Sign in with
Your question

Most underrated game?

Last response: in Video Games
October 31, 2003 6:52:36 AM

I just reinstalled my copy of Sacrifice and that has to be the most underrated game in recent memory.

The graphics to this day are great, and beat many games just coming out today and the gameplay is so much more fun for a RTS style game than the Ages games and Warcraft series lately.

And the storys better with a multiple branching system.

Another most enjoyable game was Giants Citizen Kabuto.. though not in the league of Sacrifice by any means, it was probably the last time I remember being genuininly entertained playing a game.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>

More about : underrated game

October 31, 2003 9:47:26 PM

I've never heard of Sacrifice, I had to look it up!

My vote for 'most underrated game' has to go to "Warzone 2100" and "Darkstone." 2 games from 1999 that I still play to this day.
November 1, 2003 4:09:23 AM

I missed those, I'm going to have to look them up too!

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
Related resources
November 1, 2003 12:03:32 PM

If I remember correctly Computer Gaming World gave Sacrifice the RTS game of the year in 2001 (or whenever it was that it came out.)
November 2, 2003 2:09:08 AM

Deus Ex I say, it wasn't underrated by the press but it never caught on with the public, it was way ahead of its time merging rpg elements with a first person shooter with an awesome story and multiple endings.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.
November 2, 2003 10:11:28 PM

CGW is going to have a free copy of Deus Ex on the CD with the next issue. (And, no, I'm not a shill, I don't work for CGW)
November 6, 2003 8:49:06 PM

Yes Deus Ex is indeed the most underrated game !! This game really ruled !! I am looking forward to the sequel for month & month !!
November 6, 2003 9:14:38 PM

Most underated games are System Shock 1 & 2. From the creator of Deux Ex. Looking Glass studios bankrupted and some guys from SS went and did Deus Ex. Really siilar games.
November 7, 2003 5:03:27 AM

YES! sacrifice was awesome!! that game was so cool.
I'm gonna have to go find it and play through the singal player again.

Giants was fun, but it got too repeatitive after awhile :/ 
November 9, 2003 6:22:12 PM

Giants is only fun when someone plays the kabuto really well... Mind you the reapers are WAY over powered... but if you're at a lan, and you have a 1337 kabuto he can even up the teams easily.

It was a cool concept, but the more I played it on lans, the more i hated.

Sacrifice was a lot of fun, never tried it MP though, is it worth it?
November 11, 2003 10:26:38 PM

Shockwave.com's Lemonade Stand Game. Man that game kicks ass.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>
November 13, 2003 6:42:11 PM

ahh the lemon stand game =)
That brings back memories of the jeep game where the jeep shoots diaganle-upwards or straight, and the jeep can jump... what was that one again?

lol.
Ya sacrifice was good in it's time, except the tutorial was long and boring, and if you skipped ahead the game would stop.
November 14, 2003 4:40:11 AM

System Shock 2 was the best game I ever played. Any ideas on something similiar? Would be appreciated.

__
At this rate we'll all be going to hell. But at least I have box seats.
November 14, 2003 5:09:22 AM

deus ex was another badass game of a similar genre :D 
and of course there's always the original system shock :p 
November 14, 2003 5:17:35 AM

Don't want to go to old. GLQuake always stuck in my mind as a great fast game with brilliant graphics. Played it 2 weeks ago and my bubble burst.

You know what could be great? Someone really bored, taking Doom2's levels, and import/rebuild it with the Quake3 engine, use the same pallettes and colours, but obviously enhanced.

__
November 14, 2003 6:43:27 AM

Shot!

I'm busy checking. It's Friday morning, everyone's on leave and I have a 384kb line all for myself. In this country that's huge, so don't laugh. It's not odd to get a download of 500 bytes/s in this country. And please note I said "bytes".

Thanks

__
November 16, 2003 8:09:09 AM

Quote:
Giants is only fun when someone plays the kabuto really well... Mind you the reapers are WAY over powered... but if you're at a lan, and you have a 1337 kabuto he can even up the teams easily.

It was a cool concept, but the more I played it on lans, the more i hated.

Sacrifice was a lot of fun, never tried it MP though, is it worth it?

I never played Giants in MP. I assumed it was buggy so never tried. Plus never knew anyone else that had it.

I never played sacrifice MP either but I read it kicks ass. The management of the troops and souls and spells gets hectic sometimes and I just imagined playing someone going back and forth in a battle that no one won.
It could get really tiring, I found similar situations in the single player game sometimes.

----
November 16, 2003 3:56:53 PM

hehe, the only time i've played giants was a lan parties... never over the net or sp =).
November 18, 2003 4:52:58 AM

personally i thought that game sux man but i guess inever played it enough.

-={Apostalic Alcoholic.}=-
November 21, 2003 8:06:27 PM

Well... maybe not Most Underrated... but Planescape: Torment really should've had a bigger following. I don't remember any real RPGs made since then (although i haven't played Morrowind yet.. i'm just not into 1st person RPGs though.. doesn't work for me). Games like Diablo II are FUN, but definitely not true RPGs, more just Hack n Slash.

Planescape Torment had THOUSANDS of pages of text to read. They literally created a UNIVERSE (or multiverse to be more precise :p ) for this game.

Hundreds of quests most people wouldn't even get to do exist.

You can play the game a totally different way every time, and it's player growth is unique.. you allocate points as you go, and gain classes and such along the way. And of course your actions change what you are (Neutral, Evil, Good, Chasotic, etc). So you basically start as a generic Hero and can make a few changes to stats... then by your actions through the game you shape your character. Rather than by building Mr Uber Warrior right from the start. I like this method because it seems more realistic, and since this is a Role Playing Game, it also encourages people to actually PLAY the role they wish to be. good stuff.

Another thing was the sounds/music. Maybe it wasn't the best quality (many were 64kbps), but it was quite unique, and ALWAYS fit perfectly with whatever was going on.

Playing Planescape for me was like reading a good book.. you get completely lost.. and once away you wish to go back.. and you're like "What the heck? REAL WORLD? Bah. i like my fake Universe (Multiverse) better"

It's a good thing no more games are going to use the Planescape idea/ruleset... because they'd probably not live up to the uberness of Planescape. I'd like to find some other True RPGs this absorbing someday.

"How could I be broke? I had 6 million dollars in the bank!"
"Yeah... remember that time when you bought the Six Million Dollar Man?"
"HELL yeah! ... ... Oh."
November 24, 2003 7:06:57 AM

PROTO, now that's an old and underated game!

In short it was a space game in which one had to find resources and trade them and or find crew mates, fight space dogfights, improve your spaceship (buy new ones) research knew lifeforms, scout the galaxy for new planets with interesting things/trade posts.
All to send money back to earth so they could defend themselfs and also you had to rally allies to counter attack

An extremly versatile game!, the galaxy was huge hunderds of planets (looked quite alike but diffent resources/needs/safety) and extremly long gameplay (mabye to long for some)

For the time the graphics were excellent too (on a 486 or a 286 I'm not sure, it was along time ago)

Life's a joke and so am I
November 27, 2003 9:03:30 AM

sacrifice... looked great and was a great game to play for like.... a day...

then u realised how repetitive it was and how annoying it was to control yur troops when the action picked up... then u uninstalled it, broke the cd and flung it into the fire least u be tempted to install it again in a bout of nostalgia a month or two down the line

also ive only just noticed that posting a response knocks the topic to the top of the list.... so im gonna stop posting to old topics now

"I'm the dog from the advert. Would you like to stroke my coat?"
November 29, 2003 7:55:13 PM

Mafia, got great reviews but wasn't as popular as it should've been, probably cause it was made by some Czech dudes (though it is one of the most american games I know). Graphics were stunning and gameplay was terriffic, but the story... oh, the story...
For anyone who's played it and hasn't finished it, I'd like to note that the graphics in the last level are breathtaking (it's in an art galary and every painting and statue is there... too bad you come blasting throug that place).

----------
I'm a nuclear reactor cooling system programmer, if you see me running, it's probably already too late.
November 30, 2003 12:52:19 AM

sounds a little like scarface!
which would be very, very cool!!!

----
November 30, 2003 5:15:02 AM

If you could buy it as an old game it would be really worth it... It's a 3rd player shooter, takes place in the 30's and has a really long single player campeign (and no multiplayer :(  )

----------
I'm a nuclear reactor cooling system programmer, if you see me running, it's probably already too late.
November 30, 2003 6:51:35 AM

yeah it wasnt too bad of a game. but no longevity, err.. imean after you beat it that was it.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apostalic Alcoholic.}=-</A>
November 30, 2003 8:10:47 PM

hi..

i think battlezone was one of the best games of all time... it was way before its time... the graphics and the gameplay are still amazing now... multiplayer was really fun too..

my two cents.
November 30, 2003 9:59:13 PM

yea it wasnt too bad of a game, and multiplayer kept it alive for a lil afterwards.

i give it a b- for effort.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apostalic Alcoholic.}=-</A>
December 1, 2003 3:08:31 PM

Hmm... Sacrifice was good, the Fallout Series wa very good. (You can pick up I & II for around $15)

My most underated game of all time would have to be Earthbound for the SNES... what can I say, I am a cultist.

Fear what has been, not what is to come.
December 2, 2003 12:28:18 AM

Best games ever? Here's my top picks (yes, several of these have been mentioned already):

1) Fallout/Fallout 2. Great weapons, armor, story, setting, etc. And hey - you could get married in F2, become a &$@# star, and pimp out your wife! How's that for real role-playing? Not only that, but you could go through the game as various character types with wildly different options for some missions. Play a stupid guy, and the conversations get HILARIOUS! I also really liked Fallout: Tactics, although many Fallout fans were pissed because it wasn't the Fallout 3 they were waiting for.

2) Planescape: Torment. It's a Dungeons and Dragons game, but it's D&D like most people never play it. By far the best story telling of the Black Isle D&D games. You play an immortal, and you actually have to die at times to advance the plot. How cool is that? :) 

3) Baldur's Gate Series. Yeah, it's AD&D, so if you don't like that, this isn't likely to change your mind. If you DO like that system, though, this is probably the best CRPG implementation of D&D that has been done. (IMO, Neverwinter Nights did not come close to surpassing it.)

4) Chrono Trigger. Best RPG on the consoles, bar none. Still worth playing even today.

5) System Shock 2. (The orinal was great as well, but going back and trying to replay it ruined my memories. The story was still good, but the user interface is SO outdated!) One of the scariest games I've ever played, with some AWESOME sounds. There's a mod that's been done to enhance the character models...
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_re...
Also, some enhanced textures...
http://shtup.home.att.net/downloads/shtup_alpha002.zip

6) Deus Ex (Ooooo - a sequel is coming soon!) was a well done RPG/FPS hybrid, with skills and such.

Honorable Mentions:
Note - most of these are games that were GREAT (in my opinion) when they came out, but they're old now, and some people may not be very forgiving of the ancient graphics and sound. :) 

The early Ultima games were great for their time. I don't know if I could still go back and play them, but Ulima through Ultima VI were great games and stories. The Guardian really took the series downhill. Also, check out Worlds of Ultima: the Savage Empire and Worlds of Ultima 2: Martian Dreams. Very cool games with great stories, they used a modified Ultima VI engine. (Worlds of Ultima 2 was written by Warren Spektor of Deus Ex fame. At one point in time, he said he thought it was the best story he had ever done.)

Wizardry series. Again, I don't know if I could still go back and replay them, but Wizardry 8 was a great send-off of the series.

Might and Magic III through V. They went downhill after that.

For sci-fi RPG fans, Shadowrun (SNES and Sega Genesis - the two are very different from each other) is pretty cool. Neuromancer on the PC is still a cool RPG/adventure story, but the graphics are ancient. These are two of the very first (and very few to this date) cyberpunk themed games I've played. If you like the genre, give them a shot.

There was a PC game called Hard Nova in the early 90s that I liked a lot. Also, there was a game done by New World Computing before they became part of 3DO. It was called Planet's Edge.

Finally, last but not least, if you like Fallout and Fallout 2, be sure to check out the original Wasteland: A Post-Apocalypse Adventure. This was done by several of the people who would go on to create Fallout almost a decade later. VERY old graphics, but it's still got a pretty cool story. (MANY similarities to the Fallout games.)
December 2, 2003 4:16:57 PM

Loderunner rules!

I'm waiting for a FPS loderunner.

December 2, 2003 5:35:25 PM

I know there was a DOS based loderunner by sierra and a remake in the 90s based on windows 95. Pretty cool game, I get it confused with Thexder though... another oldie.

----
December 2, 2003 9:54:16 PM

I believe on SNES you could also find Loderunner 3 and 4. Basically, it was like the original Loderunner with updated graphics. Loderunner 2 by Sierra was pseudo-3D, which was sort of odd. IMO, though, Loderunner was *not* underrated (it was about the ONLY game on the early Macs, wasn't it). Besides, it was pretty mediocre.
December 3, 2003 2:49:19 AM

How dare you say that?! Loderunner is the shiznit. REPENT!

Although the Trogdor game comes in second.

December 4, 2003 6:51:12 PM

There was a Sierra game called Realms of the Haunting, which in my mind was the perfect mix of adventure and first person shooter. Unfortunately its engine has not aged gracefully, but it was a lot of fun.

A game I feel was underrated was C&C red alert 2. C&C fans trash it all the time because of its goofy storyline, but it is a game that I still play for hours with my friends when we do LAN parties. It has fast gameplay, and good balance. The graphics are modest but not annoying, and you can play it in a 3 year old laptop without any problems. In my opinion it is the best C&C game ever made.
December 5, 2003 1:58:59 AM

I found my Loderunner floppy during thx giving but my old Mac is packed away somewhere dark so I didn't get to play it.

I also found an old AOL 1.0 floppy.

December 5, 2003 2:43:24 AM

hehe is it one of the ones packed in a cd sized paper case?
December 5, 2003 2:43:35 AM

You reminded me of 'Lords of the Realm 2' and 'Lords of Magic.' Both GREAT turn based strategy/role playing games from Sierra a few years back.
December 5, 2003 5:54:36 AM

Back in the AOL 1.0 days I think they either came in the little paper case or they were sticky glued to the inside of PC magazines. I was one of the first people on AOL. You could put in a fake checking account and they would never notice.

December 10, 2003 2:07:51 AM

I'm glad someone other than me pointed out the greatness that is the Trogdor the Burninator game. And Population Tire was also quite nice. Not to mention the marvelous Duck Pond simulation. (Feed 10 ducks to get the upgraded 16 color version!!!)

For those of you not in the know, you can go back to your boring, hum-drum existences. Or, go check out www.homestarrunner.com - visit every link you see. By the time you're done, you will have laughed your ass off. Which is much more effective than any diets I've seen.

And no, I am actually NOT one of the people who works on that web site. I just think Trogdor kicks ass, so I stole his name. Shame on me.
December 10, 2003 2:10:39 AM

trogdor rocks my face
December 10, 2003 5:41:11 AM

I haven't been to the site in 6 months or so but sisters was my favorite!

December 30, 2003 10:06:26 AM

My favorite underrated game is Terranova, also by Looking Glass Studios. Coming out in 1996, it was overshaddowed by Doom, even though it offered superior graphics and gameplay IMHO. It was one of the first tactical squad FPS and it had a cool sci-fi setting. You basiccally assembled a squad before each mission, assigning them different body armors, weapons, and an extra item slot for things like autoturrets, landmines, repair kits.
Once in game you could give on the fly commands to your squadmates on the command map in your HUD. The game is also set in outdoor areas giving you the ability to manuever your troops for crossfires, ambushes, and such. The game also has some pretty badass weapons like an energy wave gun that fries anything close to you and a long range cannon that can take out entire squads.

Tribes seems to have borrowed a lot from this game, with the powered body armor and jetpacks in outdoor environments.
December 30, 2003 12:04:18 PM

IMHO the following were the most underrated:

The Magic Candle (C64)-- one of my top 5 favorite CRPGs. This had set encounters on the world map (i.e. no random ones every two steps--Yee Ha!), a unique end game sequence that did not entail killing a final enemy, ability to make money through employment, recruitment of NPCs (the only other game doing that at the time was Ultima 4 IIRC), and best of all: no respawning except after 90 days of game time.

Realms of Arkania series: Another great RPG series. It was largely received with average reviews, but I loved it for the PnP feel I thought it had. I may have to replay this one through DOSBox.

Temple of Elemental Evil: I know it's had its share of serious problems with bugs and weak dialogue, but this game really took me back to the 80's gathered around the table with fellow gamedorks rolling 20 sided dice. This game took CRPGs back to turn based combat-- where CRPG combat belongs. A game based on a specific ruleset needs to adopt the style of combat used by that game IMHO. I'm sure there are many other underrated games I did not mention.

BrandtP
!