P4 2.8 thermal compund question

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Hi,
I've recently had to remove the heatsink from my p4 and take the processor
out in order to get a replacement for a faulty motherboard. Do I need to
clean the processor / heatsink and apply any thermal paste etc or should it
be fine with the original stuff that's still on there. Any paste / cleaner
recommendations welcomed if thought necessary!

I don't plan any overclocking.

Thanks

Max
4 answers Last reply
More about thermal compund question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    "Max Coppin" <maxcoppin@-no-spam-please-btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've recently had to remove the heatsink from my p4 and take the processor
    > out in order to get a replacement for a faulty motherboard. Do I need to
    > clean the processor / heatsink and apply any thermal paste etc or should
    it
    > be fine with the original stuff that's still on there. Any paste /
    cleaner
    > recommendations welcomed if thought necessary!

    Always new!

    Use the edge of a credit card to scrape off any gunk and then alcohol to
    finish the process.

    I find that alcohol doesn't do a great job personally, so I usually use a
    touch of paint thinner to clean up the CPU & sink and then clean that with
    alcohol.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "Max Coppin" <maxcoppin@-no-spam-please-btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I've recently had to remove the heatsink from my p4 and take the
    processor
    > > out in order to get a replacement for a faulty motherboard. Do I need
    > > clean the processor / heatsink and apply any thermal paste etc or should
    > it
    > > be fine with the original stuff that's still on there. Any paste /
    > cleaner
    > > recommendations welcomed if thought necessary!
    >
    > Always new!
    >
    > Use the edge of a credit card to scrape off any gunk and then alcohol to
    > finish the process.
    >
    > I find that alcohol doesn't do a great job personally, so I usually use a
    > touch of paint thinner to clean up the CPU & sink and then clean that with
    > alcohol.

    I prefer a nice pilsner or chianti to clean mine.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    Intel will recplace ypur colling system. I thins this info could be checked
    in www.intel.com

    Silva
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    "JTS" <5er@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<EvOdnVkgzYMo5AzdRVn-jw@giganews.com>...
    > "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Max Coppin" <maxcoppin@-no-spam-please-btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > > [...]Do I need
    > > > clean the processor / heatsink and apply any thermal paste etc or should
    > it
    > > > be fine with the original stuff that's still on there. Any paste /
    > cleaner
    > > > recommendations welcomed if thought necessary!
    [...]
    > > I find that alcohol doesn't do a great job personally, so I usually use a
    > > touch of paint thinner to clean up the CPU & sink and then clean that with
    > > alcohol.
    >
    > I prefer a nice pilsner or chianti to clean mine.

    Just unscrew it and toss it in the dish washer. As long as you dry it
    thoroughly, dish washing your motherboard can do wonders. Also helps
    to clean off all the accumulated dust. Use Air dry only.

CPUs Hardware Overclocking Heatsinks