activating Startac--no way!

Last response: in Network Providers
July 11, 2005 11:32:44 PM

When attempting to activate a replacement startac (my older phone was
dropped and not repairable) I was told by Verizon that it could no longer be
activated due to "FCC" rules regarding the updated 911 rules...what
gives--is this true? I can't believe that all the great startacs are now
completely useless!

Terry

More about : activating startac

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 11:32:45 PM

baun-godby Wrote:
> When attempting to activate a replacement startac (my older phone was
> dropped and not repairable) I was told by Verizon that it could no
> longer be
> activated due to "FCC" rules regarding the updated 911 rules...what
> gives--is this true? I can't believe that all the great startacs are
> now
> completely useless!
>
> Terry

The StarTac does not support 911/GPS positioning. In english, it
doesn't have a location transmitter in it so emergency services knows
where you are when you call 911. Verizon now requires that all new
activations/ESN swaps have the capacity to use 911/GPS.

--
cdawg
July 11, 2005 11:32:45 PM

I know for a fact that they are still being used, my boss has one. Do it
yourself through the internet dont bother with them, granted that they may not
be able to seel you a new one or a replacement but if the phone is working it
is grandfathered, and it can be used. It is only for brand new phones.

"baun-godby" <baun-godby@insightbb.com> wrote:
>When attempting to activate a replacement startac (my older phone was
>dropped and not repairable) I was told by Verizon that it could no longer be
>activated due to "FCC" rules regarding the updated 911 rules...what
>gives--is this true? I can't believe that all the great startacs are now
>completely useless!
>
>Terry

July 12, 2005 12:06:18 AM

"baun-godby" <baun-godby@insightbb.com> wrote in

> When attempting to activate a replacement startac (my older phone was
> dropped and not repairable) I was told by Verizon that it could no
> longer be activated due to "FCC" rules regarding the updated 911
> rules...what gives--is this true? I can't believe that all the great
> startacs are now completely useless!
>
> Terry

Bullshit. If you ever had AMPS service with Verizon, FCC says you may
STILL buy AMPS service until it is terminated. I got fed this line of BS
about activating a 3W bagphone on Verizon once. I pointed out the FCC
requirement and got service, again.

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844
Email: help@continentalwarranty.com
Read about them here:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp?id=92243&view=prin...
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:21:26 AM

I activated one Saturday night. No problem.

"baun-godby" <baun-godby@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> When attempting to activate a replacement startac (my older phone was
> dropped and not repairable) I was told by Verizon that it could no longer
> be
> activated due to "FCC" rules regarding the updated 911 rules...what
> gives--is this true? I can't believe that all the great startacs are now
> completely useless!
>
> Terry

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 12:34:22 AM

Larry wrote:
> "baun-godby" <baun-godby@insightbb.com> wrote in
>

> Bullshit. If you ever had AMPS service with Verizon, FCC says you may
> STILL buy AMPS service until it is terminated. I got fed this line of BS
> about activating a 3W bagphone on Verizon once. I pointed out the FCC
> requirement and got service, again.

Larry, cut the stupid rant, this isn't about AMPS. The FCC is requiring all
phones currently activated to be GPS capable, and none of the StarTACs were,
and that's why they can't be activated now. Ain't Verizon's fault. Blame the
FCC.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:52:09 AM

I tried activating through the internet--it won't work, and tells me I must
contact Verizon directly. even though I did activate another startac this
way about three months ago....
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:04:47 AM

baun-godby wrote:
> When attempting to activate a replacement startac (my older phone was
> dropped and not repairable) I was told by Verizon that it could no longer be
> activated due to "FCC" rules regarding the updated 911 rules...what
> gives--is this true? I can't believe that all the great startacs are now
> completely useless!

They are referring to the FCC requirement that a certain percentage of
phones in service by a certain date be capable of being located within a
specified tolerance if you dial 911, which for VZW, means that the phone
has aGPS (tower Assisted-GPS) hardware in it. StarTacs don't have this
hardware, and it is now VZW policy to not activate any non-aGPS phone.
As others will point out, there are still some loopholes that such
phones still can slip through, but I'm sure they will be tightening up
on this, since not meeting the percentage objectives will mean big $$$
fines for VZW.

I still have a StarTac in service; great phone. Bummer.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:27:25 AM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Larry wrote:
>> "baun-godby" <baun-godby@insightbb.com> wrote in
>>

>> Bullshit. If you ever had AMPS service with Verizon,
>> FCC says you may STILL buy AMPS service until it is
>> terminated. I got fed this line of BS about activating
>> a 3W bagphone on Verizon once. I pointed out the FCC
>> requirement and got service, again.
>
> Larry, cut the stupid rant, this isn't about AMPS. The
> FCC is requiring all phones currently activated to be GPS
> capable, and none of the StarTACs were, and that's why
> they can't be activated now. Ain't Verizon's fault. Blame
> the FCC.

o gees...

repeat 20 times over the next few days
{
They can't do that...
AMPS == BIG power...
Digital toy phones...
OnStar...
Emergency services...
They should try to do that to me...
They'll rip you off if you let them...
I made that guy eat that lemmon of a Skidoo.
}

You can take a rest now Larry, I've taken care
of everything.

-Quick
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:02:26 AM

On 2005-07-11, cdawg <cdawg.1s0umy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
> The StarTac does not support 911/GPS positioning. In english, it
> doesn't have a location transmitter in it so emergency services knows
> where you are when you call 911. Verizon now requires that all new
> activations/ESN swaps have the capacity to use 911/GPS.

Just a guess, but try doing the ESN swap online through verizonwireless
..com. It might go through, sinc you wont be dealing with a real person.

Of course, this is dependant that you already have service, not that
you're trying to get service with the phone.

--
Sick of USENET postwhores? Trolls? Flamers?
Read the Killfile FAQ for Newsgroups to learn

I think there is a problem with online activation. I have been trying to use
it for various phones since Saturday, and none of them would activate
without calling, including the new E815.

>I tried activating through the internet--it won't work, and tells me I must
> contact Verizon directly. even though I did activate another startac this
> way about three months ago....

July 16, 2005 1:34:47 PM

too shed a little light on all what some of you have brought up.

Yes it is required that all new cell phones include e911. Yes the FCC
requires that new phones activated on e911 capable systems include
e911. However phones that are active now that are not e911 capable do
not have to be disconnected. The reason why you can get your phone
actiavated anyways is there is nothing built into the system that
blocks the phone from being activated. Its just something that
employees are supposed to know but a lot do not. So one place may
activate it and another may not. You should be able to activate it
online as long as you do not have any current incompatible features or
are missing any required features.

THIS is why you can not actiavate a E815 online or any vcast phone when
you only have a normal phone because VCAST requires a feature called
premium network access if you dont have the vcast service and you must
delete national enhanced service if you do have vcast and no premium
network access. The online system is not capable of changing these
codes automatically. Therefore changing one group of phone to another
does not work. The groups would be 1xrtt phones/1xev phones/pda
phones/data cards/legacy phones Most people fall under 1xRTT alot of
the newer phones are 1xEV (vx8000/8100 samsung a890, mot e815, aud
8940). As far as the bag phone is concerned that technology does not
at all support e911 which is why you are definately allowed to activate
the phone as long as you can get someone willing to activate it for you
and as long as your willing to enter a contract 10+ years after bag
phones came out.

--
givmedew
August 15, 2012 8:25:41 PM