Solder vs Socket economics

Could the ram/cpu upgrade for pocket pcs be done through ram sockets like in
the
old pc days ?
Does the sdram pinout change with more Mbits per chip (within
same specs), are the economics really that bad for solder vs. socket, or
could one PPC model slip inside 200-700$ range ?

Sorry to post this question here, i've tried comp.arch.embedded but no one
gives a rat's ass about it.

On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:18:39 +0200, "flekso" <flekso@vip.hr> wrote:
>Could the ram/cpu upgrade for pocket pcs be done through ram sockets like in
>the old pc days ?

Probably not, or at least not easily.

>Does the sdram pinout change with more Mbits per chip (within
>same specs),

Sometimes.

> are the economics really that bad for solder vs. socket, or
>could one PPC model slip inside 200-700$ range ?

They might, but there would be a market of approximately 5 people in
the world... and 4 of them would want to run Linux on the thing
anyway! :>

Seriously though, for handheld systems, the cost vs. demand for
upgradable systems just doesn't work out at all. There is very little
demand while it would drive up costs all over the place. Obviously
the sockets themselves would add to the parts costs, but beyond that
sockets are harder to design around so they would drive up R&D and
validation costs. Plus there would probably be more failures caused
by someone sticking incompatible parts into the socket and/or breaking
the sockets while upgrading, so this would drive up support costs. In
short, lots of extra costs all around for no real benefit to 99%+ of
users.

>Sorry to post this question here, i've tried comp.arch.embedded but no one
>gives a rat's ass about it.

PocketPC's are only kinda-sorta embedded systems, and most usenet
characters are rather picky about which rat's asses they care about :>

-------------
Tony Hill

"Tony Hill" <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:18:39 +0200, "flekso" <flekso@vip.hr> wrote:
> >Could the ram/cpu upgrade for pocket pcs be done through ram sockets like
in
> >the old pc days ?
>
> Probably not, or at least not easily.
>
> >Does the sdram pinout change with more Mbits per chip (within
> >same specs),
>
> Sometimes.
>
> > are the economics really that bad for solder vs. socket, or
> >could one PPC model slip inside 200-700$ range ?
>
> They might, but there would be a market of approximately 5 people in
> the world... and 4 of them would want to run Linux on the thing
> anyway! :>
>
> Seriously though, for handheld systems, the cost vs. demand for
> upgradable systems just doesn't work out at all. There is very little
> demand while it would drive up costs all over the place. Obviously
> the sockets themselves would add to the parts costs, but beyond that
> sockets are harder to design around so they would drive up R&D and
> validation costs. Plus there would probably be more failures caused
> by someone sticking incompatible parts into the socket and/or breaking
> the sockets while upgrading, so this would drive up support costs. In
> short, lots of extra costs all around for no real benefit to 99%+ of
> users.
>
> >Sorry to post this question here, i've tried comp.arch.embedded but no
one
> >gives a rat's ass about it.
>
> PocketPC's are only kinda-sorta embedded systems, and most usenet
> characters are rather picky about which rat's asses they care about :>
>
> -------------
> Tony Hill

Consumer!=Lemming

"Tony Hill" <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:18:39 +0200, "flekso" <flekso@vip.hr> wrote:
> >Could the ram/cpu upgrade for pocket pcs be done through ram sockets like
in
> >the old pc days ?
>
> Probably not, or at least not easily.
>
> >Does the sdram pinout change with more Mbits per chip (within
> >same specs),
>
> Sometimes.
>
> > are the economics really that bad for solder vs. socket, or
> >could one PPC model slip inside 200-700$ range ?
>
> They might, but there would be a market of approximately 5 people in
> the world... and 4 of them would want to run Linux on the thing
> anyway! :>
>
> Seriously though, for handheld systems, the cost vs. demand for
> upgradable systems just doesn't work out at all. There is very little
> demand while it would drive up costs all over the place. Obviously
> the sockets themselves would add to the parts costs, but beyond that
> sockets are harder to design around so they would drive up R&D and
> validation costs. Plus there would probably be more failures caused
> by someone sticking incompatible parts into the socket and/or breaking
> the sockets while upgrading, so this would drive up support costs. In
> short, lots of extra costs all around for no real benefit to 99%+ of
> users.
>
> >Sorry to post this question here, i've tried comp.arch.embedded but no
one
> >gives a rat's ass about it.
>
> PocketPC's are only kinda-sorta embedded systems, and most usenet
> characters are rather picky about which rat's asses they care about :>
>
> -------------
> Tony Hill

Capitalist engineers==Swines(with diplomas, my precioussss...)

Bitstring <c8i56c$gge$1@ls219.htnet.hr>, from the wonderful person
flekso <flekso@vip.hr> said
<snip>

>Capitalist engineers==Swines(with diplomas, my precioussss...)

We resemble that remark. Our Nazgul will be coming for you shortly.
8>.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

"GSV Three Minds in a Can" <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> Bitstring <c8i56c$gge$1@ls219.htnet.hr>, from the wonderful person
> flekso <flekso@vip.hr> said
> <snip>
> >
> >Capitalist engineers==Swines(with diplomas, my precioussss...)
> >
> We resemble that remark. Our Nazgul will be coming for you shortly.
> 8>.

You allow your marketing(animal inside) to treat you like robots ?

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

On Thu, 20 May 2004 19:09:07 +0200 "flekso" <flekso@vip.hr> wrote in
Message id: <c8iokv$dte$1@ls219.htnet.hr>:

>"GSV Three Minds in a Can" <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Bitstring <c8i56c$gge$1@ls219.htnet.hr>, from the wonderful person
>> flekso <flekso@vip.hr> said
>> <snip>
>> >
>> >Capitalist engineers==Swines(with diplomas, my precioussss...)
>> >
>> We resemble that remark. Our Nazgul will be coming for you shortly.
>> 8>.
>>

>You allow your marketing(animal inside) to treat you like robots ?

This one knows too much.

[tango... five... niner... red...]