Newbie: Denial of Service Attack against NAT router

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
July 6, 2004 12:15:19 AM

I've heard a lot about major corporate internet servers going down because
of DOS attacks. Can a NAT router be disabled in the same way ? TIA.
Steve
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 6, 2004 1:05:26 AM

"steve h." <nonsenseshedrick2@nonsensecfl.rr.com> wrote in

> I've heard a lot about major corporate internet servers going down
> because of DOS attacks. Can a NAT router be disabled in the same way ?
> TIA. Steve

A NAT router helps prevent DoS attacks by not forwarding unsolicited
requests to the network. Also, if a NAT router has SPI, then that as well
will prevent a DoS attack as I understand it.

If a Web server went down due to a DoS attack, then the server was being
exposed in the DMZ or port forwarding was being done from a router or FW
appliance to the Web server I would think.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 6, 2004 2:20:32 AM

"steve h." <nonsenseshedrick2@nonsensecfl.rr.com> wrote in

> I've heard a lot about major corporate internet servers going down
> because of DOS attacks. Can a NAT router be disabled in the same way ?
> TIA. Steve

Of course. Plenty of major website IP addresses are themselves NAT'd
addresses.

SysAdm
!