Pentiun III 1.13Ghz vz Celeron 1.4Ghz

Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I have an old dell dimension 4100 that I'm doing some upgrades so it
can last me a few more years. After upgradind hard drive to an 80GB
and the Video Card to a Radeon 9200SE, I think the one last thing I
can upgrade without major investment is the CPU. I currently have a
PIII with 800 Mhz on a 815e chipset socket 370. I did some research
and I found a couple of value cpu's both under 50$ that will fit on my
current motherboard:

1.13GHz Intel PIII 133MHz 256K FCPGA-2 Socket-370 L2 Advanced
Transfer Cache - 256 KB

1.4GHz Intel Celeron II FCPGA-2 32 Kbyte (16 Kbyte/16 Kbyte) Level 1
cache, 256 Kbyte integrated Level 2 cache

Which CPU will give me the best performance? Which one is better for
playing games like Unreal and other FPS? I know that there is an
ongoing dilema between Celeron and Pentium.
15 answers Last reply
More about pentiun 13ghz celeron 4ghz
  1. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 26 May 2004 11:04:58 -0700, catiare@hotmail.com (Catiare) wrote:

    >1.13GHz Intel PIII 133MHz 256K FCPGA-2 Socket-370 L2 Advanced
    >Transfer Cache - 256 KB
    >
    >1.4GHz Intel Celeron II FCPGA-2 32 Kbyte (16 Kbyte/16 Kbyte) Level 1
    >cache, 256 Kbyte integrated Level 2 cache

    with only 0.3Ghz difference in clockspeed, it's a no brainer for the
    P3 1.13 I think. Unless heat or something is a major consideration?

  2. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips The little lost angel <a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com> wrote:
    > >1.13GHz Intel PIII 133MHz 256K FCPGA-2 Socket-370 L2 Advanced
    > >Transfer Cache - 256 KB
    > >
    > >1.4GHz Intel Celeron II FCPGA-2 32 Kbyte (16 Kbyte/16 Kbyte) Level 1
    > >cache, 256 Kbyte integrated Level 2 cache
    >
    > with only 0.3Ghz difference in clockspeed, it's a no brainer for the
    > P3 1.13 I think. Unless heat or something is a major consideration?

    Given that they're practically the same core and have the same cache size,
    I'd say the opposite -- that the extra 25% in core speed will probably more
    than make up for the difference in FSB... I'd go which whichever of the two
    is cheaper.

    --
    Nate Edel http://www.nkedel.com/

    "Elder Party 2004: Cthulhu for President -- this time WE'RE the lesser
    evil."
  3. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 26 May 2004 11:04:58 -0700, catiare@hotmail.com (Catiare) wrote:

    >I have an old dell dimension 4100 that I'm doing some upgrades so it
    >can last me a few more years. After upgradind hard drive to an 80GB
    >and the Video Card to a Radeon 9200SE, I think the one last thing I
    >can upgrade without major investment is the CPU. I currently have a
    >PIII with 800 Mhz on a 815e chipset socket 370. I did some research
    >and I found a couple of value cpu's both under 50$ that will fit on my
    >current motherboard:

    There were two different versions of the PIII 800MHz: the 800 with 100MHz
    FSB and the 800EB with 133MHz FSB. You need to be sure which you have and
    if the FSB of your mbrd can be changed.

    >1.13GHz Intel PIII 133MHz 256K FCPGA-2 Socket-370 L2 Advanced
    >Transfer Cache - 256 KB

    You need to get the S-spec number on this to be sure what it is for
    compatibility with your mbrd on FSB, voltage and pin config.

    >1.4GHz Intel Celeron II FCPGA-2 32 Kbyte (16 Kbyte/16 Kbyte) Level 1
    >cache, 256 Kbyte integrated Level 2 cache

    The 1.4GHz Celeron (Tualatin core) is not directly compatible with your
    mbrd - voltage and pin config is different and you'd need a Powerleap
    adapter or the likes and it'll have a 100MHz FSB.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

  4. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 26 May 2004 11:04:58 -0700, catiare@hotmail.com (Catiare) wrote:
    >I have an old dell dimension 4100 that I'm doing some upgrades so it
    >can last me a few more years. After upgradind hard drive to an 80GB
    >and the Video Card to a Radeon 9200SE, I think the one last thing I
    >can upgrade without major investment is the CPU. I currently have a
    >PIII with 800 Mhz on a 815e chipset socket 370. I did some research
    >and I found a couple of value cpu's both under 50$ that will fit on my
    >current motherboard:
    >
    >1.13GHz Intel PIII 133MHz 256K FCPGA-2 Socket-370 L2 Advanced
    >Transfer Cache - 256 KB
    >
    >1.4GHz Intel Celeron II FCPGA-2 32 Kbyte (16 Kbyte/16 Kbyte) Level 1
    >cache, 256 Kbyte integrated Level 2 cache
    >
    >Which CPU will give me the best performance? Which one is better for
    >playing games like Unreal and other FPS? I know that there is an
    >ongoing dilema between Celeron and Pentium.

    It would probably be reasonably close. In terms of the internals of
    the chip, they're virtually identical. Both have the same amount of
    cache and the same core, so they'll perform very similarly clock for
    clock. The PIII has a slight edge in that it runs at a higher bus
    speed (133MHz vs. 100MHz), but the Celeron has a higher core clock
    speed (1.4GHz vs. 1.13GHz). In the end it's probably a toss up,
    though my money would be on the Celeron.

    -------------
    Tony Hill
  5. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    The Celeron is slower than the PIII by a little bit.

    --
    DaveW

    "Catiare" <catiare@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have an old dell dimension 4100 that I'm doing some upgrades so it
    > can last me a few more years. After upgradind hard drive to an 80GB
    > and the Video Card to a Radeon 9200SE, I think the one last thing I
    > can upgrade without major investment is the CPU. I currently have a
    > PIII with 800 Mhz on a 815e chipset socket 370. I did some research
    > and I found a couple of value cpu's both under 50$ that will fit on my
    > current motherboard:
    >
    > 1.13GHz Intel PIII 133MHz 256K FCPGA-2 Socket-370 L2 Advanced
    > Transfer Cache - 256 KB
    >
    > 1.4GHz Intel Celeron II FCPGA-2 32 Kbyte (16 Kbyte/16 Kbyte) Level 1
    > cache, 256 Kbyte integrated Level 2 cache
    >
    > Which CPU will give me the best performance? Which one is better for
    > playing games like Unreal and other FPS? I know that there is an
    > ongoing dilema between Celeron and Pentium.
  6. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Nate Edel wrote:

    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips The little lost angel
    > <a?n?g?e?l@lovergirl.lrigrevol.moc.com> wrote:
    >> >1.13GHz Intel PIII 133MHz 256K FCPGA-2 Socket-370 L2 Advanced
    >> >Transfer Cache - 256 KB
    >> >
    >> >1.4GHz Intel Celeron II FCPGA-2 32 Kbyte (16 Kbyte/16 Kbyte) Level 1
    >> >cache, 256 Kbyte integrated Level 2 cache
    >>
    >> with only 0.3Ghz difference in clockspeed, it's a no brainer for the
    >> P3 1.13 I think. Unless heat or something is a major consideration?
    >
    > Given that they're practically the same core and have the same cache size,
    > I'd say the opposite -- that the extra 25% in core speed will probably
    > more than make up for the difference in FSB... I'd go which whichever of
    > the two is cheaper.

    I think that 133FSB is pushing it for a 1Ghz+ chip. 100 just isn't fast
    enough to feed the processor.
    --

    Stacey
  7. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Nate Edel wrote:
    > >>
    > >> with only 0.3Ghz difference in clockspeed, it's a no brainer for the
    > >> P3 1.13 I think. Unless heat or something is a major consideration?
    > >
    > > Given that they're practically the same core and have the same cache size,
    > > I'd say the opposite -- that the extra 25% in core speed will probably
    > > more than make up for the difference in FSB... I'd go which whichever of
    > > the two is cheaper.
    >
    > I think that 133FSB is pushing it for a 1Ghz+ chip. 100 just isn't fast
    > enough to feed the processor.

    You could make the same argument about 133FSB vs DDR, and yet the overall
    performance doesn't scale anywhere linearly with FSB. How much the FSB
    matters depends a lot on your workload, but in practice, I don't think the
    increase from 100mhz to 133mhz at the same cache size is enough to _match_
    let alone beat a comparable increase in core and cache speed.

    Since 1133mhz to 1400mhz is only about a ~25% increase (just less than that
    actually), it's quite plausible that there's a wash overall, but a lot
    depends on the workload.

    --
    Nate Edel http://www.nkedel.com/

    "Elder Party 2004: Cthulhu for President -- this time WE'RE the lesser
    evil."
  8. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    I believe the chipset on your motherboard is not electrically
    compatible with those processors.
    http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/815ep/

    On 26 May 2004 11:04:58 -0700, catiare@hotmail.com (Catiare) wrote:

    >I have an old dell dimension 4100 that I'm doing some upgrades so it
    >can last me a few more years. After upgradind hard drive to an 80GB
    >and the Video Card to a Radeon 9200SE, I think the one last thing I
    >can upgrade without major investment is the CPU. I currently have a
    >PIII with 800 Mhz on a 815e chipset socket 370. I did some research
    >and I found a couple of value cpu's both under 50$ that will fit on my
    >current motherboard:
    >
    >1.13GHz Intel PIII 133MHz 256K FCPGA-2 Socket-370 L2 Advanced
    >Transfer Cache - 256 KB
    >
    >1.4GHz Intel Celeron II FCPGA-2 32 Kbyte (16 Kbyte/16 Kbyte) Level 1
    >cache, 256 Kbyte integrated Level 2 cache
    >
    >Which CPU will give me the best performance? Which one is better for
    >playing games like Unreal and other FPS? I know that there is an
    >ongoing dilema between Celeron and Pentium.
  9. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    catiare@hotmail.com (Catiare) wrote:

    >I have an old dell dimension 4100 that I'm doing some upgrades so it
    >can last me a few more years. After upgradind hard drive to an 80GB
    >and the Video Card to a Radeon 9200SE, I think the one last thing I
    >can upgrade without major investment is the CPU. I currently have a
    >PIII with 800 Mhz on a 815e chipset socket 370. I did some research
    >and I found a couple of value cpu's both under 50$ that will fit on my
    >current motherboard:
    >
    >1.13GHz Intel PIII 133MHz 256K FCPGA-2 Socket-370 L2 Advanced
    >Transfer Cache - 256 KB
    >
    >1.4GHz Intel Celeron II FCPGA-2 32 Kbyte (16 Kbyte/16 Kbyte) Level 1
    >cache, 256 Kbyte integrated Level 2 cache
    >
    >Which CPU will give me the best performance? Which one is better for
    >playing games like Unreal and other FPS? I know that there is an
    >ongoing dilema between Celeron and Pentium.

    You likely will not even be able to tell the diffence, going from 800
    to 1.13 or even 1.4. I'd save my money, and plan for a new machine.
  10. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in

    > catiare@hotmail.com (Catiare) wrote:
    >
    >>I have an old dell dimension 4100 that I'm doing some upgrades so it
    >>can last me a few more years. After upgradind hard drive to an 80GB
    >>and the Video Card to a Radeon 9200SE, I think the one last thing I
    >>can upgrade without major investment is the CPU. I currently have a
    >>PIII with 800 Mhz on a 815e chipset socket 370. I did some research
    >>and I found a couple of value cpu's both under 50$ that will fit on my
    >>current motherboard:
    >>
    >>1.13GHz Intel PIII 133MHz 256K FCPGA-2 Socket-370 L2 Advanced
    >>Transfer Cache - 256 KB
    >>
    >>1.4GHz Intel Celeron II FCPGA-2 32 Kbyte (16 Kbyte/16 Kbyte) Level 1
    >>cache, 256 Kbyte integrated Level 2 cache
    >>
    >>Which CPU will give me the best performance? Which one is better for
    >>playing games like Unreal and other FPS? I know that there is an
    >>ongoing dilema between Celeron and Pentium.
    >
    > You likely will not even be able to tell the diffence, going from 800
    > to 1.13 or even 1.4. I'd save my money, and plan for a new machine.

    That's what I would suggest as well. I have an 850mhz Athlon system that
    I'm looking to fully replace with a whole new system. Thing is, now
    doesn't seem to be the best time to buy, so I am going to wait on the
    release of DOOM 3 and/or Halflife 2 before I buy. By then the last-gen
    graphics cards should be well under $200 and the cpu's/mobo's might be
    lower too. Am probably going with Athlon 64, 3200+ ish. Radeon 9800pro.

    Knight37
  11. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Nate Edel wrote:

    > I don't think the
    > increase from 100mhz to 133mhz at the same cache size is enough to _match_
    > let alone beat a comparable increase in core and cache speed.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/cpu_charts-22.html

    Seems on this test a 1.0 P3 beats a 1.3 celry so something is going on! :-)
    --

    Stacey
  12. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 22:15:13 -0400, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Nate Edel wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think the
    >> increase from 100mhz to 133mhz at the same cache size is enough to _match_
    >> let alone beat a comparable increase in core and cache speed.
    >

    >http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/cpu_charts-22.html
    >
    >Seems on this test a 1.0 P3 beats a 1.3 celry so something is going on! :-)

    Umm.. huh? You must be reading those results differently than me,
    because I'm seeing that the PIII 1.0EB GHz and the Celeron 1.3GHz
    managed an exact tie at 136.2 on the first test and on the second the
    Celeron was faster by a trivial margin (133.7 vs. 132.8).

    Anyway, that's probably a reasonable article to look through for the
    original poster. The comparison of the PIII 1.0EB GHz vs. Celeron
    1.0GHz should be well within the ballpark of his comparison of a PIII
    1.13EB GHz vs. Celeron 1.4GHz. It will also show roughly how they
    compare to his existing chip and whether it's actually worthwhile to
    even bother with the upgrade.

    -------------
    Tony Hill
  13. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Tony Hill wrote:

    > Umm.. huh? You must be reading those results differently than me,
    > because I'm seeing that the PIII 1.0EB GHz and the Celeron 1.3GHz
    > managed an exact tie at 136.2 on the first test

    You're right it's a tie. Still, it took 300Mhz of core to equal 33 mhz of
    fsb.

    --

    Stacey
  14. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 23:34:04 -0400, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Tony Hill wrote:
    >>
    >> Umm.. huh? You must be reading those results differently than me,
    >> because I'm seeing that the PIII 1.0EB GHz and the Celeron 1.3GHz
    >> managed an exact tie at 136.2 on the first test
    >
    >You're right it's a tie. Still, it took 300Mhz of core to equal 33 mhz of
    >fsb.

    That sounds about right, a 30% increase in clock speed (both core and
    cache) is about equal to a 33% increase in bus speed. The difference
    may seem large if you look at in terms of absolute MHz, but in terms
    of percentage it makes sense.

    -------------
    Tony Hill
  15. Archived from groups: intel.microprocessors.pentium_iii,comp.benchmarks,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Catiare wrote:

    > I have an old dell dimension 4100 that I'm doing some upgrades so it
    > can last me a few more years. After upgradind hard drive to an 80GB
    > and the Video Card to a Radeon 9200SE, I think the one last thing I
    > can upgrade without major investment is the CPU. I currently have a
    > PIII with 800 Mhz on a 815e chipset socket 370. I did some research
    > and I found a couple of value cpu's both under 50$ that will fit on my
    > current motherboard:
    >
    > 1.13GHz Intel PIII 133MHz 256K FCPGA-2 Socket-370 L2 Advanced
    > Transfer Cache - 256 KB
    >
    > 1.4GHz Intel Celeron II FCPGA-2 32 Kbyte (16 Kbyte/16 Kbyte) Level 1
    > cache, 256 Kbyte integrated Level 2 cache
    >
    > Which CPU will give me the best performance? Which one is better for
    > playing games like Unreal and other FPS? I know that there is an
    > ongoing dilema between Celeron and Pentium.

    Maybe consider a 1.0A Tualatin Celeron and overclock it to
    1.33Ghz 133FSBif your mobo supports it.
    That's what I'm typing on and it has PC133 CAS2 memory.
    See overclockers.com for more info and list of mobo's/overclocks

CPUs