GTA on the PC control(ler)s

Ok, I kinda backed into the GTA series. The first real contact I had
with it was VC on the PC. I didn't own a PS(2), and had no real
intention of getting one when I had the supreme gaming arrangement
sitting here under my desk. I was vaguely aware that GTA existed, but
didn't really have it float to my consciousness until PC Gamer did an
article on the release of Vice City. Normally I don't much care for 3rd
person games, but it looked good enough that (with a friend's
reccomendation) I decided to go for it.

Man, what an idiot I was to have waited so bloody long.

Long story short, I played VC and III on the PC and enjoyed the hell out
of them. Then when San Andreas was announced and a firm date was
established I went down and got a PS2 (much to the delight of my
children) because I didn't want to wait the 6 or more months for it to
come out on the PC. Naturally I picked up the GTA double pack for it and
wound up playing all of VC and some of III over again on the PS2.

I don't want to spark a debate or flame war, but there are advantages and
disadvantages in both versions. The graphics (naturally) are far far
superior on the PC. Totally understandable since your television is
limited to 640x480 resolution maximum, and has a dot pitch that would
make any PC gamer's eye twitch in pain. Even HD tv (as I understand it
anyway) only doubles that resolution at max, and I don't think even does
that.

On the PS2's side is the analog controls. I didn't even realize that the
buttons were analog too until I read it somewhere and found out that I
didn't have to control my speed with pulses of maximum acceleration.
Mind you I don't wind up using that feature much. Personally I like the
D-pad for steering, I can't use the stick well enough to get the fine
corrections that would bring out its advantage.

Where that stick shines, however, is in controlling choppers. I had
always done the little twitchy thing of tapping the button at a certain
rhythm (or however the hell you spell that) to get the forward speed I
wanted. On the ps2 I didn't have to have that jerkiness.

Now, don't think I like the whole control scheme of the ps2 better, just
the analog nature of them. I think that all of the 3d GTA games play
vastly better in nearly any situation with a keyboard and mouse combo. I
look forward to breezing through some of the more impossible missions
with access to a mouse/keyboard control set up. (the motorcycle through
the viaducts with big smoke? at least the first of Zero's missions (since
that is as far as I have gotten on those)). Trying to make your
character do any truly precise movements on the ps2 requires a dexterity
I don't naturally posess or a lot more time than the game is willing to
allow you. The best example I have is the hidden package in VC that is
on the end of the beam at Avery's construction site. On the PC that was
total cake, I didn't even think about it being tricky let alone
difficult. On the ps2 it took me at least a half hour to finally get the
damn thing.

It's the lack of an absolute direction control. There is no way to make
no-name(tommy?)/Tommy/CJ go *forward*. They only go forward *relative*
to the camera position. If the camera position changes, so does the
direction you have to push the stick to get them to go "forward." With
the mouse, you have that camera and all the turning capability in your
hand.

Anyway, I want to keep the advantages of both. Personally I would have
loved it if R* had put in support for a keyboard and mouse into the ps2
version of SA. The machine supports use of them, I wouldn't think it
would have been that difficult. I want to find a way to use a ps2 like
controller for at least the flying on San Andreas PC.

My problem is this, I have some ps2 controllers, and an adapter thing
that is supposed to allow you to use them on the PC, but it isn't working
right in Vice City. None of the buttons work (though I might be able to
fix that with some control redefinition), and the stick doesn't seem to
have any analogness to it. I get in a chopper and push forward and it
dives just like I were using the ON/OFF keyboard controls, forcing me
back into the jerkyness again. I do NOT want to try to pass flight
school with controls like that! I already destroyed a controller because
of flight school on the ps2, I can't imagine how pissed off the PC
version would make me with non-analog controls.

What controls/controllers do you all use for VC on the PC? Do you have a
particular game pad that works nicely? Would a joystick work? Does VC
even support analog controls on the PC?

> What controls/controllers do you all use for VC on the PC? Do you have a
> particular game pad that works nicely? Would a joystick work? Does VC
> even support analog controls on the PC?

Heh...I actually use a PS2<->USB converter and use the PS2 controller.
It works 100% AFAIK, I didn't notice any difference compared to the PS2
gameplay. Not sure about the analogueness of the sticks though, the
analogue sticks are not very good at subtle movements, I don't think
it's you. If you push it only slightly, nothing happens. Push it some
more, and then suddenly it kicks into action and moves nearly all the
way! I like the XBOX sticks better.. this was a nightmare on the first
Zero mission (shooting the little planes) for me.. it wouldn't surprise
me if it's a peace of cake on the PC with mouse control!

I agree the relative (from the camera viewpoint) movement can be a bitch
at times. Especially during a difficult mission where you have to run
away quickly, and you run into a corner *groan*. But in general, it
seems to work pretty well. Can't really relate this to other types in
other games though, I only play GTA ;)

Bram

Bram
then used against you.

Bram <dont@mailme.invalid> wrote in news:1113330670@dont.mailme.invalid:

>> What controls/controllers do you all use for VC on the PC? Do you
>> have a particular game pad that works nicely? Would a joystick
>> work? Does VC even support analog controls on the PC?
>
> Heh...I actually use a PS2<->USB converter and use the PS2 controller.
> It works 100% AFAIK, I didn't notice any difference compared to the
> PS2 gameplay. Not sure about the analogueness of the sticks though,

What converter are you using and where did you get it? I have "Super
Dual Box" that I had to really hunt down and I think I wound up ordering
it from Lik Sang since I couldn't find it anywhere else.

I did some more messing with the control definitions on VC-PC and got the
controller to work, but the sticks still don't really seem to work like
they do with the ps2. <shrug> I guess I will just have to live with it.
Flying a real plane in SA will be interesting though, maybe they will
have joystick support in the pc version of that one. Something,
*anything* to make flight school easier.

> ...this was a nightmare on the
> first Zero mission (shooting the little planes) for me.. it wouldn't
> surprise me if it's a peace of cake on the PC with mouse control!

I expect that first Zero mission to be total cake with the smooth aiming
of a mouse. I just couldn't get the crosshairs close enough to the
planes to get them dead fast enough. Using the mouse should make that
trivial.

> I agree the relative (from the camera viewpoint) movement can be a
> bitch at times. Especially during a difficult mission where you have
> to run away quickly, and you run into a corner *groan*. But in
> general, it seems to work pretty well. Can't really relate this to
> other types in other games though, I only play GTA ;)

I *LOATHE* the relative to the camera movement. That alone is why I
don't play the ps2 much. I have done GTA III-SA and a limited few other
games and that's it. I try renting them at blockbuster every now and
again but I get so sick of being unable to move the character where I
want it to go that I just wind up throwing things. I realy wish there
were some other alternative that would get "in vogue" with ps2 game
designers. I don't mind the perspective but the movement should be
relative to the direction that the avatar is facing not where the camera
is pointed. When I push the stick forward it should walk whatever I am
controlling in the direction it is facing. Or at least start giving us
an option to lock the camera so those of us that hate it can work around
it. <sigh>

Cyrus

In article <Xns9636907C8D6A5nospamnet@216.196.97.138>,
Azerik <no@spam.net> wrote:

> I *LOATHE* the relative to the camera movement. That alone is why I
> don't play the ps2 much. I have done GTA III-SA and a limited few other
> games and that's it. I try renting them at blockbuster every now and
> again but I get so sick of being unable to move the character where I
> want it to go that I just wind up throwing things. I realy wish there
> were some other alternative that would get "in vogue" with ps2 game
> designers. I don't mind the perspective but the movement should be
> relative to the direction that the avatar is facing not where the camera
> is pointed. When I push the stick forward it should walk whatever I am
> controlling in the direction it is facing. Or at least start giving us
> an option to lock the camera so those of us that hate it can work around
> it. <sigh>

If you hold L1 when you're out of car, it will bring up the info in the
bottom left corner. As well as centering the camera behind CJ in SA,
don't remember of any GTA games before. Sometimes makes it easier when
trying to do precise movements. As well as in car, the camera is always
in a weird position when I get into a car and need to get away quickly.
So tapping R2+L2 centers the camera behind car.

I agree that the camera/character movement is kinda weird. But such is
any game, its a matter of just getting acclimated if you enjoy the game.

hth,

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

> What converter are you using and where did you get it? I have "Super
> Dual Box" that I had to really hunt down and I think I wound up ordering
> it from Lik Sang since I couldn't find it anywhere else.

Mine's a "Smart Joy Emulater Adapter USB Model" (typo included!). I
bought it at a computer fair a few years ago (I think when GTA3 came out
for PC :).

> Flying a real plane in SA will be interesting though, maybe they will
> have joystick support in the pc version of that one. Something,
> *anything* to make flight school easier.

As with the Zero mission, subtle controls are crucial in these missions.
If you 'panic' and over-correct by pushing the stick too hard, the plane
goes nuts. A decent analogue joystick definitely would work here. I
sincerely hope they'll get decent analogue controls on the next
controller. Maybe something gyroscopic?

> > ...this was a nightmare on the
> > first Zero mission (shooting the little planes) for me.. it wouldn't
> > surprise me if it's a peace of cake on the PC with mouse control!
>
> I expect that first Zero mission to be total cake with the smooth aiming
> of a mouse. I just couldn't get the crosshairs close enough to the
> planes to get them dead fast enough. Using the mouse should make that
> trivial.

Yeah, that was a bitch. And the thing was that you had to hit them when
they were *small* and not fast moving to succeed. It cost me 30-40 tries
to get this one. But I totally aced the second mission; by that time I
got used to the controls (lost it again now though). How often did you
swear at Zero when he was whining up there on the roof? Killed him
several times to get rid of it *grin*

> I *LOATHE* the relative to the camera movement. That alone is why I
> don't play the ps2 much. I have done GTA III-SA and a limited few other
> games and that's it. I try renting them at blockbuster every now and
> again but I get so sick of being unable to move the character where I
> want it to go that I just wind up throwing things.

Heh. Yeah, it's a good test to see if that anger management course paid
off :) When you get pissed off, you start hammering the controls, your
character starts messing everything up, and *bam*. Did you ever try to
do ambulance mission 12 in GTA3 or VC? One time, I got to level 10 or
11 (no cheats) after about 40 sweaty minutes. I wanted to look at the map
to spot the next passenger, and accidentally pressed the 'exit' button.
I can't tell you what that does to your temper, but I'm sure you can
imagine it quite well.. Controller survived though, they're surprisingly
tough!

> I realy wish there
> were some other alternative that would get "in vogue" with ps2 game
> designers. I don't mind the perspective but the movement should be
> relative to the direction that the avatar is facing not where the camera
> is pointed. When I push the stick forward it should walk whatever I am
> controlling in the direction it is facing. Or at least start giving us
> an option to lock the camera so those of us that hate it can work around
> it. <sigh>

I wonder why most games do it like this. I guess more options have been
tested, and this one won. Or the programmers were lazy and just did
whatever was easiest. Though it shouldn't be much of a difference..
even putting in both methods (follow camera/avatar) shouldn't be too
hard. Makes you wonder. Does anyone know of a well-playable 3d game
where the directions are relative from the character?

Bram
then used against you.

>> I *LOATHE* the relative to the camera movement. That alone is why I
>> don't play the ps2 much. I have done GTA III-SA and a limited few
>> other games and that's it. I try renting them at blockbuster every
>> now and again but I get so sick of being unable to move the
>> character where I want it to go that I just wind up throwing things.
>>
> Heh. Yeah, it's a good test to see if that anger management course
> paid off :) When you get pissed off, you start hammering the controls,
> your character starts messing everything up, and *bam*. Did you ever
> try to do ambulance mission 12 in GTA3 or VC? One time, I got to level
> 10 or 11 (no cheats) after about 40 sweaty minutes. I wanted to look
> at the map to spot the next passenger, and accidentally pressed the
> 'exit' button. I can't tell you what that does to your temper, but I'm
> sure you can imagine it quite well.. Controller survived though,
> they're surprisingly tough!

I was amazed at the effort it took to destroy the standard dual shock
that came with the console. Sometime when my limit had been totally
exceeded during flight school I just yanked it out of the console and
held on by the cord and hammered it into the floor five or six times
before it finally broke.

I hated the ambulance missions, I would do the same damn thing, I would
accidentally hit the exit button or the patient would do a suicidal
superman leap in front of the ambulance. When I finally passed it I
thought I was done for, I totally hosed the first couple patients, got
into accidents and really banged up the vehicle. I just kept going to
get the practice, I was totally floored when the message popped up about
me passing, I had lost track of what mission I was on.

>> I realy wish there
>> were some other alternative that would get "in vogue" with ps2 game
>> designers. I don't mind the perspective but the movement should be
>> relative to the direction that the avatar is facing not where the
>> camera is pointed. When I push the stick forward it should walk
>> whatever I am controlling in the direction it is facing. Or at
>> least start giving us an option to lock the camera so those of us
>> that hate it can work around it. <sigh>
>
> I wonder why most games do it like this. I guess more options have
> been tested, and this one won. Or the programmers were lazy and just
> did whatever was easiest. Though it shouldn't be much of a
> difference.. even putting in both methods (follow camera/avatar)
> shouldn't be too hard. Makes you wonder. Does anyone know of a
> well-playable 3d game where the directions are relative from the
> character?

What surprises me is that more games don't support a mouse/keyboard
option, the USB ports are right there and it seems to me that there is a
browser option for the ps2 that uses them so it could be done. For games
like this it would be nice to have that option.

I was somewhat taken aback when I played VC on the ps2 for the first
time. All through it on the pc I had relied on the mini-gun as my heavy
weapon and my "go to" for destroying vehicles really fast. It made some
missions probably too easy. I tried using it on the ps2 and without the
precision aiming offered by the mouse I couldn't hit diddley with it.

It was fun to see the different way I had to do missions between the ps2
and the pc, what works on one doesn't work on the other all the time. It
will give a whole fresh perspective to San Andreas to try it out on the
PC. I will also make the effort to pass the fire truck missions and get
my fireproofness to simplify the final mission this time. Man that was a
pain with the imprecise movement that the ps2 controls give. I'm glad I
got the console and I am totally happy with SA, but I am looking forward
to it on the pc.

Azerik schrieb:

> I don't want to spark a debate or flame war, but there are advantages and
> disadvantages in both versions. The graphics (naturally) are far far
> superior on the PC. Totally understandable since your television is
> limited to 640x480 resolution maximum, and has a dot pitch that would
> make any PC gamer's eye twitch in pain. Even HD tv (as I understand it
> anyway) only doubles that resolution at max, and I don't think even does
> that.

Try an RGB- or S-Video-Cable. It really makes a difference
compared to FBAS. =:)

CU, Venty

> I was somewhat taken aback when I played VC on the ps2 for the first
> time. All through it on the pc I had relied on the mini-gun as my heavy
> weapon and my "go to" for destroying vehicles really fast. It made some
> missions probably too easy. I tried using it on the ps2 and without the
> precision aiming offered by the mouse I couldn't hit diddley with it.

Heh, that's so true. I never used the mini-gun on the PS2 except for
really big targets.

> It was fun to see the different way I had to do missions between the ps2
> and the pc, what works on one doesn't work on the other all the time. It
> will give a whole fresh perspective to San Andreas to try it out on the
> PC. I will also make the effort to pass the fire truck missions and get
> my fireproofness to simplify the final mission this time. Man that was a
> pain with the imprecise movement that the ps2 controls give.

I passed that one the first time with a bit of luck. I extinguished
everything in my path for the first 2 floors, then time was running out
(I didn't even notice the timer, whoops). At that point (at full
armour/health), I just ran down like crazy, ignored everyone and the
fire, and just as I was on the last floor, time was up. I saw the whole
building explode and was ready to reload, but suddenly I was standing
outside with a little bit of life left, and got to continue! That was
weird..I guess you only need to be on the last floor to be able to pass.
It's a bit like the way you passed the ambulance mission. When you have
a "don't care" attitude and just plow along carelessly, you often have
quite a good chance of passing a mission.

Bram
--
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Martin Ebnoether <martin.ebnoether@web.de> wrote:
> Azerik schrieb:

>> I don't want to spark a debate or flame war, but there are advantages and
>> disadvantages in both versions. The graphics (naturally) are far far
>> superior on the PC. Totally understandable since your television is
>> limited to 640x480 resolution maximum, and has a dot pitch that would
>> make any PC gamer's eye twitch in pain. Even HD tv (as I understand it
>> anyway) only doubles that resolution at max, and I don't think even does
>> that.

> Try an RGB- or S-Video-Cable. It really makes a difference
> compared to FBAS. =:)

> CU, Venty

That's a bit like putting icing on a turd. :p

Brian wrote:

> That's a bit like putting icing on a turd. :p

Ahhhh.......I see that you regularly shop at Morrisons then!
;-)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?