Dimm expansion cards

I have a Dell motherboard with 4 184-pin DIMM slots which are
currently populated. I also have about 4 more 184-pin DIMMs.

Is anyone aware of an expansion card to add more DIMM sockets?

Alternatively, anyone want to through out some suggestions on how to
use the extra memory? Its probably just going to rot in my desk
drawer unless I can come up with a way to plug it into the computer.

Dzdncnfzd wrote:

> I have a Dell motherboard with 4 184-pin DIMM slots which are
> currently populated. I also have about 4 more 184-pin DIMMs.
>
> Is anyone aware of an expansion card to add more DIMM sockets?
>
> Alternatively, anyone want to through out some suggestions on how to
> use the extra memory? Its probably just going to rot in my desk
> drawer unless I can come up with a way to plug it into the computer.

Sure. Sell them on ebay and buy higher density memory.

-WD

Will Dormann <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message news:<HETkc.45906$Vp5.20860@fe2.columbus.rr.com>...
> Dzdncnfzd wrote:
> > Is anyone aware of an expansion card to add more DIMM sockets?

> Sure. Sell them on ebay and buy higher density memory.

Can't. My employer owns the chips, so either I return them
or think of a use for them. 2 gig of RAM, so I'd hate to give it up.

On 1 May 2004 13:16:41 -0700, user_49@hotmail.com (Dzdncnfzd) wrote:
>I have a Dell motherboard with 4 184-pin DIMM slots which are
>currently populated. I also have about 4 more 184-pin DIMMs.
>
>Is anyone aware of an expansion card to add more DIMM sockets?
>
>Alternatively, anyone want to through out some suggestions on how to
>use the extra memory? Its probably just going to rot in my desk
>drawer unless I can come up with a way to plug it into the computer.

Unless the motherboard was specifically designed to accept a custom
expansion slot (a few high-end workstation and server boards are),
you're SOL.

Unfortunately the electrical characteristics of memory controllers
just make expansion cards that plug into the DIMM sockets totally
impossible these days. Even getting 4 DIMMs to work on can be
somewhat tricky under many situations (most low-end boards you'll see
only have 2 DIMM slots). It would also be totally pointless to put
memory in a PCI expansion cards, since the PCI bus tops out at 133MB/s
in most current systems, while a single DIMM of current memory gives
you 3.2GB/s of memory bandwidth.

In short, put the highest density memory in and go with that. With
the other sticks, either find another machine to drop them in, return
them or sell them, because they aren't going to work in this system.

Tony Hill