most stable current chipset for AMD?

Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
build a pc today with an athlon xp.

Loke wrote:
> Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
> build a pc today with an athlon xp.

I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear. I
have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
choose VIA.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan wrote:

> Loke wrote:
>
>>Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
>>build a pc today with an athlon xp.
>

> I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear. I
> have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
> absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
> choose VIA.

Personally, I like NForce2 better than SiS. I do, however,
second the motion against Via.

"Yousuf Khan" <news.20.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> writes:

> Loke wrote:
>> Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
>> build a pc today with an athlon xp.
>
> I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear. I
> have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
> absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
> choose VIA.

Any particular reasons for disliking VIA?

Thanks,

Kai

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:

> "Yousuf Khan" <news.20.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> writes:
>

>>Loke wrote:
>>
>>>Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
>>>build a pc today with an athlon xp.
>>
>>I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear. I
>>have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
>>absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
>>choose VIA.
>

> Any particular reasons for disliking VIA?

For me it is just that VIA-based motherboards have a proven
track record of instability and features that don't work as
advertised. I build two or three systems a week - a hobby,
essentially - and it is only the people who have me a build
a system around a VIA-based motherboard that end up reporting
problems. SiS and nVidia are not perfect, but they are much
better than VIA.

I'm *not* in the business of supporting systems that I've built.
There is only so much I'm willing to do in exchange for dinner
and a few beers. I want to put the pieces together, install the
OS and drivers, hand it over to the user, and be done with it.
I can do that with an nForce2 motherboard. I can seldom do that
with a VIA motherboard.

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen <khp@harrekilde.dk> wrote:
> "Yousuf Khan" <news.20.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> writes:
>
>> Loke wrote:
>>> Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
>>> build a pc today with an athlon xp.
>>
>> I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear. I
>> have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
>> absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
>> choose VIA.
>
> Any particular reasons for disliking VIA?

Apart from the numerous stability problems, flaky drivers and an
interesting PCI implementation? No, not really. :)

--
Bjørn-Ove Heimsund
Centre for Integrated Petroleum Research

Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net> writes:

> Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:

>>>I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear. I
>>>have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
>>>absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
>>>choose VIA.
>> Any particular reasons for disliking VIA?
>>

> For me it is just that VIA-based motherboards have a proven
> track record of instability and features that don't work as
> advertised. I build two or three systems a week - a hobby,
> essentially - and it is only the people who have me a build
> a system around a VIA-based motherboard that end up reporting
> problems. SiS and nVidia are not perfect, but they are much
> better than VIA.
>
> I'm *not* in the business of supporting systems that I've built.
> There is only so much I'm willing to do in exchange for dinner
> and a few beers. I want to put the pieces together, install the
> OS and drivers, hand it over to the user, and be done with it.
> I can do that with an nForce2 motherboard. I can seldom do that
> with a VIA motherboard.

OK, three is a quorum :)

I'm planning to build an AMD64 based system (which socket type is
still open), and it's always nice to learn from the mistakes of those
that have walked down the path before you.

What's the concencus on the AMD chipsets (8xxx)? I have been looking
at the Tyan Tiger K8WS which uses the 8111/8151 combo.

Thanks,

Kai

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:

> What's the concencus on the AMD chipsets (8xxx)? I have been looking
> at the Tyan Tiger K8WS which uses the 8111/8151 combo.

I've built three Opty dualies using the Tyan S2885 and
one using the S2875 and all use that chipset. No problems
so far.

Downside is that the S2885 natively only supports USB 1.1,
so you have to get a PCI card for USB 2.0 support.

The S2875 and S2875S have recently added a couple of
USB 2.0 ports and cut down the number of USB 1.1 ports.
Be careful when ordering so that you don't get stuck with
an older version that has only USB 1.1.

Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net> writes:

> Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
>> What's the concencus on the AMD chipsets (8xxx)? I have been looking
>> at the Tyan Tiger K8WS which uses the 8111/8151 combo.
>>

> I've built three Opty dualies using the Tyan S2885 and
> one using the S2875 and all use that chipset. No problems
> so far.
>
> Downside is that the S2885 natively only supports USB 1.1,
> so you have to get a PCI card for USB 2.0 support.

As I read the AMD errata, it's a bug in the 8111.

> The S2875 and S2875S have recently added a couple of
> USB 2.0 ports and cut down the number of USB 1.1 ports.
> Be careful when ordering so that you don't get stuck with
> an older version that has only USB 1.1.

Thanks, I appreciate your information.

--Kai

Yousuf Khan <news.20.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear. I
> have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
> absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
> choose VIA.

I couldn't find a SiS735-based motherboard at a decent price at a local
retailer, and wanted to avoid the NVidia chipsets, so I ended up with a
VIA-based MSI. Seems tons more stable than my last experience with Via,
which was on a pair of much older Athlon (pre-XP) boards ... some FIC board,
now long gone, and an ASUS A7V.

--
Nate Edel http://www.nkedel.com/

"Elder Party 2004: Cthulhu for President -- this time WE'RE the lesser
evil."

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen <khp@harrekilde.dk> wrote:
> Any particular reasons for disliking VIA?

Just a lot of driver issues. This may have also been because back then I was
using Windows 98 and earlier on those systems, where drivers are just so
finicky to install and uninstall. If you ever change your processor or
motherboard to any other brand after you've had a VIA, you're going to have
a wonderful time with getting your OS back in working order again.

But I have installed VIA based systems since those days for friends, but I
usually tell them strongly to avoid them if at all possible. If it's a
matter of cost, then I can't argue with them, VIA boards do often tend to be
cheaper than Nvidia, and more available than SiS.

Yousuf Khan

Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net> wrote:
> Personally, I like NForce2 better than SiS. I do, however,
> second the motion against Via.

SiS chipsets aren't the sexiest things in the world, but they work as
advertised.

Yousuf Khan

Stacey

Rob Stow wrote:

> Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:

>>>I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear.
>>>I have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
>>>absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
>>>choose VIA.
>>

>> Any particular reasons for disliking VIA?
>>

> For me it is just that VIA-based motherboards have a proven
> track record of instability and features that don't work as
> advertised. I build two or three systems a week - a hobby,
> essentially - and it is only the people who have me a build
> a system around a VIA-based motherboard that end up reporting
> problems. SiS and nVidia are not perfect, but they are much
> better than VIA.

Exactly. Seems like anytime someone brings me a VIA system, it's got some
weird flakey problem, a driver conflict with their "4in1" drivers etc. I
have better things to do with my time.

--

Stacey

Stacey

Yousuf Khan wrote:

> Rob Stow <rob.stow@sasktel.net> wrote:
>> Personally, I like NForce2 better than SiS. I do, however,
>> second the motion against Via.
>
> SiS chipsets aren't the sexiest things in the world, but they work as
> advertised.

I've been real happy with all the SIS systems I've built using AMD XP's. All
have been REAL stable. Both my brother and sister in law heve them and it's
been a year with no phone calls about their machines! :)
--

Stacey

Nate Edel <archmage@sfchat.org> wrote:
> I couldn't find a SiS735-based motherboard at a decent price at a
> local retailer, and wanted to avoid the NVidia chipsets, so I ended
> up with a VIA-based MSI. Seems tons more stable than my last
> experience with Via, which was on a pair of much older Athlon
> (pre-XP) boards ... some FIC board, now long gone, and an ASUS A7V.

Well, the old SiS 735 chipsets have been replaced with 745's now. And the
AMD64 versions are called 755.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan <news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> Nate Edel <archmage@sfchat.org> wrote:
> > I couldn't find a SiS735-based motherboard at a decent price at a
> > local retailer, and wanted to avoid the NVidia chipsets, so I ended
>
> Well, the old SiS 735 chipsets have been replaced with 745's now. And the
> AMD64 versions are called 755.

At the time, I was just looking for SiS in general, but the point is noted.

--
Nate Edel http://www.nkedel.com/

"Elder Party 2004: Cthulhu for President -- this time WE'RE the lesser
evil."

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:

> I'm planning to build an AMD64 based system (which socket type is
> still open), and it's always nice to learn from the mistakes of those
> that have walked down the path before you.

well for several months for digital content creation i've been running
an Athlon64 with VIA Albatron board, K8X800 proII - no problems so far
:) and yes this is my first VIA but i read the reviews that AMD64 boards
with VIA appeared to be much better than the previous generation...
here's hoping...;)

rush

Loke <[baijxz at mailme dot dk]ignore@this.com> wrote :

> Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
> build a pc today with an athlon xp.

sis

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/

RusH <logistyka1@pf.pl> writes:

> Loke <[baijxz at mailme dot dk]ignore@this.com> wrote :
>
> > Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
> > build a pc today with an athlon xp.
>
> sis
>

> Pozdrawiam.
> --
> RusH //
> http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/
> Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery.
> You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.

I know it is expensive, but how about building based on AMD762 chipset, on a
dual board like Tyan 2462. These are pretty cheap now (approx $200) and
provide a *very* stable solution. I am using these, but mainly because I want
ECC support. The AMD chipset IDE controller is also stable under Linux. I've
got two of these boards and cannot break DMA even under very high disk load.

Note: these are only good up to 266MHz FSB, so the fastest chip you can run is
XP2400 or MP2800 or something like that.

Richard

Nate Edel wrote:
> Yousuf Khan <news.tally.bbbl67@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
>> Nate Edel <archmage@sfchat.org> wrote:
>>> I couldn't find a SiS735-based motherboard at a decent price at a
>>> local retailer, and wanted to avoid the NVidia chipsets, so I ended
>>
>> Well, the old SiS 735 chipsets have been replaced with 745's now.
>> And the AMD64 versions are called 755.
>
> At the time, I was just looking for SiS in general, but the point is
> noted.

BTW, you said you couldn't find a decent priced SiS-based motherboard? I
thought one of the all-time most famous decent-priced motherboards was
SiS-based, the ECS K7S5A. It wasn't available in your town?

Yousuf Khan

Slug

On Fri, 21 May 2004 23:49:23 -0700, archmage@sfchat.org (Nate Edel)
wrote:

>I couldn't find a SiS735-based motherboard at a decent price at a local
>retailer, and wanted to avoid the NVidia chipsets,

And what is your logic behind wanting to avoid Nvidia chipsets?

Ed

On Fri, 21 May 2004 08:23:54 +0200, Loke <[baijxz at mailme dot
dk]ignore@this.com> wrote:

>Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
>build a pc today with an athlon xp.

I'll vote Nforce 2. I've had an Asus A7N8X v2.00 (Nforce 2 Ultra-400
chipset) with Barton running WinXP Pro for just over a year now and it's
been flawless, running old bios and drivers too, no fuss, it just works!

Good Luck,
Ed

Bitstring <f7j0b018v38f3ajl5kd1kqrd5asranqpo2@4ax.com>, from the
wonderful person Ed <nospam@email.com> said
>On Fri, 21 May 2004 08:23:54 +0200, Loke <[baijxz at mailme dot
>dk]ignore@this.com> wrote:
>
>>Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
>>build a pc today with an athlon xp.
>
>I'll vote Nforce 2. I've had an Asus A7N8X v2.00 (Nforce 2 Ultra-400
>chipset) with Barton running WinXP Pro for just over a year now and it's
>been flawless, running old bios and drivers too, no fuss, it just works!

Yes, the nForce2 chipset is super. The current nForce3 chipset for AMD64
doesn't seem quite as slick, but maybe the revised one will be.

Having said that my nForce2 board (EPOX 8RDA+) went belly up yesterday
while recording some audio from cassette .. however it appears to be
'bad capacitors' rather than anything nVidia did.

(Anyone know when those dodgy-recipe electrolytic capacitors finally got
flushed from the build chain? I thought they were gone by early 2002,
but these boards were built in late 4q 2002, and seem to have them in
droves).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Ed

On Sun, 23 May 2004 10:11:53 +0100, GSV Three Minds in a Can
<GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:

>(Anyone know when those dodgy-recipe electrolytic capacitors finally got
>flushed from the build chain? I thought they were gone by early 2002,
>but these boards were built in late 4q 2002, and seem to have them in
>droves).

What about the Asus K8x?? board, those were released not too long ago
with bad caps!
Ed