what is the difference between SDRAM and DDRAM of APACER?

We have a server with following spec.:
System Information report written at: 2004/05/05 12:20:35 ب.
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Version 5.0.2195 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SERVER
System Manufacturer To be Filled
System Model To be Filled
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~852 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~852 Mhz
BIOS Version 01/15/99
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\System32
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Locale United States
User Name METRO\Administrator
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 261,680 KB
Available Physical Memory 110,776 KB
Total Virtual Memory 895,104 KB
Available Virtual Memory 595,924 KB
Page File Space 633,424 KB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

System: Microsoft Windows 2000 5.00.2195
Computer: x86 Family Model 8 Stepping 6 AT/AT Compatible
261,680 KB RAM

Dual CPU: Intel Pentium 3, 850 Mhzx2
Intel Original fan, 256 Kb cache
Mother board: Super Micro P6DBE (Dual CPU)
SDRAM: 256 Mb APACER (Life Time arranty)
SVGA: 8 Mb, AGP TVout SIS

Now we want to upgrade our RAM from 256 Kb to 512 Kb or 1Gb by adding
another 256 Kb or exchanging it with a new 512 Kb, but the dealer says
SDRAM are the old one and we can't find them in the market.
Although I know that, computer components get old very soon but I
think the dealer tries to enforce his own idea for more sale.
My questions:
1- I would like to know what is the difference between SDRAM and DDRAM
and aren't they compatible?
2- With the above-mentioned system, what is the best solution to
upgrade RAM from 256 to 512 or 1024?
3- What any other brand of SDRAM or DDRAM could be compatible with
present motherboard for exchange? Dealer blames if we cant find an
APACER SDRAM then we should change mother board and CPU as well, which
means that we have to throw away present computer!?.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
TIA Rasoul Khoshravan Azar

On 5 May 2004 01:00:33 -0700, rasoulazar@hotmail.com (Rasoul Khohravan
Azar) wrote:

>We have a server with following spec.:
>System Information report written at: 2004/05/05 12:20:35 ب.
>[System Summary]
>
>Item Value
>OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
>Version 5.0.2195 Build 2195
>OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
>System Name SERVER
>System Manufacturer To be Filled
>System Model To be Filled
>System Type X86-based PC
>Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~852 Mhz
>Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~852 Mhz
>BIOS Version 01/15/99
>Windows Directory C:\WINNT
>System Directory C:\WINNT\System32
>Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
>Locale United States
>User Name METRO\Administrator
>Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
>Total Physical Memory 261,680 KB
>Available Physical Memory 110,776 KB
>Total Virtual Memory 895,104 KB
>Available Virtual Memory 595,924 KB
>Page File Space 633,424 KB
>Page File C:\pagefile.sys
>
>System: Microsoft Windows 2000 5.00.2195
>Computer: x86 Family Model 8 Stepping 6 AT/AT Compatible
>261,680 KB RAM
>
>Dual CPU: Intel Pentium 3, 850 Mhzx2
>Intel Original fan, 256 Kb cache
>Mother board: Super Micro P6DBE (Dual CPU)
>SDRAM: 256 Mb APACER (Life Time arranty)
>SVGA: 8 Mb, AGP TVout SIS
>
>Now we want to upgrade our RAM from 256 Kb to 512 Kb or 1Gb by adding
>another 256 Kb or exchanging it with a new 512 Kb, but the dealer says
>SDRAM are the old one and we can't find them in the market.
>Although I know that, computer components get old very soon but I
>think the dealer tries to enforce his own idea for more sale.
>My questions:
>1- I would like to know what is the difference between SDRAM and DDRAM
>and aren't they compatible?

No. They don't even physically fit. They both come on modules called
DIMMs or smaller modules called SIMMs, but the physical configuration
of the DDR DIMM is different to prevent people from doing what you're
considering. Even if you could physically cram a DDR module into a
SDRAM slot, the connectors wouldn't match up, nor would the actual
electronic requirements. The module could do nothing, or it could
fry. It definitely wouldn't work, even if you managed to force it in
-- which you can't without breaking stuff.

>2- With the above-mentioned system, what is the best solution to
>upgrade RAM from 256 to 512 or 1024?

Depends on what you want out of the system. For most home users,
512megs is the current sweet spot. If you do any sort of memory
intensive stuff like video or photo editing, where you have to load a
lot of junk into memory all at once, you might consider 1024megs. At
this point, a full GiB is a bit much though

>3- What any other brand of SDRAM or DDRAM could be compatible with
>present motherboard for exchange? Dealer blames if we cant find an
>APACER SDRAM then we should change mother board and CPU as well, which
>means that we have to throw away present computer!?.

As the motherboard accepts SDRAM modules, and as it's a P3, it's
likely DIMMs. I don't think you need to get that specific brand,
as the modules should be interchangeable, provided you get the right
type. Either PC-100 or PC-133. Those should still be fairly easy to
obtain. If you can't find APACER brand, there are other brands
available, and even generic might be ok.

Your dealer may indeed not stock older types of RAM. It may not make
economic sense for it, however, I suggest you check around at other
shops. It shouldn't be too hard to find a shop that stocks older RAM
types, you just need to expand your horizons beyond one dealer.

MCheu

Azar) wrote:

>We have a server with following spec.:
>System Information report written at: 2004/05/05 12:20:35 ب.
>[System Summary]
>
>Item Value
>OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
>Version 5.0.2195 Build 2195
>OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
>System Name SERVER
>System Manufacturer To be Filled
>System Model To be Filled
>System Type X86-based PC
>Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~852 Mhz
>Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~852 Mhz
>BIOS Version 01/15/99
>Windows Directory C:\WINNT
>System Directory C:\WINNT\System32
>Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
>Locale United States
>User Name METRO\Administrator
>Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
>Total Physical Memory 261,680 KB
>Available Physical Memory 110,776 KB
>Total Virtual Memory 895,104 KB
>Available Virtual Memory 595,924 KB
>Page File Space 633,424 KB
>Page File C:\pagefile.sys
>
>System: Microsoft Windows 2000 5.00.2195
>Computer: x86 Family Model 8 Stepping 6 AT/AT Compatible
>261,680 KB RAM
>
>Dual CPU: Intel Pentium 3, 850 Mhzx2
>Intel Original fan, 256 Kb cache
>Mother board: Super Micro P6DBE (Dual CPU)
>SDRAM: 256 Mb APACER (Life Time arranty)
>SVGA: 8 Mb, AGP TVout SIS
>
>Now we want to upgrade our RAM from 256 Kb to 512 Kb or 1Gb by adding
>another 256 Kb or exchanging it with a new 512 Kb, but the dealer says
>SDRAM are the old one and we can't find them in the market.

Yes you can find them quite easily in most places and on-line vendors. It
would help if you told where you are located.

>Although I know that, computer components get old very soon but I
>think the dealer tries to enforce his own idea for more sale.
>My questions:
>1- I would like to know what is the difference between SDRAM and DDRAM
>and aren't they compatible?

The DIMMs have a different pin count and clocking interface.

>2- With the above-mentioned system, what is the best solution to
>upgrade RAM from 256 to 512 or 1024?

You need to look inside the system, find out how many memory slots the mbrd
has and how many are free. You also want to know if the current memory
modules are ECC, registered.

>3- What any other brand of SDRAM or DDRAM could be compatible with
>present motherboard for exchange? Dealer blames if we cant find an
>APACER SDRAM then we should change mother board and CPU as well, which
>means that we have to throw away present computer!?.

Often different brands of memory are compatible but there's no guarantee.
Easiest thing is to get the name brand of the system or the mbrd and go to
www.crucial.com and plug in the details.

Rgds, George Macdonald