Socket 939 Review

Derek Baker wrote:

> http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=105
>
> Look at the restrictions on having 4 DIMMs:
> http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/cpu/s939/s939-3.htm

Basically all it requires is that when you have DIMMs in
both Slots 1 & 2 they have to be matched and when you have
DIMMs in both Slots 3 & 4 they have to be matched. And
the DIMMs in (1 & 2) don't even have to be the same speed
as the ones in (3&4).

FWIW, you also see the same kind of thing with the Opteron
motherboards.

What I would really like to see is similar charts for HP's
four-way Opty servers, which have 8 DIMM slots per processor.
Such charts are probably there - I just haven't looked too
hard yet.

> Does the Pentium 4 have similar restrictions?

It is not the P4 processor that causes those restrictions - it
is the motherboard, the chipset/memory controller in particular.
And yes, the Pentium 4 motherboards typically have the same
kinds of restrictions. Just go to a site like Asus and look
at the manuals for some of the newer P4 motherboards.

"Rob Stow" <rob.stow@sasktel.net> wrote in message

> What I would really like to see is similar charts for HP's
> four-way Opty servers, which have 8 DIMM slots per processor.
> Such charts are probably there - I just haven't looked too
> hard yet.

You mean HP lets you plug _your_ DIMMs into its servers without
voiding the servers' warranty?? My, times have certainly changed
since the last time I did business with HP! ;-)

Felger Carbon wrote:

> "Rob Stow" <rob.stow@sasktel.net> wrote in message
>
>>What I would really like to see is similar charts for HP's
>>four-way Opty servers, which have 8 DIMM slots per processor.
>>Such charts are probably there - I just haven't looked too
>>hard yet.
>

> You mean HP lets you plug _your_ DIMMs into its servers without
> voiding the servers' warranty?? My, times have certainly changed
> since the last time I did business with HP! ;-)

Couldn't tell you from personal experience. I used to
deal with a lot of Compaq and DEC/Alpha servers, but haven't
dealt with HP or Compaq machines for a few years now. I
am simply curious about those HP 4-way Opty servers - they
reportedly have each processor on a card with 8 DIMM sockets,
then the cards of course plug into slots on the motherboard.

Rob Stow wrote:
> Derek Baker wrote:
>
>> http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=105
>>
>> Look at the restrictions on having 4 DIMMs:
>> http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/cpu/s939/s939-3.htm
>>

> Basically all it requires is that when you have DIMMs in
> both Slots 1 & 2 they have to be matched and when you have
> DIMMs in both Slots 3 & 4 they have to be matched. And
> the DIMMs in (1 & 2) don't even have to be the same speed
> as the ones in (3&4).

The way I'm reading it, if you have four double-sided DIMMs, there's no
way you can get DDR400. It's DDR333 with 2T, and DDR200 (!) with 1T.

--
Derek

Derek Baker wrote:

> Rob Stow wrote:
>
>>Derek Baker wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.x86-secret.com/popups/articleswindow.php?id=105
>>>
>>>Look at the restrictions on having 4 DIMMs:
>>>http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/cpu/s939/s939-3.htm
>>>

>>Basically all it requires is that when you have DIMMs in
>>both Slots 1 & 2 they have to be matched and when you have
>>DIMMs in both Slots 3 & 4 they have to be matched. And
>>the DIMMs in (1 & 2) don't even have to be the same speed
>>as the ones in (3&4).
>

> The way I'm reading it, if you have four double-sided DIMMs, there's no
> way you can get DDR400. It's DDR333 with 2T, and DDR200 (!) with 1T.

I noticed that, but didn't think it was much of an issue:
if four big DIMMs is important to you, wouldn't you be
using an Opteron dualie instead of pissing around with
Athlon64 ?

Google's take on translation: http://tinyurl.com/2sp57

--
Derek