Please....can anybody help me ?

I have computer with P4MA motherboard via chipset, processor intel pentum 4
, I don't know exactkly why it can't start and display booting error
message:

Award Bootblock V1.0

BIOS ROM checksum Error

Detecting floppy drive A Media

How to resolve this problem ?

Best Regards.

Rudi Harsono

Stacey

binapusat wrote:

> Please....can anybody help me ?
>
> I have computer with P4MA motherboard via chipset, processor intel pentum
> 4 , I don't know exactkly why it can't start and display booting error
> message:
>
> Award Bootblock V1.0
>
> BIOS ROM checksum Error
>
> Detecting floppy drive A Media

How long has it been doing this, does it do it on every boot etc etc
--

Stacey

Bitstring <2hnshqFf69ptU1@uni-berlin.de>, from the wonderful person
binapusat <binapusat@nusa.net.id> said
>Please....can anybody help me ?
>
>I have computer with P4MA motherboard via chipset, processor intel pentum 4
>, I don't know exactkly why it can't start and display booting error
>message:
>
>Award Bootblock V1.0
>
>BIOS ROM checksum Error
>
>Detecting floppy drive A Media
>

>How to resolve this problem ?

Unless this motherboard has some emergency flash or bios recovery
ability (most don't), then the solution requires the installation of a
replacement BIOS chip since the old one has died, or gotten corrupted.
I assume you didn't try to 'Flash' the BIOS recently (power failure in
the middle of flashing the BIOS will do this most of the time)?

If it's under warranty take it back. If it isn't, you need a replacement
BIOS chip (normally from the motherboard manufacturer) and someone with
the tools/experience to fit it. Or you could change the motherboard

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> binapusat <binapusat@nusa.net.id> said
>>Award Bootblock V1.0
>>BIOS ROM checksum Error
>>Detecting floppy drive A Media
>
> Unless this motherboard has some emergency flash or bios recovery
> ability (most don't), then the solution requires the installation of a

This "detecting floppy drive A" sounds like an emergency
recovery facility. An MS-DOS formatted disk with the
flasher and ROM code should permit reflashing the BIOS.

Try putting in an MS-DOS bootable floppy and see what happens.
Check the mfr's website.

-- Robert

Bitstring <8xGtc.994$474.898@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>, from the
wonderful person Robert Redelmeier <redelm@ev1.net.invalid> said
>GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:
>> binapusat <binapusat@nusa.net.id> said
>>>Award Bootblock V1.0
>>>BIOS ROM checksum Error
>>>Detecting floppy drive A Media
>>
>> Unless this motherboard has some emergency flash or bios recovery
>> ability (most don't), then the solution requires the installation of a
>
>This "detecting floppy drive A" sounds like an emergency
>recovery facility. An MS-DOS formatted disk with the
>flasher and ROM code should permit reflashing the BIOS.
>
>Try putting in an MS-DOS bootable floppy and see what happens.
>Check the mfr's website.

Good suggestion - I'm not familiar with that particular board and I
didn't check the manufacturer's site to see if it can, in fact, recover
from a dead BIOS.

OTOH a BIOS chip which lost data once (assuming the OP didn't mis-flash
it) doesn't inspire confidence for the future, even if you can reload a
working version from floppy.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

yes, it do it every boot. It stop here, can't do anything (etc: Read data
from Harddisk)

> binapusat wrote:
>
> > Please....can anybody help me ?
> >
> > I have computer with P4MA motherboard via chipset, processor intel
pentum
> > 4 , I don't know exactkly why it can't start and display booting error
> > message:
> >
> > Award Bootblock V1.0
> >
> > BIOS ROM checksum Error
> >
> > Detecting floppy drive A Media
> >

> How long has it been doing this, does it do it on every boot etc etc
> --
>
> Stacey

GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> OTOH a BIOS chip which lost data once (assuming the OP didn't mis-flash
> it) doesn't inspire confidence for the future, even if you can reload a
> working version from floppy.

Fully agreed. Sounds like a bad EEPROM cell. A good
candidate for RMA, especially if it repeats.

-- Robert

Stacey

binapusat wrote:

> yes, it do it every boot. It stop here, can't do anything (etc: Read data
> from Harddisk)

The reason I asked, I had a system that would give me a bios checksum error
on one boot attaempt, the next would boot up without a hitch. Turned out to
be a flakey PSU was doing this. Might be worth trying if you have a spare
one?
--

Stacey

oh....last night I acquire the problem, it's lost CMOS battery, I had
replacement with new one but isn't success. It's still appear same problem.

"GSV Three Minds in a Can" <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> Bitstring <2hnshqFf69ptU1@uni-berlin.de>, from the wonderful person
> binapusat <binapusat@nusa.net.id> said
> >Please....can anybody help me ?
> >
> >I have computer with P4MA motherboard via chipset, processor intel pentum
4
> >, I don't know exactkly why it can't start and display booting error
> >message:
> >
> >Award Bootblock V1.0
> >
> >BIOS ROM checksum Error
> >
> >Detecting floppy drive A Media
> >

> >How to resolve this problem ?
>
> Unless this motherboard has some emergency flash or bios recovery
> ability (most don't), then the solution requires the installation of a
> replacement BIOS chip since the old one has died, or gotten corrupted.
> I assume you didn't try to 'Flash' the BIOS recently (power failure in
> the middle of flashing the BIOS will do this most of the time)?
>
> If it's under warranty take it back. If it isn't, you need a replacement
> BIOS chip (normally from the motherboard manufacturer) and someone with
> the tools/experience to fit it. Or you could change the motherboard
>
> --
> GSV Three Minds in a Can
> Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

Stacey

binapusat wrote:

> oh....last night I acquire the problem, it's lost CMOS battery, I had
> replacement with new one but isn't success. It's still appear same
> problem.

Like someone said, get the bios flash utility and the bios file from the
manufacturer, copy them on a bootable dos floppy and insert it into the
machine and then boot it. Hopefully it will boot off that floppy and let
you run the bios flash program.
--

Stacey

Bitstring <2hqdhvFg0jeoU1@uni-berlin.de>, from the wonderful person
binapusat <binapusat@nusa.net.id> said
>oh....last night I acquire the problem, it's lost CMOS battery, I had
>replacement with new one but isn't success. It's still appear same problem.

A dead CMOS battery could give you boot problems, and maybe bleating
about corrupt CMOS RAM data (which a 'clear cmos' would fix), however it
should not give you BIOS checksum errors .. the BIOS is in Flash memory,
and holds its value with no power at all (until/unless one of the memory
cells fails).

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Oke...Thank's for every advices.

I will try to fixed it by flash BIOS, if appear same problem, I hope you are
not bored with my unknown something.

Best Regards

Rudi Harsono

> Bitstring <2hqdhvFg0jeoU1@uni-berlin.de>, from the wonderful person
> binapusat <binapusat@nusa.net.id> said
> >oh....last night I acquire the problem, it's lost CMOS battery, I had
> >replacement with new one but isn't success. It's still appear same
problem.

> A dead CMOS battery could give you boot problems, and maybe bleating
> about corrupt CMOS RAM data (which a 'clear cmos' would fix), however it
> should not give you BIOS checksum errors .. the BIOS is in Flash memory,
> and holds its value with no power at all (until/unless one of the memory
> cells fails).
>
> --
> GSV Three Minds in a Can
> Outgoing Msgs are Turing Tested,and indistinguishable from human typing.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 10:04:32 +0700, "binapusat"
<binapusat@nusa.net.id> wrote:

>Oke...Thank's for every advices.
>
>I will try to fixed it by flash BIOS, if appear same problem, I hope you are
>not bored with my unknown something.
>
>Best Regards

I got that same error message after updating the bios on my Abit IC7
once and all I had to do was go into the bios and set my usual
settings and then save them. After that I never got the checksum error
message again.

akhtar_61

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Please....can anybody help me ?

I have computer with P4MA motherboard via chipset, processor intel pentum 4
, I don't know exactkly why it can't start and display booting error
message:

Award Bootblock V1.0

BIOS ROM checksum Error

Detecting floppy drive A Media

How to resolve this problem ?

Best Regards.

Rudi Harsono

rom bios error is a corrupted bios. often cause by either an incomplete or bad flash. it can also be caused by powering off while bios is saving.

as others have said you will need to replace the bios chip, the problem is your unlikely to be able to source 1 for that board and it would be cheaper to just replace the whole thing with a cheap asrock board.