Newbie: Denial of Service Attack against NAT router

I've heard a lot about major corporate internet servers going down because
of DOS attacks. Can a NAT router be disabled in the same way ? TIA.
Steve
2 answers Last reply
More about newbie denial service attack router

    "steve h." <nonsenseshedrick2@nonsensecfl.rr.com> wrote in

    > I've heard a lot about major corporate internet servers going down
    > because of DOS attacks. Can a NAT router be disabled in the same way ?
    > TIA. Steve

    A NAT router helps prevent DoS attacks by not forwarding unsolicited
    requests to the network. Also, if a NAT router has SPI, then that as well
    will prevent a DoS attack as I understand it.

    If a Web server went down due to a DoS attack, then the server was being
    exposed in the DMZ or port forwarding was being done from a router or FW
    appliance to the Web server I would think.

    Duane :)

    "steve h." <nonsenseshedrick2@nonsensecfl.rr.com> wrote in

    > I've heard a lot about major corporate internet servers going down
    > because of DOS attacks. Can a NAT router be disabled in the same way ?
    > TIA. Steve

    Of course. Plenty of major website IP addresses are themselves NAT'd
    addresses.

    SysAdm

Firewalls Routers Security Networking