mygarbage2000

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002

This is the URL.
http://www.iwill.net/zmax/zmaxdp_1.asp
The pictures look cool. Though I doubt the suggested price - $499,
especially after I just spent over $1200 on a dual Opty system, trying
to cut every corner to push the price down. Or it's just for barebone
system, and you pay for memory, video, disks, etc. separately?
They say it's based on Nvidia chipset and uses proprietary
motherboard. This means that Nforce is dual-capable, it's just that
no board maker builds Nforce-based dual board yet.

Fresh from an Iraqi prisoner interrogation "nobody@nowhere.net" <MyGarbage2000@hotmail.com> smirked:

>This is the URL.
>http://www.iwill.net/zmax/zmaxdp_1.asp
>The pictures look cool. Though I doubt the suggested price - $499,

That price is MB, case, and power supply only.

But adding CPUs and memory will still get you a dual-CPU system
for only a bit over $1K, plus drives. Or you can put it higher-speed
CPUs and more memory, and a fast SCSI RAID, and go somewhere
north of $3K.

To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity....

In article <88t2b01dofdopeugg34iimbf2a1thvqcos@4ax.com>,
nobody@nowhere.net <MyGarbage2000@hotmail.com> wrote:
>This is the URL.
>http://www.iwill.net/zmax/zmaxdp_1.asp
>The pictures look cool. Though I doubt the suggested price - $499,
>especially after I just spent over $1200 on a dual Opty system, trying
>to cut every corner to push the price down. Or it's just for barebone
>system, and you pay for memory, video, disks, etc. separately?

It's a box with a motherboard in; add your own CPU, memory, video, disc
and suchlike. I'm tempted to get it as my next PC.

>They say it's based on Nvidia chipset and uses proprietary
>motherboard. This means that Nforce is dual-capable, it's just that
>no board maker builds Nforce-based dual board yet.

I thought the delight of Hypertransport was that there's no such thing
as a "dual-capable chipset", that you could in theory build even an
eight-way machine and have any old chipset hanging off one of the
processors to provide a BIOS and have the thing boot.

Tom

On 24 May 2004 19:23:16 +0100 (BST), Thomas Womack
<twomack@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>They say it's based on Nvidia chipset and uses proprietary
>>motherboard. This means that Nforce is dual-capable, it's just that
>>no board maker builds Nforce-based dual board yet.
>
>I thought the delight of Hypertransport was that there's no such thing
>as a "dual-capable chipset", that you could in theory build even an
>eight-way machine and have any old chipset hanging off one of the
>processors to provide a BIOS and have the thing boot.

Yup, but it's one thing for this to work in theory, it's quite another
to try it out, test it and validate that the design actually DOES work
in the real world. nVidia has long said that the "Pro" version of
their nForce3 chipset should work in a dual-capable configurations,
though this is the first time I've seen anyone actually try it. FWIW
the only difference between the "Pro" and regular version of the
nForce3 is that the latter is validated to work in dual-processor
setups.

-------------
Tony Hill

Bitstring <tp03b0trdai9rh8n7jv95qpjp2om8aqcj4@4ax.com>, from the
wonderful person Never anonymous Bud <newskat@katxyzkave.net> said
>Fresh from an Iraqi prisoner interrogation "nobody@nowhere.net"
><MyGarbage2000@hotmail.com> smirked:
>
>>This is the URL.
>>http://www.iwill.net/zmax/zmaxdp_1.asp
>>The pictures look cool. Though I doubt the suggested price - $499,
>
>That price is MB, case, and power supply only.
>
>But adding CPUs and memory will still get you a dual-CPU system
>for only a bit over $1K, plus drives. Or you can put it higher-speed
>CPUs and more memory, and a fast SCSI RAID, and go somewhere
>north of $3K.

Want one, want one .. drool. Now .. preferably yesterday. 8>.

Of course, by the time if reaches the UK (if it ever does) it'll
mysteriously have doubled in price.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can