Cell-based PS3, in 2007?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

now it looks like PS3's release is leaning towards early 2007, if not
late 2006, even for Japan. I'm sure that will please those who don't
want to see new game consoles anytime soon.

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1606958,00.asp

Cell Processor To "Make A Sensation" In 2007?
By David Smith
6/3/2004

Sony plans for its Cell microprocesser to come into its own beginning
early in 2006, Nikkei Electronics reports today. Speaking at Sony's
recent strategic meeting last month, vice president and COO Ken
Kutaragi said the company plans to "make a sensation" with the new
processor once its ongoing Transformation 60 restructuring plan
concludes with fiscal 2006.
Sony's 2006 fiscal year ends in March 2007 -- the company just
recently concluded fiscal 2003.

The Cell, co-developed with IBM and Toshiba, is to power the company's
next game console and many other home entertainment devices, as
outlined by Sony Computer Entertainment chief technology officer Masa
Chatani at E3. In a recent interview, Sony's Nobuyuki Idei proposed a
Cell-powered television with broadband capabilities for downloading
video and other entertainment content.

The first product employing the processor will be a new computer
workstation developed with IBM. Prototypes of the workstation, which
Sony expects to prefigure the development system for its next game
console, are due for delivery late this year.

On a related note, Kutaragi addressed Sony's progress in the DVD
recorder market, which he pegged as an important sector of the
electronics business in coming years. He said that Sony plans to
implement more standardization between its different models of digital
video recorders -- the PSX multipurpose console, as well as other
products solely focused on digital video -- to save on production
costs and keep each line competitive.

Conventional wisdom expects Sony to release its next console in late
2006 or 2007, later than its rivals at Nintendo and Microsoft --
Kutaragi's comments lean towards the later end of that window. More
concrete information won't be forthcoming for some time, but we'll
report whatever details pop up until then.
More about cell based 2007
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    pay no attention to this, ps3 will still most likely be out in 2006 as was
    inferred the other week when sony said they would have cell chips in high
    end tv in Q2 2006 but said the ps3 would be the first to use the cell chip
    maybe in Q1 2006, this article features on the cell chip being put into
    devices like tv's and dvd recorders and cell phones etc
    "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > now it looks like PS3's release is leaning towards early 2007, if not
    > late 2006, even for Japan. I'm sure that will please those who don't
    > want to see new game consoles anytime soon.
    >
    > http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1606958,00.asp

    ___
    > Cell Processor To "Make A Sensation" In 2007?
    > By David Smith
    > 6/3/2004
    >
    > Sony plans for its Cell microprocesser to come into its own beginning
    > early in 2006, Nikkei Electronics reports today. Speaking at Sony's
    > recent strategic meeting last month, vice president and COO Ken
    > Kutaragi said the company plans to "make a sensation" with the new
    > processor once its ongoing Transformation 60 restructuring plan
    > concludes with fiscal 2006.
    > Sony's 2006 fiscal year ends in March 2007 -- the company just
    > recently concluded fiscal 2003.
    >

    > The Cell, co-developed with IBM and Toshiba, is to power the company's
    > next game console and many other home entertainment devices, as
    > outlined by Sony Computer Entertainment chief technology officer Masa
    > Chatani at E3. In a recent interview, Sony's Nobuyuki Idei proposed a
    > Cell-powered television with broadband capabilities for downloading
    > video and other entertainment content.
    >
    > The first product employing the processor will be a new computer
    > workstation developed with IBM. Prototypes of the workstation, which
    > Sony expects to prefigure the development system for its next game
    > console, are due for delivery late this year.
    >
    > On a related note, Kutaragi addressed Sony's progress in the DVD
    > recorder market, which he pegged as an important sector of the
    > electronics business in coming years. He said that Sony plans to
    > implement more standardization between its different models of digital
    > video recorders -- the PSX multipurpose console, as well as other
    > products solely focused on digital video -- to save on production
    > costs and keep each line competitive.
    >
    > Conventional wisdom expects Sony to release its next console in late
    > 2006 or 2007, later than its rivals at Nintendo and Microsoft --
    > Kutaragi's comments lean towards the later end of that window. More
    > concrete information won't be forthcoming for some time, but we'll
    > report whatever details pop up until then.

    ___
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    "gary watling" <gary@watling48.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > pay no attention to this, ps3 will still most likely be out in 2006 as was
    > inferred the other week when sony said they would have cell chips in high
    > end tv in Q2 2006 but said the ps3 would be the first to use the cell chip
    > maybe in Q1 2006, this article features on the cell chip being put into
    > devices like tv's and dvd recorders and cell phones etc
    > "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > now it looks like PS3's release is leaning towards early 2007, if not
    > > late 2006, even for Japan. I'm sure that will please those who don't
    > > want to see new game consoles anytime soon.

    Looks like I'm going back to PC gaming fulltime soon
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    dementia wrote:

    > Looks like I'm going back to PC gaming fulltime soon

    Because there's a dearth of fresh game material? If so, are you (or
    were you) expecting that a Cell-based PS3 will change that state of
    affairs significantly?

    RM
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    "Robert Myers" <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > dementia wrote:
    >

    > > Looks like I'm going back to PC gaming fulltime soon
    > >

    > Because there's a dearth of fresh game material? If so, are you (or
    > were you) expecting that a Cell-based PS3 will change that state of
    > affairs significantly?

    The graphics on the PS2 and XBox are almost to the systems capacity.
    In order for them to push the hardware other aspects of the game will have
    to suffer. Why would I or anyone want to wait 2 years past a systems life
    cycle for new hardware when it's already readily available with PC's? I
    left console gaming 3 1/2 years after the PS1 was released and came back 6
    months or so after the PS2 was launched. I am just saying I will most
    definitely do the same thing within the next several months to a year.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    dementia wrote:
    > "Robert Myers" <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>dementia wrote:
    >>

    >>>Looks like I'm going back to PC gaming fulltime soon
    >>>

    >>Because there's a dearth of fresh game material? If so, are you (or
    >>were you) expecting that a Cell-based PS3 will change that state of
    >>affairs significantly?
    >

    > The graphics on the PS2 and XBox are almost to the systems capacity.
    > In order for them to push the hardware other aspects of the game will have
    > to suffer. Why would I or anyone want to wait 2 years past a systems life
    > cycle for new hardware when it's already readily available with PC's? I
    > left console gaming 3 1/2 years after the PS1 was released and came back 6
    > months or so after the PS2 was launched. I am just saying I will most
    > definitely do the same thing within the next several months to a year.

    When I've asked previously about competition between PC's and game
    boxes, I've been told that the two platforms attract different kinds of
    titles and buyers, with differnt kinds of titles naturally going to
    different platforms.

    You're framing the issue entirely in terms of performance. Documents
    quoting game designers on Intel's web site have indicated that we have a
    long way to go before game designers run out of things they can think of
    to do with more graphics performance, but I'm a little surprised that
    performance limitations would be so obvious to a player.

    That is to say, I would expect more performance to show up in subtle
    ways: better lighting, more realistic textures, and so on. A
    particularly insightful player might well conclude that (say) PS2 games
    have become hardware-limited relative to PC games, but do you think that
    would be a reaction that would be common enough even to create a buzz?

    RM
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    gameplay means nothing to you then?

    "dementia" <bkr@bkr.bkr> schreef in bericht

    > "Robert Myers" <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > dementia wrote:
    > >

    > > > Looks like I'm going back to PC gaming fulltime soon
    > > >

    > > Because there's a dearth of fresh game material? If so, are you (or
    > > were you) expecting that a Cell-based PS3 will change that state of
    > > affairs significantly?
    >
    > The graphics on the PS2 and XBox are almost to the systems capacity.
    > In order for them to push the hardware other aspects of the game will have
    > to suffer. Why would I or anyone want to wait 2 years past a systems life
    > cycle for new hardware when it's already readily available with PC's?

    man, I just wait for new games not for new hardware ...I'd rather upgrade
    every 5 years than every 2 years so I could spend more on games
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    "Sergio" <NO_SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > gameplay means nothing to you then?

    Games genre's are tapped out.
    There is rarely anything new in the way of innovation. Most games today are
    just sequels or rehashes anyway.
    After this upcoming holiday season I have a feeling the current systems will
    have reached their full potential. There will be a couple games (maybe) for
    each system that will push the envelope even further, but for the most part
    it will be been there, seen it, done that after Christmas. I was hoping the
    new systems would be launched 2005. Most systems usually only last 5 years
    and the PS2 will be 5 years old in 2005.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    "Jumpkick" <nospam@me.com> wrote in message

    > "dementia" <bkr@bkr.bkr> schreef in bericht
    > >
    > > "Robert Myers" <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > > > Because there's a dearth of fresh game material? If so, are you (or
    > > > were you) expecting that a Cell-based PS3 will change that state of
    > > > affairs significantly?
    > >
    > > The graphics on the PS2 and XBox are almost to the systems capacity.
    > > In order for them to push the hardware other aspects of the game will
    have
    > > to suffer. Why would I or anyone want to wait 2 years past a systems
    life
    > > cycle for new hardware when it's already readily available with PC's?
    >
    > man, I just wait for new games not for new hardware ...I'd rather upgrade
    > every 5 years

    The PS2 will be 5 years old next year.
    That is when I was originally expecting the new console to be launched from
    Sony.

    > than every 2 years so I could spend more on games

    Who purchases new hardware every 2 years?
    Did you just purchase a PS2?
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    > dementia wrote:
    > > "Robert Myers" <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > >>Because there's a dearth of fresh game material? If so, are you (or
    > >>were you) expecting that a Cell-based PS3 will change that state of
    > >>affairs significantly?
    > >

    > > The graphics on the PS2 and XBox are almost to the systems capacity.
    > > In order for them to push the hardware other aspects of the game will
    have
    > > to suffer. Why would I or anyone want to wait 2 years past a systems
    life
    > > cycle for new hardware when it's already readily available with PC's? I
    > > left console gaming 3 1/2 years after the PS1 was released and came back
    6
    > > months or so after the PS2 was launched. I am just saying I will most
    > > definitely do the same thing within the next several months to a year.
    > >

    > When I've asked previously about competition between PC's and game
    > boxes, I've been told that the two platforms attract different kinds of
    > titles and buyers, with differnt kinds of titles naturally going to
    > different platforms.

    To me a gamer is a gamer.
    FPS, Racing, Flight sims and RPG's shine on the PC as well as consoles, with
    the exception of FPS on the PS2.

    > You're framing the issue entirely in terms of performance. Documents
    > quoting game designers on Intel's web site have indicated that we have a
    > long way to go before game designers run out of things they can think of
    > to do with more graphics performance, but I'm a little surprised that
    > performance limitations would be so obvious to a player.

    I disagree.
    If you have to look hard for graphic improvements, are they then really an
    improvement?

    > That is to say, I would expect more performance to show up in subtle
    > ways: better lighting, more realistic textures, and so on. A
    > particularly insightful player might well conclude that (say) PS2 games
    > have become hardware-limited relative to PC games, but do you think that
    > would be a reaction that would be common enough even to create a buzz?

    Not among casual gamers which make up thr vast majority but to die hards
    like myself........it matters.
    I am just saying "I" will be moving on to my PC mainstream after this
    upcoming holiday season. My PS2 is fighting neck and neck with my GameCube
    bottom rung. I cant remember the last time I fired it up.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    In article <10ce24ak6lvaif4@corp.supernews.com>,
    "dementia" <bkr@bkr.bkr> wrote:

    > The PS2 will be 5 years old next year.
    > That is when I was originally expecting the new console to be launched from
    > Sony.

    That's what I did, go from PS1 to a PC in '98 for online gaming as well
    as better graphics. Then got PS2 in 2000.

    Thought about getting a PC again the past couple of years but online
    sports games are fine on PS2 for now. I could spend a couple thousand
    for a new rig or wait until fall/winter of 2005 when at least Xbox 2 is
    expected to launch.

    Maybe even look at PSP if it's not too ridiculously priced to tide me
    over.

    But PS2 games are still viable. Maybe not the prettiest but they can be
    progressive. Xbox of course looks better but it can't really do enough
    720p games that well. ESPN Baseball can't run online in HDTV mode and
    ESPN NFL 2K5 won't have 720p mode.

    True HDTV resolutions will come with next generations. Then the PC
    won't have quite the resolution advantage over TV-based consoles.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    "poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
    > In article <10ce24ak6lvaif4@corp.supernews.com>,
    > "dementia" <bkr@bkr.bkr> wrote:
    >
    > > The PS2 will be 5 years old next year.
    > > That is when I was originally expecting the new console to be launched
    from
    > > Sony.
    >

    > That's what I did, go from PS1 to a PC in '98 for online gaming as well
    > as better graphics. Then got PS2 in 2000.
    >
    > Thought about getting a PC again the past couple of years but online
    > sports games are fine on PS2 for now. I could spend a couple thousand
    > for a new rig or wait until fall/winter of 2005 when at least Xbox 2 is
    > expected to launch.

    I thought MS said they wont be releasing their new system until 2006?

    > Maybe even look at PSP if it's not too ridiculously priced to tide me
    > over.
    >
    > But PS2 games are still viable. Maybe not the prettiest but they can be
    > progressive. Xbox of course looks better but it can't really do enough
    > 720p games that well. ESPN Baseball can't run online in HDTV mode and
    > ESPN NFL 2K5 won't have 720p mode.
    >
    > True HDTV resolutions will come with next generations. Then the PC
    > won't have quite the resolution advantage over TV-based consoles.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    Show me one FPS game on the XBox that runs above (typo - I meant = 30fps
    nopt 60) 30fps. If you do I will
    bet it has poor textures and lighting effects or suffers from severe drops
    in frame rate and slowdown.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    In article <10cbnkcgo72364f@corp.supernews.com>, bkr@bkr.bkr says...

    >"gary watling" <gary@watling48.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> pay no attention to this, ps3 will still most likely be out in
    >> 2006 as was
    >> inferred the other week when sony said they would have cell chips
    >> in high
    >> end tv in Q2 2006 but said the ps3 would be the first to use the
    >> cell chip
    >> maybe in Q1 2006, this article features on the cell chip being put
    >> into
    >> devices like tv's and dvd recorders and cell phones etc
    >> "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > now it looks like PS3's release is leaning towards early 2007,
    >> > if not
    >> > late 2006, even for Japan. I'm sure that will please those who
    >> > don't
    >> > want to see new game consoles anytime soon.
    >

    >Looks like I'm going back to PC gaming fulltime soon

    Who cares?
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    In article <ubnxc.20335$Sw.6595@attbi_s51>, rmyers1400@comcast.net says...

    >dementia wrote:
    >

    >> Looks like I'm going back to PC gaming fulltime soon
    >>

    >Because there's a dearth of fresh game material? If so, are you (or
    >were you) expecting that a Cell-based PS3 will change that state of
    >affairs significantly?
    >
    >RM

    No, Like most PC gamers, he's a WAREZ dude.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    "Chris Lee" <clee2@envirolink.org> wrote in message
    > In article <10cbnkcgo72364f@corp.supernews.com>, bkr@bkr.bkr says...
    > >

    > >"gary watling" <gary@watling48.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >> pay no attention to this, ps3 will still most likely be out in
    > >> 2006 as was
    > >> inferred the other week when sony said they would have cell chips
    > >> in high
    > >> end tv in Q2 2006 but said the ps3 would be the first to use the
    > >> cell chip
    > >> maybe in Q1 2006, this article features on the cell chip being put
    > >> into
    > >> devices like tv's and dvd recorders and cell phones etc
    > >> "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > >Looks like I'm going back to PC gaming fulltime soon
    > >

    > Who cares?

    Nobody cares.... about your opinion on any given subject
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    In article <10coi5lq32sse11@corp.supernews.com>, bkr@bkr.bkr says...

    >"Chris Lee" <clee2@envirolink.org> wrote in message
    >> In article <10cbnkcgo72364f@corp.supernews.com>, bkr@bkr.bkr
    >> says...
    >> >

    >> >"gary watling" <gary@watling48.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> >Looks like I'm going back to PC gaming fulltime soon
    >> >

    >> Who cares?
    >
    >Nobody cares.... about your opinion on any given subject

    I'm *SO* hurt by this....really I am.....

CPUs Video Sony Games PlayStation Product