got errors like the following:
> ide-scsi: hda: unsupported command in request queue (0)
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0
> ide-scsi: hda: unsupported command in request queue (0)
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0
> [repeated]
>
> Can someone tell me what might be wrong with that ....
>

ide-scsi is no longer required for the 2.6.x linux kernel. Remove it
from your boot parameters.

--

Nadeem M Nayeck [ m n n a y e c k @ i n t n e t . m u ]
Registered LU #290695
Key fingerprint : D8C3 DFA5 A2A8 CA60 50B9 9311 A346 612F 6EDD 68BC
!