Linux-capable thin client

I'm trying to find a linux-capable fanless, diskless system:
- at least one USB2 port, but preferably more
- a DVI port capable of at least 1280x1024, but preferably
1920x1200
- a fast ethernet connection
- reasonably reliable
- reasonably low-cost, preferably below $200.
Sun's sun-ray terminal approximates these specs but seems like
a baited hook in that it only talks to Sun servers.

Tom Payne

On Fri, 7 May 2004 05:19:45 +0000 (UTC), thp@cs.ucr.edu wrote:
>I'm trying to find a linux-capable fanless, diskless system:
> - at least one USB2 port, but preferably more
> - a DVI port capable of at least 1280x1024, but preferably
> 1920x1200
> - a fast ethernet connection
> - reasonably reliable
> - reasonably low-cost, preferably below $200.
>Sun's sun-ray terminal approximates these specs but seems like
>a baited hook in that it only talks to Sun servers.

Just about any low power PC with a boot-on-lan card could manage this,
most of the magic is in the software.

If you're looking for pre-built deals, you might want to check out the
Neoware Capio:

http://www.neoware.com/products/capio/index.html

That seems to fit your bill pretty well. I don't think it has a DVI
port though, and only goes up to 1600x1200, but otherwise it meets
your specs.

HP also sells some thin clients. They only specify them to work with
WinCE, though I'd imagine that they can be made to work quite well in
Linux as well, just might take a bit of work. I don't think they
offer DVI video either though.

Tony Hill