JPEG now a patent violation?

I guess we are well on our way to making civil litigation one of the big
revenue generation streams in many company's business statements.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15513

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

A patent needs to be constantly renewed over its possible
life time, and that costs money. Typically, if a patent doesn't
bring in revenue from the start, a lot of people will not spend
the money to constantly renew, and the patent "dies".

Also, just because one has a patent, doesn't mean it is
automatically enforceable. The Patent Office doesn't guarantee
anything. The Patent Office doesn't defend the patent either.

The patent itself is only one "stake in the ground". When one
goes to court to defend a patent (another costly endeavor and
rarely done on a patent which doesn't hold much worth), one
really needs to be ready to prove a LOT of things.

"Yousuf Khan" <news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> I guess we are well on our way to making civil litigation one of the big
> revenue generation streams in many company's business statements.
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15513
>
> Yousuf Khan
>
> --
> Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
> Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

Think what this planet would look like if Archimedes patented his stuff,
Newton, Einstein, Poincare...
You could fall of a chair and the patent police wouldn't let you hit the
ground until you payed your dues to Newton and all the damaged parties.
Who claims the right to 2+2?
Did they spend less time of their life inventing the wheel or volume
displacement than today (they lived shorter too)?

rush

Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote :

> Trade marks are treated that way. If the owner makes no effort to
> enforce
> their trademark, they lose the rights to it.

are you sure ? Mandrake has anoter view on this subject after they got
sued.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/

Stacey

RusH wrote:

> Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote :
>

>> Trade marks are treated that way. If the owner makes no effort to
>> enforce
>> their trademark, they lose the rights to it.
>
> are you sure ? Mandrake has anoter view on this subject after they got
> sued.

Well the courts don't have to follow the rules...

BTW has anyone else ever tried to use that trademark before and not had it
enforced?

--

Stacey

On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:53:10 GMT) it happened "Yousuf Khan"
<news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
<GbYic.8513$swh.625@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>:

>I guess we are well on our way to making civil litigation one of the big
>revenue generation streams in many company's business statements.
>
>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15513
>
> Yousuf Khan
Has anyone patented the word 'patent' yet?

In article <408D1D37.B14046E3@Early.com>, NoSpamForWalt@Early.com
says...

Hi Walt!

> A patent needs to be constantly renewed over its possible
> life time, and that costs money. Typically, if a patent doesn't
> bring in revenue from the start, a lot of people will not spend
> the money to constantly renew, and the patent "dies".

Sure, but that's a relatively recent thing. Did you note the
"legal status" of this particular patent? It seems there is some
jockeying for profit going on here.

> Also, just because one has a patent, doesn't mean it is
> automatically enforceable. The Patent Office doesn't guarantee
> anything. The Patent Office doesn't defend the patent either.

Of course not. Only the courts can determine ownership. That's
sorta our entire legal system. Asking the PTO do do anything
different is rather odd.

> The patent itself is only one "stake in the ground". When one
> goes to court to defend a patent (another costly endeavor and
> rarely done on a patent which doesn't hold much worth), one
> really needs to be ready to prove a LOT of things.

No issues here. One has to line up all sorts of ducks, with the
full knowledge that the other guy is loading his duck-gun (see:
SCO vs. IBM).

Again, the only question is how stupid a Jury can be. So far,
we've seen that they can be pretty damned stupid.

--
Keith

===============================

In article <c6k44a$2nee$1@news.wplus.net>,
pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com says...
> On a sunny day (Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:53:10 GMT) it happened "Yousuf Khan"
> <news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
> <GbYic.8513$swh.625@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>:
>
> >I guess we are well on our way to making civil litigation one of the big
> >revenue generation streams in many company's business statements.
> >
> >http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15513
> >
> > Yousuf Khan
> Has anyone patented the word 'patent' yet?

Pretty tough to do, since an expression cannot be patented, and a
word cannot even be copyrighted. ...nice try though.

--
Keith

rush

KR Williams <krw@att.biz> wrote :

> and a
> word cannot even be copyrighted. ...nice try though.

again .. Lindows ? :)
There isnt a thing that cannot be patented !

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/

Are you sure that "Lindows" is protected by a copyright,
and not as a trade mark????

RusH wrote:

> KR Williams <krw@att.biz> wrote :
>
> > and a
> > word cannot even be copyrighted. ...nice try though.
>
> again .. Lindows ? :)

Stacey

Walt wrote:

> Are you sure that "Lindows" is protected by a copyright,
> and not as a trade mark????

You don't know what is going on with "linodows"? MS is claiming to own the
word "windows" and that lindows is too close and forced them (by multiple
world wide lawsuits) to not use it anymore.

http://www.linspire.com/lindows_michaelsminutes_archives.php?id=112
--

Stacey

In article <Xns94D91D91511CRusHcomputersystems@193.110.122.80>,
rush@pulse.pdi.net says...
> KR Williams <krw@att.biz> wrote :
>
> > and a
> > word cannot even be copyrighted. ...nice try though.
>
> again .. Lindows ? :)

Lindows isn't an English word. It's made up.

> There isnt a thing that cannot be patented !

Utter bullshit.

--
Keith

Latest posts